PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know much about PWCs? Yamaha GP1300R?

Billy Golightly
06-28-2006, 06:06 PM
My mom bought a lake house I guess about a year ago now and has been wanting to get some jetski's. She stopped by some place this evening and called me, had me talking to a salesman :lol: He said they had a brand new (Been sitting) 04 Yamaha GP1300R that they would sell for about $1500 off of MSRP to get rid of it. Its a 2 stroke model and he said makes about a 165hp. I'm just personally more interested in getting the 2 stroke because even though it might be a little bit more work in the long run I'm more familiar and at ease working on one instead of 4 strokes. Whats the expected life of one of these and anything bad about them? I've been googling and ebaying and have found very little...not sure if that means they are rare or what. It'll be freshwater nearly 99.9% of the time I'd say with it going in salt at most one day a year. How bad is fuel consumption? Salesman said it uses more then the 4 strokes (obviously), but how much? How many hours can you ride a tank if your hauling ass?

brapp
06-28-2006, 07:31 PM
well figure out of itsd efi or if its carbed, i am not too firmiliar with the newerones i ahve been out of the game since like 2001 but they should be fairly decent on fuel. but it has a huge tank i belive and i would do it. and thier sellign them cheap due to emissions in 07.

Billy Golightly
06-28-2006, 07:41 PM
From what I've read so far its teh first year for EFI...which I dont like first years for big changes like that, but if it works I'm not gonna complain.

MTS
06-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Havent had any come back to the shop yet billy, People Really seem to like them...haul some ass too...

250r'en +TCB
06-30-2006, 09:27 AM
STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Billy I have lived on this lake my entire life, riden just about every kind of jet ski around and nothing has even come close to the new honda aquatrax! Everyone I talk to agree's. They are 1230cc's 4 strokes, 4 cylinders EFI, oil pump etc.... If you get one of these, just spend the extra $$$ and get a turbo version, when you hit the throttle you see where the $$$ went!!!
These machines are 10x more reliable then our old 1100cc 2-stroke kawi. I know several people with those yamaha's you speak of and for the mosy part I hear good things, but people who ride them, then ride a Honda Defiantly know which one is better.
We found an 03 last year and got it for $8,500 new I believe. They havn't really changed in a couple years.
http://powersports.honda.com/watercraft/index.asp?bhcp=1
The power is soooooooo smooth and effortless on these things. Not to mention they have that classic honda reliability!!!
-Devin

firehart
06-30-2006, 10:28 AM
I have a 2002 Yamaha Waverunner SL700 three person. It has a three cylinder motor with carbs. Its not real fuel efficient. We can ride it for several hours on a tank of fuel. I only have one so when we go to the lake we have to take turns riding it. I would suggest that you think about buying two or finding friends who have skies to ride with. Its not too bad when we take the grandkids because someone has to stay back and watch them anyway. The kids like playing on the beach. When we go ATV riding there is nothing for the grandkids to do when the adults are riding. So we usually leave them home with their mom or we don't go riding.

My Toys
85 200x
06 Rancher
02 Yamaha Waverunner
Jayco tent trailer
95 Ford 4X4
Grandma

seadoo650
07-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Billy check out www.sea-doo.net lots of good info there and not just on seadoo's.