PDA

View Full Version : Question for you computer guys (Windows)

PowerTrike
07-10-2006, 02:21 AM
So I'm running XP on my laptop and when i minimize apps. like "microsoft internet explorer", "MS Word", ect. they are just gone and do not go to the taskbar like they used to. I believe they do minimize to the system tray. Nothing shows on the taskbar except "quick launch icons" and "notification area" :wondering

I must have done something to change the settings? Just want the damn windows to show on the taskbar when mimimized. Any suggestions?

Fox250R
07-10-2006, 06:05 AM
RIght click on your desktop and select arrange icons by, then click show desktop icons...Is that what your trying to do? Are you using normal start menu or classic?

ScottZJ
07-10-2006, 07:46 AM
If this just started try this,
Click Start/ Programs/ Accessories/ MS-DOS Prompt OR
Click Start/RUN/(then type in) CMD/hit enter
At the C:\WINDOWS> prompt type scanreg /restore
and hit Enter Note the space between the g and /
Registry Checker will ask, Would you like to continue?
Click YES
Select a date before the problem started and click OK.

SPD FRK
07-10-2006, 10:38 AM
You should also be able to ALT TAB between programs. If they are still running, you will be able to switch between or to whatever is there.

Maine_Triker
07-10-2006, 11:28 AM
So I'm running XP on my laptop and when i minimize apps. like "microsoft internet explorer", "MS Word", ect. they are just gone and do not go to the taskbar like they used to. I believe they do minimize to the system tray. Nothing shows on the taskbar except "quick launch icons" and "notification area" :wondering

I must have done something to change the settings? Just want the damn windows to show on the taskbar when mimimized. Any suggestions?
Did you try rebooting?

Also you can use the task manager to see if the programs are still running.

Red Rider
07-10-2006, 02:24 PM
It sounds like the taskbar might be "auto-hiding", where it will disappear when not being used. If you move your cursor to the bottom of the screen, where the taskbar is, it should reappear. Or, windows might be set up to let other windows "overlay" the taskbar. In either case, to fix it:

1.) Hit the "windows" key
2.) Click on control panel
3.) Click on "Appearance and Themes"
4.) Click on "Taskbar and Start Menu"
5.) Set your desired preferences

PowerTrike
07-11-2006, 01:28 AM
Thanks guys, still not solved...
Fox 250R: I can see desktop items just fine, not my prob (normal start menu)
ScottZJ: Yeah it just started, but i was hoping I wouldn't have to do a system restore but I will probably end up trying that, thanks
Maine Triker: Yes of course - i know, the apps are still running in task manager but I can not see them anywhere else, I can still open them from there
Red Rider: Already messed with all the taskbar options and i still can't get anything to show. Taskbar is not hiding, just no bars to swith.

Appreicate the responces :) I'm going to try a few things here quick otherwise try to restore back to an earlier time...

Dammit!
07-11-2006, 12:40 PM
If this just started try this,
Click Start/ Programs/ Accessories/ MS-DOS Prompt OR
Click Start/RUN/(then type in) CMD/hit enter
At the C:\WINDOWS> prompt type scanreg /restore
and hit Enter Note the space between the g and /
Registry Checker will ask, Would you like to continue?
Click YES
Select a date before the problem started and click OK.

That's the hard way. You can do the same thing by clicking 'start/all programs/accesories/system tools/system restore'

That way you don't have to mess with a DOS prompt. It's SIMPLE! Just select a day or two before the problem started and you're good to go.

Billy Golightly
07-11-2006, 02:54 PM
ctrl alt delete, file, run, type explorer and hit enter. See if that works.

ScottZJ
07-11-2006, 06:02 PM
That's the hard way. You can do the same thing by clicking 'start/all programs/accesories/system tools/system restore'

That way you don't have to mess with a DOS prompt. It's SIMPLE! Just select a day or two before the problem started and you're good to go.

Sorry LOL Sometimes I get too technical for my own good. I use the stupid cmd prompt all the time instead of the easy way. I guess Im still old school in more ones than one haha:lol: .