PDA

View Full Version : Anybody good with holley carbs?

smokey
06-15-2006, 06:28 PM
I got a 750 Vacume secondary Holley. I cant get it to idle right... it just wants to die, my local mecanic says I have a vacume leak but i can not find anything. ??????????

crackshot
06-15-2006, 07:15 PM
How is the power valve and what stage is it? Are the floats set correctly?

85ytz250n
06-15-2006, 11:36 PM
Dont just check the vacuum hoses, look all over your block for any fittings that dont have hoses and should. Also check the hose going into your brake booster. Did you use a new gasket when you put the carb on? You can always try the brake cleaner method for finding vacuum leaks. Spray brake cleaner around the carb in short bursts and listen for a increase in idle spead. works better with a stock filter cover so you dont just get residual overspray. When I put the street avenger on my Bronco I discovered numerous vacuum leaks on the intake where hoses were supposed to be but werent. If all that fails let me know, I may have another trick or two.

Barry

BigRedBlair
06-16-2006, 10:26 AM
It is good to adjust one thing at a time with holleys or ya'll never find what it is....

smokey
06-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Well i found the leak... when I rebuilt it I forgot the cork seal for the vacume secondary thing. Im gona fix it tonight and see what happens.

85ytz250n
06-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Yep, that will dio it. I did the same thing, after two days of adjusting I felt a little suction on my hand while I was under the hood adjusting. It was a dry rotted vacuum cap that I finished smashing while climbing in and out of the hood. Hope that fixes the problem.

Barry

Mosh
06-17-2006, 02:36 PM
another thing about the holley carbs.your air mixture screws tend to carbon up quite a bit on the holleys.take em out and clean them real well.it is typical for streeet driving to cause this.holley carbs are great for w.o.t.street wise they will load up.

Unclediezel
06-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Congrats-----

Just for Useless info that you will never need again-----Holley power valves S**K

Since your using a 750---Im guessing whatever this vehicle is ---Its been worked.

Power valves dont take kindly to ANY backfire , burp or fart that a modified engine can produce. There are "REDESIGNS" to adress that problem , but they arent foolproof.--- If it backfired and wont idle----Keep that in mind....It will save your sanity.