PDA

View Full Version : Space shuttle Atlantis

boneidaho
10-18-2002, 04:24 PM
I saw Atlantis fly over last night. It was anounced on TV, and here at work that we could see it at 8:22 pm, so out I went, and over it orbited. If any of you like that space stuff, go to: spaceflight.nasa.gov and surf around. You can put in your longitude and latitude, and it will tell you when the International space station will fly over, and also shuttle when it's up.

Jeb
10-18-2002, 04:48 PM
My family and I got to witness a night landing. we were out in no-where texas, where there are no lights and the shuttle came into view on the western horizon and burned a bright orange trail with a bright spot at the front, kind of like a welding arc, all the way across to the eastern horizon and disappeard. It was awesome. then in the time we all got back in the house and set down in the living room, it was landing in Florida. man what a ride that would be!

Kingsnake
10-18-2002, 08:10 PM
Wow guys, that's really cool! I actually watched the Atlantis land at Edwards this afternoon live on CNN. I haven't seen much of the shuttle on TV for quite a while so I thought it was rather coincidental that this thread was here today.

Back about 5 or so years ago, I was living down on the Jersey shore, and I was channel surfing when I happened upon a live launch of one of the shuttles on some channel, so I watched for a minute. The reporter talking then said that if you're living on the east coast, you might see it as it headed into orbit. He said it would be about 8 minutes until it reached New Jersey. Well, of course I had to go out and see this and I honestly didn't think I would, but sure enough, at about 8 minutes I see this small, but bright bluish light moving up the coast from the south. It moved at a fairly high rate of speed, and I really couldn't make out any detail because it was dark and all I could see was the main engines glowing. As soon as it approximately due east of me, it seemed to turn towards the east and suddenly the engines went out. I figured it must have reached its orbit at that point.

Anyway, I thought it was really cool to get to witness that - not something you see every day! 8)

3WheelHouston
10-19-2002, 02:10 AM
When I lived in Daytona Beach for that one semester, you could see the shuttle launch just by walking out onto the porch. Well it was time, and I got involved in my TV show, and walked out two minutes too late and all that was left was this enormous cloud from the exhaust. Man did I feel like an idiot. *~dies~*