PDA

View Full Version : Buying tools, need input on large air compressor and welder

hrc200x
07-23-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm attempting to fix up a 80s chevy pickup, and two of the most usefull tools I could use at the time would be a large air compressor and a welder. As far as the air compressor goes I'm thinking 5-7 horse, vertical, 60-80 gallon, 2 stage. I live in a cold climate and it would be in a unheated garage, but probably never used during the winter. Looking in a Northern Tool catalogue the Ingersol Rand ones caught my eye. Looking to spend $800-$1300. There was one IR for $1250, 5 horse, two stage, 80 gallon. Would this would keep up with a small sandblaster or air sanders?

Now for a welder. Willing to spend $300-$600. Probably should be wirefeed and 110. The use of this would be very little, maybe 3-5 times a year. What are some good brands, what to look for and stay away from? Are all the ones that use the shielding gas able to take the self shielding wire so you don't have to use gas?

KASEY
07-23-2006, 12:25 PM
i say 2 thumbs up on the compressor,,, the welder , your way better off getting something around 150 amps minimum 220volt power too,,,those little 110 welders are really not worth having, i bought a miller 110 volt machine,,, i bought the gas kit i tried several sizes of wire,,, just didn't do what i was looking for ,,,,, sold it,,, i have a millermatic 200 with a spool gun,so i can run all the smallest wires and it is fantastic,,, i see miller has a 135 out,,, i have not used one but i thing that would be the smallest i would consider ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:D :D :D :D

firehart
07-23-2006, 02:45 PM
My dad gave me an older Lincoln 225 arc welder. Now I need to add a breaker and wire it before I can use it. My son works for Harbor Freight and he has a small 110 volt wire feed. It works for small jobs but I'd go for a 230 volt if I were you. My dad also gave me a small compressor but its too small to use for anything but blowing up tires and running a small paint gun. You should go with a 220 volt three phase compressor also. If you have enough room in your shop and plan on staying there for awhile you should get the best you can afford.

Dammit!
07-23-2006, 04:03 PM
When I was looking into compressors, I was advised to stay away from three phase. A residential property won't be able to run one without some major expenses from what I was told.

I got a true 5 horse, 80 gallon SpeedAire off craigslist for $400 (with a brand new set of 8 paddle haulers thrown in!). It's used and I had no way of testing it. I don't have the house wired to run it yet. It's so hot that I'm in no real rush to get it working anyway.

Dirtcrasher
07-23-2006, 04:21 PM
I did lots of welder shopping. As Kasey said, the 110V wire fed welders are useless. I ended up buying a 230V Lincoln SP 175 plus and it works awesome. Will weld from sheet metal up to about 3/8 thick. Anything thicker I just break out the Lincoln arc welder.

I found it online with a cart and free shipping for I think about 600$, worth every penny....

Dirtcrasher
07-23-2006, 04:27 PM
i say 2 thumbs up on the compressor,,, the welder , your way better off getting something around 150 amps minimum 220volt power too,,,those little 110 welders are really not worth having, i bought a miller 110 volt machine,,, i bought the gas kit i tried several sizes of wire,,, just didn't do what i was looking for ,,,,, sold it,,, i have a millermatic 200 with a spool gun,so i can run all the smallest wires and it is fantastic,,, i see miller has a 135 out,,, i have not used one but i thing that would be the smallest i would consider ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:D :D :D :D

Hey Kasey, you must be welding aluminum with that spool gun? How well do these welders do with aluminum? The salesman at my local Airco said aluminum is difficult with a mig because it is like melting butter in your microwave, what do ya think? I'm told the spool gun is the way to go because of the problems in feeding the wire. I'd like to get another bottle for the different gas and a spool gun.

KASEY
07-23-2006, 07:15 PM
i don't do alot of aluminum,, but i have ,,, and its alot harder ,, i mainly got the spool gun to do stainless and small steel ,, you have to use straight argon with aluminum,, i have bottles of both argon and 75/25 argon c02 mix ,,

Russell 350X
07-23-2006, 11:12 PM
For welders, get something thats a good size, you get one of those dinky Millers, you cant weld good thick stuff with it. Get a big mig welder from Miller, they do awsome.

fatcat
07-26-2006, 01:57 PM
the miller matic 175 is a good choice it will run you around $1100 with bottle and cart .