PDA

View Full Version : got pulled over by D.E.C.

trikes4life
07-24-2006, 01:15 PM
I was on my way home last night from to poortoride4's house arfter riding the local rail road beds. Was within 1/2 mile of my driveway, i seen the green suv with the lights mounted on the top coming down the road. i was puttin in third on the grass between the shoulder and the telephone poles, got within 100ft and lit up the lights , i was litterly crappen my self. We always talk about what we would do if they tried to pull us over. I was next to a trail that goes through my friends property, litterly the trail came out to the road. I could of lost him but i didn't dare. So he parked his truck right in front of me so i could not run. He got out and i was scared, i did not know what to do. He said, where are you coming from, i said a friends couple of houses down (i lied i was like a mile away on the next road over. Then he said, where you headed. I said, home. Hes like where you live, i live about hundred yards down. HEs like, you just riden the edge. I said yes, i never ride in the lane (lied). Just to day, i wasn't doing 50 down the road. HE said good you have your helmet on! He got in the truck and left. HE knew i had no registration or insurance. He was about 23 years old with more crome on his teeth than on his gun. Pays not to run. I heard they been keep an eye on riders in my are because there destroying farmers crops with no hesitation. son's of a *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*. i turn them bastards in, they ruion it for every one else.
:cool:

atctim
07-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Very nice - you did the right thing - I know there will be a day that I am in a similiar situation, and I will pull over as well.

Lomax
07-24-2006, 03:42 PM
I would have run so fast the tires would still be smoking. It never pays for me to stop, only costs me money so why not make them work for it.....

85hondaatc125m
07-24-2006, 03:45 PM
There are some nice cops out there, One day I was riding my trike down my street(in town), it is a gravel street that isnt very busy. I was pulling my brother who was on the tobbogan and going about 30kph and I had a helmet on, and it was dark, but the cop just kept driving along.

Russell 350X
07-24-2006, 08:26 PM
I would have run so fast the tires would still be smoking. It never pays for me to stop, only costs me money so why not make them work for it.....

Why would you run?? Its a stupid ass thing to do, then it makes everyone else that rides and repects the law look like a bunch of jerks. That and if they find you after you have ran from them, they will have NO MERCY on you. I have been stopped a few times (try 5) and I never ran, and I never got a ticket, nor get my ride taken away. It pays to stop.

Russ

SPD FRK
07-24-2006, 09:10 PM
Never been stopped. Even had a cop drive right by while I was stuck in a snowbank beside the road. He eyeballed me and kept going. Must have been too cold for him.
With my luck if I had been stopped it would have been his wifes time of the month and I would get hell for it. Doing the right thing or not, there are some bad cops out there looking to extend thier power trip.
I have been pulled over on my mountain bike though. I was doing 70Km/h in a 40 zone. On a hardtail dept. store bike. I'll never do that again. That was one long hill. I was too scared to look down at the speedo until I stopped.

84honda200s
07-24-2006, 09:48 PM
my trike is big time ilegall. no plates,regastration, or insurance. but i would still stop only because i know cops and i dont want 1 of em at my door to arrest me for resisting arrest lol. plus im the only retard out here with a black trike danm i need new plastics on my trike. so for me it pays to stop

firehart
07-24-2006, 09:57 PM
A couple of weeks ago I was just pulling out onto the street when a lady officer came around the corner. I just stopped and waited for her to come to me. I told her I had just started it up and put my hand on the block. She was more interested in finding some kids who were recklessly riding four wheelers. I asked her about riding on the street but she had a another call before she could answer me. I still don't know if its legal or not. My neighbor got a ticket because she did not have a motorcycle indorsement of her driver's licence. But since the three wheeler is an ATV instead of a motorcycle you don't need an indorsement. On BLM land you are supposed to have either plates or off-road sticker and under 18 are supposed to wear a helmet. But I have never even seen a officer out there. I wonder if Fish and Game can give an ATV a ticket?

Bryan Raffa
07-24-2006, 11:14 PM
hey i know him dont piss him off or you will be in trouble!!!LOL one of my best friends from high school use to work with him but he just got transferd to another county..They have more athority than sherriffs and state troopers!! you don want to end up in the old LCJ!!! just be respectful!!

ATC crazy
07-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Yup....around here, Game Wardens and Park Rangers have more authority than anyone else...even State police.

Russell 350X
07-24-2006, 11:21 PM
Yup....around here, Game Wardens and Park Rangers have more authority than anyone else...even State police.

Same here. If a GW thinks you are poaching, they can walk into your house and check whatever they want out, without a warrent. Do not piss them off.

wheelie king
07-25-2006, 02:30 PM
As far as stopping or running, I have done both, I am ashamed to say. It actually depends on the cop. There are cops that will not bother you, others that will tell you just to stay off the road, and others that will write you. It really depends.

