PDA

View Full Version : What new small quad is recommended?

lisnup65
03-24-2003, 12:48 AM
I am looking possibly to pick up a new Quad. I only run on 3 wheels right and I truely prefer the 3 wheels to the 4. I am looking for something small that I can let the wife or others putt around on. I dont care much for anyone riding my 250R or 350X. I just sold my 200X which was the perfect machine for the previously mentioned. I am thinking that the Blaster has the best bang for the buck, but I hear that relaibility from the Yamaha 2 stroke is very poor. I have yet to meet anyone locally with one that has not had engine trouble. I am not looking for a race machine, just soemthing for fun. I am thinking new so I dont have to non-stop wrench on the machine. The other option was the Honda 250. Its around $500.00 more, but its gas-n-go Honda 4 stroke. SDont know about the new ones, but the old ones just keep running!!!!

If you were in the market for a fun quad that you would feel comfortable letting your wife ride and occasionaly playing on your self without spending more than $4200.00, what would it be.

Fun, practicality, and reliability are the keys.

balelorf
03-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Depends upon what you ride...tracks woods etc find a 250r or blaster if it's wife/you riding it, or maybe even find a used 300ex (more so wife bike though), I've never seen reliability issues with the blaster motor in the group that I ride with, if your going to ride it though be ready to pipe the motor and port and polish it, not much go on that 200 plus the transmission is really low geared especially in first to second.

You can also find a used Banshee for around $3500 or so, that should be in good shape, I got my wife's bike for 3900 2 years ago with works shocks up front and basically bone stock motor with brand new top end and haven't had to touch the motor until I just decided it needed to be faster this winter.

Get a set of the SST pipes or Torque pipes from FMF and the thing actually makes enough bottom end for those people out there who don't give the thing enough gas to go, allthough I'm really impressed with the FMF SST pipes on top thing has some serious go on my wifes bike.

lisnup65
03-24-2003, 03:21 PM
Depends upon what you ride...tracks woods etc find a 250r or blaster if it's wife/you riding it, or maybe even find a used 300ex (more so wife bike though), I've never seen reliability issues with the blaster motor in the group that I ride with, if your going to ride it though be ready to pipe the motor and port and polish it, not much go on that 200 plus the transmission is really low geared especially in first to second.

You can also find a used Banshee for around $3500 or so, that should be in good shape, I got my wife's bike for 3900 2 years ago with works shocks up front and basically bone stock motor with brand new top end and haven't had to touch the motor until I just decided it needed to be faster this winter.

Get a set of the SST pipes or Torque pipes from FMF and the thing actually makes enough bottom end for those people out there who don't give the thing enough gas to go, allthough I'm really impressed with the FMF SST pipes on top thing has some serious go on my wifes bike.

Thank you for the insight. I would not in the least consider a Banshee for the wifes ride. She never rode until I got the 200X a few years ago. She putz around on that and thats about it. She is more interested in doing more riding with my Son and myself this year. We do a lot of trail riding as we do not have wide open spaces around here. I may have a line on a used Warrior that may be a nice choice. It at least has electric start and reverse for her. I am not really looking to dump monies in mods on the machines either. This is not going to be a racer. I want long term dependability that she can hone her skills.
I have heard horror stories about the Blaster motors from local shop mechanics. I guess they reall have a proble with some cheap gears or what not that cause top end faliure like clock work. I looked at 4 used Blasters locally today. All machines are 2000 and newer. They all have been bored at least 1 time. 2 of them multiple times. I got the same answer, Why? They said the were out riding all was fine then the piston broke. Maybe its isolated, but I also have read online that their is problems. I guess you are better off to pre-mix and not use the injector set-up.

balelorf
03-24-2003, 07:33 PM
For trail riding, go for a 4-stroke, reliability and ease of maintance all the way. I can't remember if the 300ex had reverse or not, I never liked the warriors I've ridden because they are really nose heavy. The 300ex was a much better sport quad per-say.

ATCRYDER
03-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Go with an Automatic Sport Utility Quad and get it used.

