PDA

View Full Version : Accident at work.

85ytz250n
07-30-2006, 02:28 AM
Well after 5 weeks of accident free work at the lumber mill where I work I finnaly slipped up. Long story short I got my hand/glove caught in a #60 chain and sprocket on the drive for a conveyor belt and had to watch it go all the way around before I could do anything about it. Went to the first aid station here in my home town, what a joke that hospital is. Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure, it hurt like hell for the first day after it happened, now I hardly notice it till I bump it on something. I went back to work Thursday and this happened on Tuesday:crazy: . There were no guards or anything like that on this sprocket.
The shorter finger of the two was actually almost torn completely off under the nail, luckily I am an underachiever.
Barry
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j149/aholefireman/DSC00086.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j149/aholefireman/DSC00085.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j149/aholefireman/DSC00084.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j149/aholefireman/DSC00083.jpg

Billy Golightly
07-30-2006, 10:57 AM
NASTY! Man.

250r'en +TCB
07-30-2006, 11:35 AM
wow!!! Thanks for that "viewing pleasure" as you so eloquently put it............lol

My dad just told me a story were some guy he knew got killied on something like that, he was cleaning a piece and it sucked him right in....... Heavy machinery like that dosn't stop, at least not for a human body.......

Glad that's all that happend to you!!!

ATC crazy
07-30-2006, 04:03 PM
That would be a big OUCH!

My nephew did that on his BMX bike a couple years ago...

85ytz250n
07-30-2006, 10:09 PM
I am the guy that was making fun of people while hearing stories of people that have had this happen to them, well I was that guy. Now I am the guy that doesnt even think of getting close to a drive chain that is not covered. I have had a couple lawyers call already, politely told them to shove it up there arse. I am probably going to loose the middle fingers nail but all in all I think that its better than losing two finger tips.

Barry

84honda200s
07-30-2006, 10:20 PM
true true i hope you get better soon. i got my finger jammed in my forks on my 200s when i was stuck in 2 feet of mud. it took my skin rite off down muscle. it hurts like a son b!t(h. my uncle lost his arm on a hot press. it was his job to take the steel out of the press. then one day the hydro on the press decided to burst. yhen bam down comes the press on to his arm. it was a 3000 pound hot press.

trikes4life
07-30-2006, 10:28 PM
i lost the end of mine recently to a 200m. It still hurts to touch something.

Wickedfinger
07-31-2006, 12:02 PM
Ouch!!!! ..... thats why you should NEVER wear gloves around machinery. I'm glad it wasn't worse and you can keep those finger tips.

Jim mac
08-07-2006, 02:00 AM
What kind of place do you work for? Where I work even though the machine was made before nip guards were necessary, our safety cordinator made the company retrofit the machines just so something like that doesn't happen. The guards can be a pain in the *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*, and probably a little pricy but one accident like that, the lawyers will come running, because the company is ultimately negligent and they can smell the $$$$ Jim

85ytz250n
08-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Yeah Jim I hear you. I have already talked to the boss and there are definetly going to be chain guards in place before I get anywhere near another chain. I am getting used to my new job though, I love pushing a button all day. I work in a hardwood lumber mill. I used to work in the actual sawmill, that is where the drive chain on the belt got me. Now I work on the grading chain where all the boards are sorted by grade. I actually only missed one day of work, should have taken the week off but no work no pay. I pulled the stitches myself last Friday and have stopped wearing bandages, letting it take its sweet time heeling right. I did get something out of all this though, I am going out this weekend with one of the nurses that helped clean my hand up, better than any lawsuit in my eyes.

Barry