PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Blaster?

bbechtel16
10-14-2002, 08:15 PM
What do you guys think about the blaster? My nieghbor is considering getting one to replace his 250SX. Sounds like a cheap horsepower quad, and I mean that in a good way. Also, what mods would you recommend and about how much $$$?

MustangChris
10-14-2002, 08:44 PM
Buddy of mine has one, and he hasn't had one problem with his yet. His had it about 4-5 years now and taken it through hell and back.

HemiChallenger71
10-14-2002, 09:14 PM
Vito's performance has a lot of cheep, i mean dirt cheep big HP gain mods for blasters. Check them out in Dirt Wheels, they are about 1 hour from me.

ATCRYDER
10-14-2002, 09:15 PM
Blasters rock, i must say..especially the new ones (or you can jsut buy the 03 fenders, headlight, and put a hydraul. rear brake kit on & have yurslef a 2003!).

Theyll aftermarket parts availability is pretty amazing...im sure its up there with the TRX250R and Banshee nowadays.

Rob

Tri-Z_Jim
10-14-2002, 09:51 PM
www.trengaracing.com
Anything and everything blaster related. They do not sell protection against 4x4's though :clap :D

Tri-Z_Jim
10-14-2002, 09:57 PM
.....The Polaris 700 will drive over it too :(

catfishwhisker
10-14-2002, 10:36 PM
The Blaster also has a bad rep. for the rod bearings going out. The rods are weak too. The bad thing is that when the bearing goes, most of the time the big end of the rod will scrape the cases. If it's not too bad, it can be fixed pretty easily, if not, the cases have to be replaced. They're not cheap! Also, take the oil pump out, throw it as far as you can, put a blockoff plate on it and mix your own gas. That way you know exactly how much oil you have in the gas. Back on the rod problem; I've seen about ten of these locally that have gone out. If Yamaha would upgrade the rods, they would would a great little 4-wheeler. I don't know about the news ones, maybe they've realized the problem and have got it fixed. The good thing about the new ones is that they have hydraulic disk brakes all the way around. Those drum fronts and mechanical disk they used to have weren't worth a hoot. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of buying one, just do like your doing, and check around and get some input on them, and then make your decision.

TECATE4ME4EVER
10-14-2002, 11:39 PM
i had to fix my cuz's blaster cause of the rod bearing and it was not evern one year old buy luckuly it ran out of gas and he filled it up and tryed to start it and he said it was kinda ruff so he brout it to me and found out what it was it did not have vary much damage just replace the rod and piston now it back to CHERRY COMDITION! ;)

200xer
10-19-2002, 12:00 AM
my cousin seized his up within 8 months of use. But it was running lean and he never checked it. I think they are nice little quads.

Tucson 200x
11-03-2002, 07:47 PM
Keep im stock dont mess around with anything and they are almost bulletproof 8)

250rmanfmf
11-03-2002, 11:36 PM
good quads that you dont spend an arm and a leg for. But you can beef them out too, but for the money they are great.

yamaha 250
11-19-2002, 12:39 PM
i have a friend who had one (but it got stolen) and he rode the hell out of it and it never broke down tell he flipped and it still started all he did wAS snap some kind of cable i forget what it was. but other than that it was a good machine!