PDA

View Full Version : Waste Veggie Oil to Diesel Process (Pics)

Tri-ZNate
06-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Hopefully I'll have the pics in the right order ;).

First go to your friendly neighborhood artery cloging buisness and pick up the oil (pic 1). Then only pour the good stuff in if you can see crap and water in the bottom (pic 2). Strain it using the 100 micron nylon filter inside the 50 micron felt filter (100 micron inside the other is used to get the majority of the crap out. After every like 15 gallons take the 100 micron out, invert it to clean, and then place back when done. Pic 3). Then that will strain into a 10 micron felt filter and then into the 1 micron filter in the bottom, finally that emptys into the gas can to pour into the vehicle (pic 4). Now the secret to this is for every 5 gallons or WVO you put in 1 QUART of gasoline (a 20 gallon of WVO: 1 Gal of gas if you will), and no this will not blow up your diesel. We have run it with gas for two months and it runs much better with the gas added. Infact we just filled up tonight with it. On a 90 degree day you can do about 5 galons every hour or two. That should sum it up dreadhed.

Oh and BTW for anyone wanting to do this, its only for diesel engines ;)

dreadhed
06-27-2006, 08:54 PM
I did some reading on the gas mixing last night. A lot of people seems to like it. Thanks for pointing me that way & for the pics. :) Does he use just one diesel tank? That is what I gathered most people do who mix it with gas. This way is even easier than heating the oil with coolant.:w00t:

Tri-ZNate
06-27-2006, 11:15 PM
You could but we dont. He pours 5 gallons of WVO in the top and while that is straining he also adds the quart of gas. then ya just change it out when the can is full and fill up the vehicle.

firehart
06-28-2006, 01:23 AM
I think I'll find out what my store is doing with their old veg oil.

dreadhed
06-28-2006, 07:25 AM
If you have a diesel or a home heater that runs on oil you should look into it. I can't wait tilll I get my truck going on the VO. It should save me $150-250 a week.

ScottZJ
06-28-2006, 08:24 AM
I met a guy in KY area that bought a quad from a buddy and he sold the "Still" or whatever you want to call it for around 500$ and included huge drums and a pump to use to fill up the truck. You actually use this additive to clean the oil out and wham! you have fuel. Our city buses use the oil and it seems to work great. It just smells like Mc Donalds french fries when they drive by with a pack of dogs following! HAHAHA:lol: :lol:

250r'en +TCB
06-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Now I am curious...... Can you mix this with regular diesel fuel and put them in the truck? Say you just mix it 50/50 to save some $$$??? Or even if it's more or less of a mix than that will it hurt anything? Or do you have to run only WVO or only diesel???
-Devin

Russell 350X
06-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Now I am curious...... Can you mix this with regular diesel fuel and put them in the truck? Say you just mix it 50/50 to save some $$$??? Or even if it's more or less of a mix than that will it hurt anything? Or do you have to run only WVO or only diesel???
-Devin

Definetly. I know a couple guys, they have 2 tanks in their trucks, both Fords with the 7.3, one tank has diesel fuel the other veggie oil. In the winter time they start the truck and run it for the first 20mins. on diesel, because veggie oil jells up alot easier than diesel, so they wait for it to get warmed up before they run it. At school we got a Cummins L-10 (10litre) to run off straight veggie oil, all we had to do was filter it out a few times. Damn thing smelled like french frys:w00t:

dreadhed
06-28-2006, 03:21 PM
-Devin
Yes there are people who mix VO & diesel & use that in there regual tank. 250sx use to mix with diesel but says it runs better mixing with gas. You can also mix it with kersone.

It can hurt stuff if it is a old motor. It can eat stuff up. If i rember right it is some rubber gasket on the line or something like that it can damage. I am still learing though. When you start using VO in the old tank I have read you have to keep a close eye on your filter casue the VO will clean the tank out.

There are both one tank & two tank set up. The one 250sx is talking about it a one tank system. The two tank systems start on diesel, & uses the coolant to heat up the VO so it's not so thick. After it has ran for awhile you switch over to your VO tank. Then when you shut it down you have to switch back to diesel to get all the VO out of the line so it does not clog.

Scott
Do happen to have any info on how to get ahold of the guy you were talking about? Also was he selling something to make Bio-Diesel or something to filter & dewater VO?

Also if anyone else is doing this all ready feel free to put up yourinfo on how you run your diesel. Bio or VO. The more info the better.

dreadhed
06-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Hey 250XS. I never did ask, what kind of vehical you use the mix in?

250r'en +TCB
06-30-2006, 03:34 PM
^^^ No that's not what I meant...............

Say I have a truck and it is 1/2 full of diesel fuel, can I top it off with WVO????

dreadhed
06-30-2006, 03:50 PM
There are people who do that. I would mix it before though just to make sure everthing is mixed good.

Tri-ZNate
06-30-2006, 05:02 PM
250r'en +TCB yeah you can top it off. it all mixes in eventually.

dreadhed we run it in a 1985 Mecedes 300SD car.

Infinity Cycle Supply LLC.
07-07-2006, 01:29 PM
hmmm, I hear that that new fuel for the cars they are coming out with that is supposed to be cleaner and made from corn and sugar will actually be more expensive than the gasoline

dreadhed
07-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Are you talking about ethonal? That is for gas motors. The WVO is for diesel. Two diffrent things.

cliff2302
07-11-2006, 11:32 PM
We are making bio too, but we are putting in kerosene, Power Service additive, and an additive that you buy from the following website, in addition to the gasoline. http://www.dieselsecret.com
We have a pump system with two pumps, two filters (one 20 and one 5 micron), and a water separator. Before we run it through the pumps, we filter it twice with screens and put 40 gallons into a 55 gallon drum. When its in the drum, we mix the stuff in it and circulate it for about 10 minutes with a pump to make sure its mixed thoroughly. It takes us about 1 hour and a 12 pack to make around 50 gallons. Gotta use the right oil though, it has to be non hydrogenated oil. You should check which oil you;re using because it looks like hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated, or its just real dirty. If you need any help let me know. Oh, btw, we have been using this in 5 trucks for 4 months and the only complaint is that you go through more fuel filters because of the detergent quality of the bio. One more thing, your exhaust does NOT smell like french fries if you use this technique.

Tri-ZNate
07-12-2006, 08:08 PM
One more thing, your exhaust does NOT smell like french fries if you use this technique.

:confused: Where is the fun in that :lol:. I love sitting at a red light and all of a sudden you get a wiff of french fries or a chicken BBQ. My Aunt still doesnt know we run WVO so everytime she talks to us while the car is running she says "Hmm someone is BBQing again". Its priceless.

cliff2302
07-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Sometimes it smells like a hamburger, but definitely not french fries

firehart
07-16-2006, 01:10 AM
Has anybody noticed any problems with sludge or buildup? How often do you have to change the fuel filters on the vehicle. I have been talking to my boss about running it in his pickup. Maybe we;ll give it a shot in a tractor first.

cliff2302
07-16-2006, 01:00 PM
you'll need to replace your filter relatively often if you run 100% straight bio, probably once a month or more. The interval should increase though as it cleans out your fuel system.

Tri-ZNate
07-16-2006, 04:51 PM
we just changed ours yesterday to see how much build-up was in there and it was minimal. Every 3000 miles so far is when we change them