PDA

View Full Version : 500r ride report

Louis Mielke
06-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Alright everyone my 500r is now 100% mechanically complete. Its not pretty and the cosmetic rebuild is planned once I get back from trikefest but otherwise I've ridden it for about a solid hour now.

First off the bat, THE TORQUE!!! gawd I love the torque. I mean it I freakin got off and hugged the bike after the first ride cause I'm in love with the torque!

As far as handling, I honestly was surpirsed it handles fairly well even with its high center of gravity. The bike is definitly tall, and sliding into a turn definitly takes some repositioning but just straight out cruising, its rides really well, very plush and the vibration is barley noticable. it totally soaks up the rough stuff and it literaly just glided over a couple loose stone piles we have here. I loved it, it was just like floating right over those piles.The high center of gravity is a little bit to get used to. I didn't have too much trouble conpensating for it.

It just rolls in 1st and 2nd, I mean thats really all i have room for here at my appartment. No room to open it up but just playing around the shop and house, 1sta nd 2nd were great for just cruising. The front end is definitly light out of the hole, but I ithnk my longer swingarm does actually help keep the front end down quite well. The little bit I was able to ride in third was hairy. Bout the time I got moving I was outa space and hand to down shift etc etc. Overall I'm extremely happy with the first iteration of the bike.

Now, since I'm not too proud to bash my own creation heres the bad/what needs to change.

The bike is undoubtably tall. A 2" drop would help alot. I plan on rebuilding the front end with inverted cartridge forks which should allow me to lower the bike a bit. That should help. I also think an extended axel would help dramatically too.

The rear tires roll alot. The 22" tires just flex too much and making a hard turn you just feel the rear sidewalls dive. Obviously a tire change is in order. That will help the handling a thousand fold. Unfortunatly I don't know if 20" tires would be a good idea. I'll probably play with that at trike fest.

Obviously there's alot of vibration, which translates to acouple minor rattles. Not a real big deal but annoying. Just something more to work on.

My kicker does indeed clear my fenders....just barely. So my heal often hits the fender. Oh well maybe some trimming will alleviate it.

The accu-start works well, But the 500 is still iritating to start in some situations. On inclines specifically.

I stall it alot. The clutch lever I have is oddly shaped and therefore doesn't have the correct travel. Need to play with it. I will definitly be getting a13oz flywheel weight as I hear that reduces clutch stall alot.

Overall it handles well and totally rips. The torque is just awsome. I'm fairly pleased with he asstetics as of now but a full cosmetic rebuild is planned along with some gusseting and the inverted front end and extended axel. Other than those few gripes I'm extremely pleased and with further work I'll make it even better,

It will be at trikefest, maybe we can have a littlegathering of bike to trike conversions? Seems there will be quite a few there.

mean350
06-03-2006, 07:33 PM
post up some vids or pics of it!!!!

Louis Mielke
06-03-2006, 07:40 PM
I can't get any vids tonight. Maybe I'll try and put something together tomarrow. Here's some pics of it in the truck. Sorry no riding pics.

mean350
06-03-2006, 07:43 PM
awesome!!!! definetly in need of some lowering thoough

Louis Mielke
06-03-2006, 07:46 PM
here's some more side by side pics but this was a few days ago before I got to ride it. Still not done in these pics.

200x Basket
06-03-2006, 08:05 PM
nice aint it????? i love mine. there is a secret to starting the 500r. once you figure it out you can start it easy. if you still have trouble then a new pick up coil should be on order.

1. with the kill switch off and the choke on, kick the engine over 4 times or so.
2. now kick it over slowly until the piston starts to come up. you should feel it start to get harder. if you go to far then you can feel a easy spot at top dead center then it is on the way down again. so with the piston at BOTTOM and starting to go up, kick the mess out of it.

it works the 500 is different and does not start well if you try with the piston at the top.

Louis Mielke
06-03-2006, 08:08 PM
I have no problems starting it. Really the accu-start is very nice and its starts easily with the blaster kicker. its just that my fenders are so close they're slightly in the way. Just my pains for avoiding removable or folder fenders. Just gota make some adjustments.

PS: You should really keep that 200x. its awsome and shouldn't be parted. I'd give you $50 just for you to keep it and keep it whole.

Tri-ZNate
06-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Louis I cant wait to see this thing. I'll be riding out with Brapp ;)

Bryan Raffa
06-03-2006, 08:17 PM
nice lou cant wait too see it in person!!

Louis Mielke
06-03-2006, 08:32 PM
i really have no idea how I'm gonna get it to brapps hosue AND take the 250r too. Its so freakin big. I thought I'd get them both in that little toyota but I'm not so sure now.

Tri-ZNate
06-03-2006, 09:05 PM
put the 250r in first so the rear wheels are againts the cab and are on one side and push the 500r in the opposite way. Looks like you may have enought room to do it.

200x Basket
06-03-2006, 09:13 PM
PS: You should really keep that 200x. its awsome and shouldn't be parted. I'd give you $50 just for you to keep it and keep it whole.

:w00t: that is a great offer but i have a race car habit that i need to fund. i jsut built a 438" nitrous gulping beast that i need to buy a tranny for :(

i am actually trying to sell the 500r too :(

KASEY
06-03-2006, 11:08 PM
great job ,,, i am glad to see more good reviews for the power amd torque of the 500,,,,,, it sux though,,, you will never be happy with the power of a 250 again,,,, been there!!!!

Kintore
06-03-2006, 11:12 PM
SWEET! Cant wait to see it louis!

BRRAPPP! TF 2 days and counting for me. :w00t:

New2ATC
06-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Sweet, looks fast... And you can stand one trike up on the grab bar up against the cab and the other behind it to get the two to fit, thats what we do in my buddys f150 with our quads and it works.. Just make sure you turn the gas off, and let it sit level for a few minutes after unloading so the oil can go back to where it needs to go.