PDA

View Full Version : Needs advice on what to do about bad ebay deal

Louis Mielke
05-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Ok so i bought this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4635845128&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1

Didn't look to bad in the pictures and the guy insisted that a piston and cam would have me going again. my intention was to use the bottom end to replace my bottom end that has chain damage and resell the rest on ebay. $450 wa a little high in my book but i figured I could make some of that back by reselling some of the bleedoff. So i get the engine and low and behold guy was lying the entire thing is trashed. Obviously ran without oil. Rods trashed, rockers are trashed, journals look ok, but probably trashed.. nothig but the engine cases and cylidner are any good on this engine.

So I tell the guy whats up and request a measly $150 refund. i thought this was fair since a he described the item incorrectly and shipped it way late, took him two weeks to ship and then I received a week later so almost three weeks since i bought it now and paypaled the same day.

I didn't think $150 was a unreasonable request but he insisted he shipped it with oil in it (WTF? guys smoking crack, an unsealed engien with oil in it? suuurrreee) and refuses to give me any money with the sob story that, it cost me $100 to ship so that leaves me with only $200! Aww poor baby, too bad I have nothing to show for my $450.

So here's were my fellow ebayers come in, Do I risk getting a retaliation neg feedback and give him bad feedback? and Also should I pursue a refund through paypal, as I paid for this with paypal via my credit card?

Any thoughts and oppinions would be appriciated.

x.system
05-26-2006, 08:56 AM
From paypal

I received goods that are not as described. Can I dispute the payment?

Yes, you can file a not as described dispute for eBay items only through the Resolution Center. Please be aware that you may be asked to return the merchandise to the seller at your expense using a shipping service that can be tracked online. Learn how to file a buyer dispute with our step-by-step tutorial.

If you think you fall into this catagory file a claim. Paypal will put a hold on his funds if they are still in paypal until it is resolved.

Don't leave feedback until the deal is complete. If you plan to file a claim then you are not done so don't leave him feedback. When you file you will have to describe why you filed. Also, save all emails from your seller.

dreadhed
05-26-2006, 09:04 AM
I would tell the seller you will file with paypal to get your money back if you two can not come to agreement. When ever someone says motor just needs a little of this & that I just figure the motor may be shot. Alot of people don't have the time or knowlegde to check every thing. Same thing with used ATC/Vs. I see them all the time saying just needs carb work or some other part, but I just figure I am buying a parts machine if it does not run & that is how I figure what I would pay for it.

ClayW
05-26-2006, 12:20 PM
I would definately be trying to get my money back regardless of what he may do feedback wise. Hes the seller. The negative will hurt him worse than you.

Clay

phreakboy
05-26-2006, 10:45 PM
file through ebay, and then work with the dispute console, once you start the process I am betting he will work with you, if you win and he leave a neg you will most likely be able to get it removed.

dickieg89
05-27-2006, 11:36 AM
In my opinion, leaving negative feedback speaks volumes. I always check a sellers feedback before I bid on anything over $1. That being said, see if paypal and ebay can get involved.

The only time I had that happen to me was I sold a honda gas tank, the guy had 10 days to pay, never contacted me or anything, never returned emails. I relisted it and sold it before he emailed me asking for where to send payment, he threw a fit and initiated that 3rd party thing that ebay has, it was resolved, i pulled the negative feedback I left for him and he left me alone.

Point to my story is do it the legal beagle way with paypal and ebay, save all your emails from him and you'll end up with a fair deal.

phreakboy
05-27-2006, 01:33 PM
In my opinion, leaving negative feedback speaks volumes. I always check a sellers feedback before I bid on anything over $1. That being said, see if paypal and ebay can get involved..

Yes, but you also have to realise that when most sellers get a negative feedback left for them, it kinda is more discouraging to even bother trying to help the buyer out.

I have gone through stuff where the buyer leaves a neg before they even contact me about a problem and I am a nice person, but I loose all patients with people that do that and dont even want to bother with them. You have 90 days to leave feedback, and really it should be more of a last resort than some people think it should be.

Louis Mielke
05-28-2006, 01:28 AM
i decided to take it on the chin, cut my loses and sell what good parts are left of the engine afte ri get what i need off of it. I'll try selling the bad parts too, namely the head but i stated very plainly in my auction that they were from adamaged engine and stated the visible damage.

I left him a neutral feedback with a statement that could be interpreted as a negative for the fact that I should have known this was a too good to be true. I'm still just peeved that the man said it was a usable bottom end and it turned out to be junk. Oh well you win some you lose some. this was just a bad hand for me.