PDA

View Full Version : 1981 yamaha yt125 tri moto are my reeds still good

yamaha125trimoto
03-25-2003, 04:42 PM
that is the only thing i have never changed on my bike and it is running like crapp please help how can i tell if there bad ?? thease reeds are made of thin metal not plastic soooo you cannot see thrugh them anyone who knows anything about the reeds or what kind of reeds to replace them with ok thanks allot

sean

TimSr
03-25-2003, 04:51 PM
The metal ones are stock, and they rarely ever go bad, but the only defects they will ever have are easily detected simply by visual inspection. They should be free from chips or cracks, and the only other thing to look for is that they are flat. Over time they will curl, and I always periodically reverse or flip them when I happen to be inside.

You can replace them with Boysen Power reeds, relatively inexpensively, which does tend to improve top end a little bit, and make it run slightly richer but probably not enough to require carburetion changes. I dont think Boysen lists a replacement YT125 reed anymore but I know some of the YZ125 reeds are the same from similar model years, and Im almost positive about 84-85.

Dan Tenn
03-26-2003, 09:56 AM
DK has boyeson power reeds for this model. $25 in stock. They will ship the same day most of the time.

http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendor/lists/partlist.asp?Type=11&SubType=reedvalves&Name=&makemodelyear=Yamaha;YT125%20Tri-Moto;1981

BTW: If its running like crap, its probably something other than your reeds, unless there obviously trashed.