PDA

View Full Version : Lawyer help with track waiver???

Dirtcrasher
07-08-2006, 11:40 AM
OK, so I have this track in my backyard. I like letting the neighborhood kids rip it up but some of the jumps out there are hairy and there are lots of trees.

I don't want to lose my home over a bad incident so I'm thinking I need them to sign a waiver. I believe it would have to be done with their parents if under 18yo and in front of a public notary.

I have a homestead on my home but I honestly don't even know how that protecst me or what it actually does.

I know there are a couple of lawyers on here and just wondered if there is a standard document I could copy or find online that someone could make sure it would hold up if anything ever happened.

I don't want to charge these kids, it would have meant alot to me when I was young if someone allowed me to ride on their track.

Thanks for any help :beer

Billy Golightly
07-08-2006, 11:46 AM
High dollar liability insurance that does not exclude what your doing is about the closest thing to iron clad as you can get. A Waiver alone sadly doesnt mean jack. You could try copying the waiver from some place like haspin (www.motocrosspark.com) but it would pretty much be a make you feel good thing only.

wheelie king
07-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Waivers are strictly a formality, that sadly, has become obsolete in this sue-happy society. You can actually sign a waiver saying that you will not sue, and then turn around and sue anyway, and it is perfectly legal. :cry:

If they wanna get you, they will get you.

ChrisD
07-10-2006, 09:13 PM
It's even worse than you think.

Try this argument on for size.....

Lawyer: " The owner of the property knew what he was doing to these kids was dangerous. Look, he even had them sign waivers admitting that he knew the dangers and that he was encouraging him to use his property. Little Joey was hurt on his property due to his lack of responsibility and reckless, unprofessional construction of a dangerous track in his yard."

Sad, but true......

McDonalds is being sued again for the coffee thing. I heard the attorney on TV saying: "I know that the top of the cup says 'Caution: Hot', but how hot is hot?" I couldn't believe it. If it says f'ing hot then it means it.

I'm not a laywer, but in my business, we have to think of what a lawyer can peice together to create an arguement against you.

250SX
07-10-2006, 09:27 PM
http://www.hurt911.org/mcdonalds.html

250r'en +TCB
07-10-2006, 09:37 PM
http://www.hurt911.org/mcdonalds.html
WTF does that proove? HOT means HOT!!! Unless they threw it at her and she got burned, it is HER responsibilty to juge the tempature when she buys it!!! ***EDITED**** people out there scares me!!

firehart
07-10-2006, 09:52 PM
We can't even chase shoplifters anymore. We can't touch them either. We might as well hang a sign on the door that says shoplifters welcome. The only defense we have is an awesome camera system. The police do all of the apprehending by using copies of our video tapes. We can zero in on the people and their cars as they go out the door. We have cameras so good we can enlarge the pictures to get license numbers and positive id them. A couple of times we have called the people and they brought back the stuff.

My rides
85 200x
06 Rancher
02 Yamaha Waverunner

Derrick Adams
07-11-2006, 04:37 AM
I drew up a generic waiver you can use till you find a better one. Just print this out and have them sign it.

:D

girlsride2
07-11-2006, 09:23 AM
I drew up a generic waiver you can use till you find a better one. Just print this out and have them sign it.

ROFLMAO!!! No,seriously. I have tears in my eyes.

Dirtcrasher
07-11-2006, 09:13 PM

I was hoping for something better but I like it alot :)

250SX
07-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Laws vary from state to state on the effectiveness of a waiver. Best bet is to just bite the bullet and find a local atty to research it for you. It shouldn't take more than an hour or two.

WTF does that proove? HOT means HOT!!! Unless they threw it at her and she got burned, it is HER responsibilty to juge the tempature when she buys it!!! ***EDITED**** people out there scares me!!

It proves that people shouldn't expect to suffer 3rd degree burns if they accidentally spill some coffee on their lap! :rolleyes:

Dirtcrasher
07-14-2006, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE=250SX]Laws vary from state to state on the effectiveness of a waiver. Best bet is to just bite the bullet and find a local atty to research it for you. It shouldn't take more than an hour or two.

Thanks, how about Mass? Anywhere I can research online for such a thing prior to hiring an attorney?

250SX
07-14-2006, 08:02 PM
there are some free sources like findlaw.com and others. I don't know of any state-specific ones though.

TimSr
07-14-2006, 09:28 PM
I dont know about other states, but in Ohio you simply call the county Bar Association, and if they refer you to an attorney, the initial consultation with that attorney is $15 or $25, cant remember which.

hoser
07-14-2006, 09:47 PM
Cycle club I use to belong to had race events, when you signed up for the event to race you bought a one day membership to the club, being a club member you could not sue the club if you got hurt.

We also had a waiver they signed pretty much a copy of what AMA was using at the time.

Dunno if any of this helps just throwing it out for ya.

traxxasx
07-14-2006, 10:39 PM

Hahahahah holy *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*! lol good one im still laughing that shits funny, i remeber that one i used it alot. lol!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ATCR250R
07-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Laws vary from state to state on the effectiveness of a waiver. Best bet is to just bite the bullet and find a local atty to research it for you. It shouldn't take more than an hour or two.

It proves that people shouldn't expect to suffer 3rd degree burns if they accidentally spill some coffee on their lap! :rolleyes:

Well I dont know if you are being sarcastic or not here but if not that could be compared to me now having a bunch of burns off my 400EX I had. I could say "Hey Honda, you dont show clearly that the exhaust pipe/cylinder and head is hot and the guards arent good enough and now I have 3rd degree burns that have scared my body for the rest of my life so I am sueing. **** the sue happy world, I dont know about all of you guys but I am getting sick of it. Sorry, had to vent a little. :beer