1. Yamaha Kodiak 450

2. Yamaha Kodiak 400 (00 or 01)

3. Polaris Xplorer 400 4x4

4. Polaris Explorer 400 4x4

5. Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4

TimSr
03-24-2003, 09:29 PM
In my opinion the Blaster is extremely reliable and probably is the most bang for the buck. Most reliability issues they have deal with modifications and not the stock motor. However if your willing to spend just a few more bucks, the 300EX is also a good choice. You didint mention the weight and size of the rider, but from the models being considered I would also highly recommend the 250EX with electric start, reverse, auto clutch, and shaft drive. This one is very popular with women and smaller guys.

200xer
03-24-2003, 09:53 PM
My mom got a new Honda Rancher last year, I think it was like $4400 otd though. Excellent machine. My mom has back problems but can ride it no problem. The stock tires are awesome in everything, even though they don't seem like they would. Plenty of power, handles amazing for a big wheeler. So little to go wrong with it. I would stay away from Polaris. A friend of ours got a Trail Boss for his wife and the Rancher is so much nicer, but it is more expensive. Recon is also a good choice, even though it is smaller. You can't go wrong with a Honda.

lisnup65
03-24-2003, 11:43 PM
Well thank you all for the input. If this deal for the 2001 Warrior goes through, then that is her new machine. It would fit the bill. It maybe front heavy, sit a bit taller, etc...., but the wife will be happy that she is on 4 wheels, electric start, and reverse for when the 4 wheelers turning radius can cut it. Its a awesome deal also. 1 Owner, older(50ish) gentleman that has no use for it anymore. I pick up 40 minutes away for $2500.00. KBB list the machines trade in value at $2630.00 and retail at $3800.00. The machine is clean with original rubber all the way around with 80% of thread left. The only thing wrong is his pressure washer blew the factory decals off and the plastic has typical trail scratches.

If this fall through then I will again be on the look out.

lisnup65
03-27-2003, 08:06 PM
Again I would like to say Thank you to those who have given input on this. The Warrior I was looking at fell through as the Jerk I was looking to purchase it from sold it out from under me while I was in-route to his home. :evil:
I since said the hell with it and picked up a new 03 Blaster. It was not my first choice nor am I really happy with the purchase, but my wife and son both liked it. It will be delivered this Saturday! I did not get the Electric start and reverse that I was hoping for, but they offered me what I feel is a fair price. I was able to get the machine out the door with all taxes, setup, D-N-R fees, etc for $3011.62. The macine itself was $2843.00, which I felt was good for a machine that list for $3200.00. I know their is next to no room to work on such a small margain, but they worked with me. I was going to go with the Honda 250EX, but they were not as willing to work with me on that one. It would have been $3974.00. I could not see at this time spending the extra grand for reverse and electric start. I know that I would have liked the Honda 4-stroke dependability though.
Well I hope that all works out in the future with this machine.

200xer
03-27-2003, 09:23 PM
Take good care of it and I don't think you'll have many problems at all. Sounds like a good move to me, and I'm a Honda fan hehe.

HemiChallenger71
03-27-2003, 09:49 PM
If I were you I would look heavily at used blasters or 250EX's, or 300EX's. Sounds liek other people will be riding and beating on it as well, so why buy something new to get beat up?

lisnup65
03-27-2003, 11:51 PM
If I were you I would look heavily at used blasters or 250EX's, or 300EX's. Sounds liek other people will be riding and beating on it as well, so why buy something new to get beat up?

Because my machines are actually babied. Most Blasters I see have been piped, jetted, etc. All these machines are a min of .20 overbored. This machine will never be beaten. I am a stickler about taking care of items. If you seen the pics of my other trikes on the site you will see what I mean. I spent about $600.00 more for a new one than most people are asking for a 1-3 year old one. I felt that the $600.00 was worth knowing the complete history of the machine along with how its ridden every time its taken out.

ATCkrazy
03-28-2003, 04:12 PM
I'd go with a kawasaki KLF 220 or 300 bayou, there very reliabile, 4 stroke, good suspension,shaft drive etc, and there cheap on parts, I had a 89 bayou, beat to hell but was reliabile as hell, and great on the trails after I put cheng shin mud busters on it, and there cheap, 3 grand new as i recall, Im thinking about buying a new KLF 300 this summer, just my .02 cents.

