PDA

View Full Version : First time riding with MX boots

Solid Snake
06-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Got a nice pair of cheap but new MSR motocross boots on ebay last week. Took my CR125 out for the first time wearing them and man it is taking time to adjust to these things. It's hard to shift and use the rear brake compared to when I wear my sneakers, I guess it's because I can't really move my ankles like I usually do. Have to lower my brake pedal height and go out again before I go to an MX track for the first time which I really am looking forward to.

New2ATC
06-01-2006, 08:54 PM
yeah I felt the same way the first time I wore mine, i got used to it and wont ride without em now..

TimSr
06-01-2006, 09:04 PM
You might find they work a lot better with the shifter moved up a notch higher on the shaft. Some MX boot toes are taller than others, but most all are taller than workboots, and the shifter needs to be adjusted to your boots. Its a lot easier to shift a high shifter down than it is to get your toe in there to shift a lower shifter up.

deathman53
06-01-2006, 09:25 PM
When I switched to mx boots in 01, the shifters had to go a few notches up and riding changed. Now I pull my foot up to upshift and step down on the shifter to shift down. Many people I ride with think how my shifters and brake pedal are wierd and too high, but they can see the change riding boots do. I have to say they saved me 3 times too, I won't ride without them. I finally wore out that pair and I have to get another.

smokinwrench
06-01-2006, 11:48 PM
I always wear riding boots if there is any chance we are gonna get wild. If I'm just on a putt with the kids I won't wear them.

daputz
06-02-2006, 12:05 AM
I feel like I am doing the storm trooper march when I have to walk with them on:lol:

A guy at work rolled his foot up in a tire this last weekend, makes me think how many times I should have been wearing boots and I wasn't:(

smokinwrench
06-02-2006, 12:18 AM
After a few rides in them they will feel better then sneakers. I feel safer when wearign them. I can jump further also because the arch of my foot doesn't hurt from wrapping around the pegs when I land.

Solid Snake
06-02-2006, 03:01 AM
Yeh I moved my gear shift lever up one notch and rode again, definately felt much better. They are pretty tall at the toes like TimSr said and I even had to adjust my rear brake so that it sits lower because I'm used to resting my foot on the lever and with the boots that presses the lever down too hard and applies the brakes. Everything is a little better now but I may need to adjust each pedal some more.

New2ATC
06-02-2006, 10:38 AM
yeah i have no rear brakes as of right now so I dont know what thas going to be like, but the shifter didnt have to move much either, as it was already high.. Theyve saved me already a few times, once from a broken ankle, so I dont ride without them..

Tri-Z 250
06-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Spend another $20 and get knee and shin guards for yourself....Trust me next to your boots, and head gear they're a must have. I rode for years without them and have paid the pipper for some small get offs. I think Thor makes a simple par for around $16. You'll love the boots after you break them in:beer

jason 32
06-02-2006, 08:42 PM
yep sounds like me
you can adjust your shifter and brake for your boots
they will never move or feel like shoes but you will get use to them
i have the same boots if they had move ment they wouldnt protect you
there even stiff when broke in

Tri-ZNate
06-02-2006, 08:56 PM
hmm maybe I need to get some boots. I have pulled a few wonders like not breaking my toes when I ran into a tree with my footpeg and landing on my Ankle landing a jump and somehow didnt break my ankle. How much does a good pair go for?

Solid Snake
06-03-2006, 01:21 AM
If you scope out your size boots on ebay long enough (I watched probably 20 pairs go by for about 2 weeks) then you should be able to get a very good used pair for around 65-80 dollars. I waited long enough and got MSR Wolrd Tour boots NIB for 56.00 and I also looked into the cheaper new pairs like O'Neal Element boots but had to go with the better deal. Still working on breaking them in, only put about 3 hours total on them so far.

Dirtcrasher
06-04-2006, 02:26 PM
hmm maybe I need to get some boots. I have pulled a few wonders like not breaking my toes when I ran into a tree with my footpeg and landing on my Ankle landing a jump and somehow didnt break my ankle. How much does a good pair go for?

I bought a brand new pair of GAERNE boots for 230$ 12 years ago. They are still not worn out and have saved me a broken axle numerous times.

IMO, boots actually make you a better rider, they stiffen up your ankle alot and give you more confidence. They stink to break in but thats it. There's nothing wrong with 60$ EBAY boots, I just chose to invest in new ones a long time ago.

OldManDM
06-04-2006, 11:28 PM
yup,keep your eye on ebay,best place to buy...bought my Alpinestars(expensive damn boots at any shop)off ebay brand new for $60...and they are more comfortable than my well broken in wolverine work boots!