PDA

View Full Version : Putting on a teather kill switch

firehart
06-18-2006, 10:23 AM
A co-worker of mine really trashed his Polaris quad the other day when he crashed it and the throttle stuck open and ir ran full speed into another quad. Is there a way to install a teather on my 200x and my Rancher?

Howdy
06-18-2006, 10:26 AM
yes, it is really pretty simple. You just need to splice it into the kill wires that run to the handle bar switch. If memory serves me correct it would be the green wire and the black wire. Mounting is harder than hooking them up ( IMO ).
Howdy

smokinwrench
06-18-2006, 11:01 AM
I always hook them right up at the coil. I hook one wire up to the power wire going to the coil, then I hook the other wire up to a ground. When you pull the tether it grounds our the coil, no it doesn't blow a fuse or anything.

Buy a tether that has the horseshoe looking insert, the ones that just snap on top aren't near as good, they come off once in a while when you don't want them to. Rocky mtn atv has the good ones at a cheaper price.

TimSr
06-18-2006, 12:16 PM
I always hook them right up at the coil. I hook one wire up to the power wire going to the coil, then I hook the other wire up to a ground. When you pull the tether it grounds our the coil, no it doesn't blow a fuse or anything.

Buy a tether that has the horseshoe looking insert, the ones that just snap on top aren't near as good, they come off once in a while when you don't want them to. Rocky mtn atv has the good ones at a cheaper price.

Thats how I mount mine. It usually doesnt even require splicing wires. I just stick the stripped bare wire end into the spade connector, and plug the coil input wire spade connector in on top of it to hold it in. ALL MX tracks that I race at require them, though some dont enforce it. Trikes are much less dangerous without them than quads that are more likley to head off into a crowd without a rider.

erectordale
06-18-2006, 12:38 PM
watch how you hook them up as on some machines it will burn out the cdi I have a koukasan cdi here with that problem now

NOS_350X
06-18-2006, 01:03 PM
I go straight to the coil.

Bryan Raffa
06-18-2006, 01:09 PM
on a pro design make shure that the wire that comes out of the end that doesent move goes to the ground.And the end that the tether go's on wire into the coil wire,or you will get a nasty shock

firehart
06-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Why don't they just go through the plug wire with a dead ground?

smokinwrench
06-19-2006, 07:42 AM
Why don't they just go through the plug wire with a dead ground?

Are you willing to splice your plug wire?