PDA

View Full Version : Ebay - Hondaline Tachometer

Levithan
07-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Hey guys, i just have a question about this part. Why are people bidding this much on just a tach? Is this thing really worth 800+ bucks? Just curious, at first i thought the bike was included in the auction, but i guess not.

ATCR250R
07-10-2006, 03:16 PM
I believe hondaline is like a factory aftermarket or something? Even if they arent I gathered that they are rare and when in good condition people will pay for them.

wanta250r
07-10-2006, 03:16 PM
There just rare. Highly valued. High demand, very low supply=$$$$.:Bounce

JackFlack
07-10-2006, 03:25 PM
I think its called,

Supply and Demand.

I can't believe there is not more 350X Tach's out there, since every Brochere advertised them.

Dirtcrasher
07-10-2006, 09:00 PM
I think it's called "bunch of morons wasting money". But..... If I had it to waste, I would also..

Rex Karz
07-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Not to mention shill bidders...

Howdy
07-10-2006, 09:37 PM
I think it's called "bunch of morons wasting money". But..... If I had it to waste, I would also..

I am with you on that one!! How ever if I had the money, I would use it for something else. This is WAY too much for a little gadget.
Howdy

chris200x
07-10-2006, 10:05 PM
This brings me great joy to hear that I am not the only one who thinks this. I just have trouble holding my tongue (I mean my typing finger) when It come to this sort of stuff.

Shill bidding is a whole other discussion for me. that stuff ABSOLUTLY fries my eggs!

69HemiGTX
07-10-2006, 10:52 PM
I can relate to the dismay that this new bull market for ATV parts is causing. Should I be envious that someone is getting paid $800 for a simple tachometer? No. But the trade-off is that every guy with one will now demand the same price. In the wake of this, all of the other parts are being sucked up into the buying frenzy. This is truly a sellers' market, buyers be damned. A lot of people have expendible cash, and they don't care what something costs. They just want it. The trouble is that they end up pricing the average enthusiasts out of the market. I'm a Mopar fanatic, and I was long before the Nash Bridges/It's got a Hemi/Dukes of Hazzard media blitz that made them the "it" cars. Our market segment has suffered greatly because of people with loose wallets and no brains. When you see regular production cars (not handmade exotics) sell for over a million dollars, everything changes. Case in point: a vendor at the recent Chryslers at Carlisle show had a set of NOS 70 Barracuda front fenders (complete with dings) and an NOS 69 Charger Daytona nose assembly for sale. How much? $13K for the fenders and $50K for the nose. Simple pieces of metal for more than the cost of a nice complete car. There's only one way to describe it - greed, excess money, and stupidity all mixed together.

Orangecnty250r
07-10-2006, 11:20 PM
There's only one way to describe it - greed, excess money, and stupidity all mixed together.

Whenever the topics goes down this road I have to chime in.

I disagree..... I call is passion for the sport/hobby a person is in. This coming from me and I paid 138.00 for new in the box Tacho Complete from a dealer and 25.00 bucks a piece for 3 new in the box sealed red ATC covers.

Bottom line some of this stuff IS extremely RARE
I can say that I have talked with close to 600 Honda dealer parts departments most of which do not want to give you the time of day...and I got real lucky ONLY about 5 times....after months of calls.

I hear people say Check with your local honda dealer!! Well A few good finds may be still out there but with all the time research and reality checks from my experience this stuff at the dealers IS winding down GUYS...not much out there to be found anymore...

What does this mean??...when something as rare this comes up it will get very high prices and the more people that dont understand supply and demand or think its silly to spend this kind of money makes it better for me :D less bidders the better....

Any way I buy this stuff for Nostaligic purposes and you can see I dont box it up for resale...... I gather it and put most of it on the rides and display so I can build one of the best and most comprehensive ATC collections in the country.

When you are in it as much as me and some others...... we spend many hours weekly looking for those MISSING LINKS to our collections...after years of not seeing something and it shows up :Bounce the dust is blown off the wallets because we know other collectors are waiting with cash in hands.

I always go back to the NOS factory right Tecate Shroud and headlight bezel I paid big for.....been years now and I havent seen any others since.

I saw a vintage tiffany lamp sold for 750,000.00 recently at auction .....everybody has their thing....:crazy:

AND anyone who wants to be into ATV's can do it on every budget....even if that means staying away from ebay and searching for machines locally... so I dont buy the people being priced out a hobby thing.

Everybody is entitled to their opinions and that one is mine.