PDA

View Full Version : What a bunch of you know WHAT!!!

Bill X_R
03-29-2003, 01:09 AM
Me and a friend were thinking about going to Silver Lake Dunes for a weekend pretty soon. So I went to the web site to get directions and the "rules". Holy @#$@. You have to register the ATV, you have to buy a voucher to let you into a "staging" then you have to wait for your 2 hr window to open up only to have to wait for a parking space to open up! Am I reading this correctly and can they really be this much of a pain in the arse to try and spend a day of fun in the sun with your ORV?????

Can someone from the area, that has been please tell me it's not as difficult as it sounds.

If it is...I think I'll be spending my money else where!!!!

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

jeswinehart
03-29-2003, 02:50 AM
it's worse in person !
they have really worked on screwing with people there + have found a combo plan that works. if those rules don't get ya hopping,,, they have a couple of more you didn't mention.

the other orv trails up here are okay,,, might not be open for atv yet,,, not sure when snowmobile riding ends + atv riding is allowed to start.

john

J.D.
03-29-2003, 12:13 PM
Typical government trying to screw the little man over however they can!

Bill X_R
03-29-2003, 02:25 PM
John,

It sounds like you have been. In your opinion is it worth all the hoops we'll have to jump through to get in?. How big is the area? wide open spaces to open one up? Those kinda things!

Thanks

Bill

jeswinehart
03-29-2003, 11:14 PM
if you have never riden sand, all sand b-4 then it is worth all the hoops.
you are gonna need to run stock or quite mufflers ? spark arresters.
oh yeah,,, a really tall flag (10')
now i have a personel thing against this place that is neither here or there
( you could not even pay me too go there, but thats me)
+ they have a number of places to open em up, the beach is probbly one of the nicest.

re-read thier website ( i ain't even gonna go there), you used to not need any vouchers b-4 memorial day, after that it was for sat - sunday riders up to labor day.

i want to add that i have seen 10 times more nasty, and i mean nasty accidents there then i have at any other orv riding area me and the mrs. have been to.

john

J.D.
03-29-2003, 11:39 PM
Sounds like a rip off to me.

86350Xrob
03-31-2003, 11:30 AM
I was their last summer and the 19 summers before that and we used to be able to just drive right in. Now with the voucher system if you get a voucher the night before then you go right it. That is if you have the orv the flag, the state park pass, a spark arrestor and the flag. I don't mind the orv and pass and flag but the voucher system sucks because we had to be in their between 7am and 9am otherwise we couldn't leave. What I don't understand is why not make the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro parking lot about 5 acres so we have a place to park. The Dnr just does some stupid things but it is all worth it in the end when you hit the dunes on a hot day!
86350xRob

TimSr
03-31-2003, 11:42 AM
This is my personal opinion, after having a vacation ruined by making the poor choice of going there without consulting an attorney first. Go to the Badlands instead! Only thing in my opinion that Silver Lake has, that the Badlands doesnt, is the view of Lake Michigan. If you want to see pictures of the Badlands, follow the link in my signature. No bureaucracy, no hassle, just go in, pay, and ride.

als250
03-31-2003, 06:42 PM
Here,Here TimSr!! None of those hassles at Badlands! Great place to ride!

Al