PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to set timing on a 78 DT 175??

ATCkrazy
03-29-2003, 10:10 PM
It misses alot and I think the timeing is off, has a rebuilt carb, good seals,great blue spark, and im running 32:1 with yamalube in it(oil ing is pluged, so now its pre-mix) anyone know how to set the timeing on this bike??? thanks fer any info.

ATCkrazy
03-30-2003, 12:35 PM
anybody??? I'd like to fix it today and not have to wait till monday to call my buddie that works at the shop.

wanta250r
03-30-2003, 03:24 PM
Its a 2 stroke right. I don't think you can set the timing on a 2 stroke. Look at the points or something. ?

Bill X_R
03-30-2003, 06:06 PM
Dude...2 strokes dont have any timing or points to adjust. I guess trailprotrailpro anyone can help you wheen did it start running goofy and what did you do to try and fix it... If anything?

ATCkrazy
03-30-2003, 08:24 PM
I think you can adjust the timeing cause my snowmobile that hace 377 Rotax motors have a backer plate behind the flywheel, I thought this might be the same idea but I dont have a manual. to answer yer queston about when it started running goffey it's been like it since I bought it a month ago.

TimSr
03-31-2003, 10:52 AM
If its got a miss, its not timing. Timing however is adjusted by the point gap in older machines that have points, and its adjusted by rotating the stator plate on those models with slotted holes for the stator plate. Many two strokes have no timing adjustment at all.

"Timing" has different meanings, but in two strokes its usually when it fires in relation to piston position. Also the counter balancer must be "timed" to be in the right position in relation to the crank which is determined by how its turned when you put it in and mesh the teeth. Many 4 strokes also do not have any adjustment for ignition timing. I know my 86 200X did not.

4 stroke "Timing" can also mean how components are postioned in relation to each other when the cam chain is installed, which ,like a counterbalancer is setup by aligning everything to a reference marks when installing the chain.

Of all "timing" adjustments, its exteremely rare for any of them to ever change other than point gap in older machines, which increases with normal wear on the points fiber arm that rides on the flywheel.

Hope this helps.

FullBore
04-02-2003, 04:56 AM
A bit of old Spoke down the plug hole to find TDC, Don't lose it!
You can fiddle with the timing by loosening the screws holding down th points and by rotating the points by a bit, if it's missing its unlikely to be timing, try a new plug, makesure the mixtures right. if non of that works try the timing.

Nat ;)