Even more so, it depends on WHERE you get stopped or caught. If it is a place where there are a lot of complaints regarding ATVs, I can assure you that you WILL get written up. Usually it is a noise, trespassing, or reckless complaint that has the cops there looking for ATVs in the first place.

For example, half of the people in my neighborhood have ATVs, and while they are illegal to ride on the road in FL, we all do anyway. Why? because we are respectful and do not rip up and down the road, cross others' property, or have loud exhausts. Therefore no one complains! And if no one complains, no cops come looking for us!:cool:

Just something to ponder.

ScottZJ
07-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Personally I think running is the worst thing in the world to do, not cuz I was in law enforcement but cuz its just too dangerous. You starting making fast and rash decisions during the chase that could take your life, take other lives or do damage to property. Not only does this cause pain for you if you get hurt but it causes major problems with local law enforcement being stereotypical towards all ATC/ATV riders. They in turn treat all riders as if they were going to run and thro the book at them (so to speak). I feel if you are doing something wrong and get caught then pay the piper and deal with what gets thrusted upon you. One main thing, remember that your actions speak very loudly for the ATV world, dont make us look bad................peace

scooterroo
07-25-2006, 02:53 PM
new york sucks and so does the dec!!!!! they are closing every trail around my area. gives us here in eastern new york to nothing else to do but become outlaws!!!! every trail i was on this last weekend had a "no atv's allowed" sign on them. fresh and new at that. they got so ballsy they even closed of a trail that goes thru my uncles land. my uncles land!!!!!!!! not the states land, my uncles land. he took the sign down and mailed to them with a letter stating where it came from and why it was taken down and sent back to them. ***DO NOT TYPE AROUND TEH WORD FILTERS*** the dec!!!! new york state sucks. they want you to pay tax on the bikes, pay to register them and insure them, but they dont wanna provide any form of a trail system for us? whats up with that? gov. patooki is an ***DO NOT TYPE AROUND THE WORD FILTERS.****

Bryan Raffa
07-25-2006, 04:12 PM
[but they dont wanna provide any form of a trail system for us? whats up with that? gov. patooki is an *****[/QUOTE]

your so right!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

84honda200s
07-25-2006, 04:34 PM
i agree 100% i hate ny it sucks so bad hell even the snowmobilers are feeling the rath of this selfish state. like you guys said we pay tons of monet to make our rides "legal" but no matter wer you ride now its "illegal". hell do they allow you to ride on the state lands anymore ???

so if you ever see someone whearing a shirt that says i love ny ther either joking or ther atv haters lol there is nothing left in this danm waste of space state.

topoortorideon4
07-25-2006, 05:41 PM
People are to worried about people on atvs. There are assholes who like to ride through hay, destroy crops, tear up lawns and there are people who want to ride and be respectful, If you run then you mess it up for the next person who doesnt. I got a friend that will run no matter what. But the problem is the cops,and the dec will be looking for the kid on the little red three wheeler.

84honda200s
07-25-2006, 06:53 PM
the only thing i like to ride threw is water and mud

hrc85250r
07-25-2006, 07:13 PM
i think pataki is a good governor, and im glad he pays more attention to other things than ATV trails, i dont really care about them. it sucks we have to ride pretty much illegally in NYS, but thats life. and there are more than plenty of good trails and sled trails to ride on. the DEC is sketchy, some guys are *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* holes and others are really cool, but most of them are young mid 20's cocky dicks, lol....i wouldnt run, but if you dont destroy stuff, wear a helmet and dont crank around in 6th gear around roads, they wont really care. its the guy who do the opposite of those things that have made NYS atv rules the way they are.

Chevy200s
07-25-2006, 07:15 PM
I agree, its a good idea to stop. I got stopped once and that was all it took for me to stay away from places where I can get stopped. For you NY'ers, we used to ride around the Spencerport/Greece area, but just about every trail there is closed down now, so instead we go out to Hamlin/Albion area. Miles of trails, nice farmers that wave at you when you slow down on the edge of their field, and cops that dont stop you. But yeah it would be nice if NY would just put a little effort into a nice trail system.

Nick_R_23
07-30-2006, 04:12 AM
I love wheelies, loud exhaust (or none at all for that matter), going 70 down roads, etc, as much as the next guy, but I also respect other peoples property and public trails. Tearing these up makes it harder for everyone else to ride. If I ever do screw around, its on my own property, or a big open area where theres nobody to complain and nothing that can be destroyed. For example, we used to drag race trikes, but it was done on a long stretch of road where nobody lives, few cars come down, open, and generally out of everyones way, so nobody cared if we did it or not. I still follow laws like dont ride on the road etc. I dont know if i'd stop for a cop though, if i ever have to, here in Ak there is a trail every 20ft so it'd be really easy to run. Idk, i guess it depends on who the cop is.