Tman00169
03-28-2003, 04:57 PM
no what your problem is man the japanise trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro. the only way to go is the way out. the Polaris way. iv ran eventhing and polaris is best for allround greatnes. but i adment honda is king of 3-wheelers.

lisnup65
03-28-2003, 05:46 PM
no what your problem is man the japanise trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro. the only way to go is the way out. the Polaris way. iv ran eventhing and polaris is best for allround greatnes. but i adment honda is king of 3-wheelers.

I would need to disagree with ya on this one majorly. I have a Polaris Scrambler 90 that my son rides. The folks I ride with almost all have Polaris machines from Trailblazer 250's to the big 700cc utility machines. I have seen how cheap they are cause something is always breaking. Polaris comes out with a design, and instead of fixing design flaws, they spend the engineer's time on making the machine cheaper to build while increasing consumer cost. I have owned and loved Polaris snowmobiles, but I will never waste $.01 of monies that I have worked for on a Polaris Quad. The new Predator looks promising, but I can just see its build wuality going out the door in the next few years.

I may be off base here, but I help repair these machines on an almost weekly basis. 10 of us go out riding, I am on a Honda 3-wheeler, their is a Honda Recon, and a Yamaha Warrior. The rest are all Polaris machines. Well we do maintance on the 3 listed(except for change a bent axle on the warrior), but we are always wrenching a problem on at least 1 Polaris. This week its was a the thumb throttle lever fell off the machine, and the linkage for the reverse mechanism on the Scrambler 500 snapped in 2. The piece was cheap white metal. A craftsman wrench retired it life to make a new linkage that will never break.

200xer
03-28-2003, 07:01 PM
Anyone that thinks that Polaris makes good quality machines is living in a dream world. The Predator does look like it is built well though. So maybe Polaris is finally seeing the light.

lisnup65
04-03-2003, 01:27 PM
The Blaster was delivered last night. Now is the part that sucks with any machine= the break in period. I was playing around a bit last night and to be honest the machine is definitly more than I gave it credit for. I cannot get on the machine yet, but I can tell that it would whooop the 200X(stock) that I just sold. I have not got the RPM's up yet as I cant, but the machine in stock form feels quick and semi-responsive. Other than the smallish size I really think this was a good choice for my wife. For $3G's out the door I cant think of a better quad, especially since it is new. The Black and Red color scheme is nice, but this Black plastic is going to show all the scratches!! :(
The dealer I got the machine from made up with their low price by doing poor prep. The tail light was not connected, the machine would not idle, and it took a whole 12 minutes of putting around to losen the chain to 4.5" of play. I learned quickly that the Blaster's idle speed is not adjusted on the carb. After studinging it for 15 minutes I found the adjuster under the seat. :?:
I will keep those interested updated on how the quad holds up and how the wife likes it.

TimSr
04-03-2003, 02:34 PM
I knew youd be happy with it!
Hey just one note on the Polaris vs. Japanese debate. The 50 and 90 Polaris Scramblers are actually made in Taiwan by the fine folks who bring you E-Ton, and they are of excellent quality, that surpasses the LT80 which is the ony variable v-belt Jap design being offered.
As far as larger quads, I too would agree that the Predator looks promising but hasnt been around long enough to prove itself. Some of their low end adult models certainly leave something to be desired, by their better models seem to be of decent quality if they are of your preference. While Polaris is continuously trying to equal the Japanse, I think to claim they are hands down superior is really a stretch!

200xer
04-03-2003, 11:52 PM
good to hear about the blaster, it is the best bang for the buck with sport in mind.

Timbo1
04-21-2003, 12:38 AM
Whoever said Polaris is the best in any case is WACK!! Im not a real fan of fast sport quads, it seems like a utility quad would have been a better choice considering a woman and kid would be riding.

Andrew
04-21-2003, 06:56 PM
warriors are good quads,single cyl350 4 stroke,they look and perform good,and u can usually pick a nice used 1 up for around $2000-$3000,and they have some real smooth power to em,and like i said they are reliable and look very sharp,and u can usually find em on e-bay,that would probably be trailprotrailpro best bet,good luck