-Nick

Russell 350X
07-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Should always stop for a cop if they are trying to talk to you. If you dont that makes all riders look bad.

farmerc
07-30-2006, 08:27 PM
I've been stopped by the state police and all he did was tell me to were my helmet and no one would bother me if I did this and one has.So it pays to pull over and be nice about and not get cocky about it.

trikes4life
07-30-2006, 10:56 PM
ya it pays to be smart. But the trail DO NOT TYPE AROUND THE WORD FILTERS*** the only trail that might be still open by me is west shore tracks. it was open to riders back in The 80's, i haven't been down there in 12 years. We use to ride in Berry Center in the old stone cories(near albion Ny), but they close it down because there peoples quads were getting lost to the bottomless pit (260Ft stone pit fille with water) this is a real pit. People would be riding and they couldn't stop and there quads, bikes, go karts coming down the hill and go right into the water never to be seen again.

84honda200s
07-30-2006, 11:01 PM
sounds like the swamp in east concord lol many people in the 1800s went to get ice off it and they wer never seen again. well so i was told by old timers.

firehart
07-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Looks like a place to go fishing.

trikes4life
07-30-2006, 11:15 PM
thats what i said to my uncle.

ATC crazy
07-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Same here. If a GW thinks you are poaching, they can walk into your house and check whatever they want out, without a warrent. Do not piss them off.

I dont know about you guys....but if I ever found one of thoes guys IN or around my house...I WILL get my AK47 out and confront them. Either they leave peacefully, or they leave in a body bag....law enforcement or not.

84honda200s
07-30-2006, 11:25 PM
i agree how the he!! do they think they are???? even cops need a warent. but they get to walk in as they please ***DO NOT TYPE AROUND THE WORD FILTERS***

TimSr
07-31-2006, 04:29 PM
I get as worked up as the next guy talking about stupidity in government, but I am getting REALLY tired of editing out everybody's profanity. We use a filter to take out certain words for a reason, mostly that some people just cant seem to respect our rules in keeping this site family friendly. My pet peeve is when somebody goes out of their way to stick profanity in around the word filter by using certain symbols, numbers etc, which then has to be manually edited out by a moderator. PLEASE STOP NOW. Post as though 10 year olds are reading, beacuse they ARE. This time I am asking. Thank you.

87250es
08-08-2006, 12:23 AM
when i get ready to go on a ride my wife will drive the truck with her (dont hate her) *quad* in the back and i will get on the 350x, 200x, or the big red and call the (yes one) state trooper and get him to check and see where the other city and county cops are and i will go right through town ( lol its only about 1 mile). altough there wasa out of town cop transporting a drunk to the jail house that stoped me one night and told me i needed to turn my high beams off.. lol i love small towns

Russell 350X
08-08-2006, 02:35 PM
when i get ready to go on a ride my wife will drive the truck with her (dont hate her) *quad* in the back and i will get on the 350x, 200x, or the big red and call the (yes one) state trooper and get him to check and see where the other city and county cops are and i will go right through town ( lol its only about 1 mile). altough there wasa out of town cop transporting a drunk to the jail house that stoped me one night and told me i needed to turn my high beams off.. lol i love small towns

I wish I could only be so lucky lol, I live in a small ass town and all the cops are pricks most of the time. Just a couple weeks ago they were looking for that fugitive "Bucky" Phillips and they would ride their quads and Polaris Rangers right through town into the town hall, or whereever. The worst part is that they would go on anyones property without permission or a warrent. Pissed me off somethin fierce.

87250es
08-08-2006, 02:54 PM
i compied this from www.amw.com i was not aware of "bucky". the last sentence it says he was on a HONDA ATV 300 with three wheels... one think is for sure, lol if it is a three wheeled honda 300 he wont get far.. a four wheeler with three wheels.. thats got to be hard to drive..

On June 25, 2006, a worker at a drilling company in Sheridan, N.Y. made a startling discovery. A 2002 Dodge Caravan was abandoned on company property, and the employee recognized it from local news as being allegedly stolen by Bucky Phillips. The man called the police to report the van and also to tell them that a company all-terrain vehicle was missing. Now cops are on the lookout for a red Honda ATV 300 with three wheels. They believe Phillips is putting on illegal plates and even re-painting cars that they believe he is stealing on his run from justice.

trikes4life
08-09-2006, 10:57 PM
it happened again, sort of. i was coming out of and old road use to fill train cars with coal, and out pulls a sherrif 100 ft away. No way, all i seen was the lights and shriff on the door. i never waited to see the lights go on if they did. turned around and floored it never to look back, untill i got home. I drove like a bat out of hell. If he did it would of taken him to much time to get to me, well i had all the open space. It is getting to close to offten.

84honda200s
08-09-2006, 11:26 PM
i cant believe hes still on the run!!!!!!!!