PDA

View Full Version : Propane torches on aluminum cases??

Dirtcrasher
08-11-2006, 05:08 PM
There is a bent stud in one of my engine cases and it won't budge. I have oxy/acet but I know that will melt the cases. Is propane too hot also? I think I can directly heat the case with a propane torch but I want to be sure so as not to ruin the case. Thanks!!

Mosh
08-11-2006, 05:33 PM
well,a little propane torch will be ok. do you have a stud remover? those work real well.another idea is a electric heat gun.some of those will get up to 2000 degrees without melting aluminum or magnesium.the stud remover will help get a good grip on that stud and may bust loose without using heat. you can get them a napa for about 20 bucks.get the kind that looks like a socket with little rollers inside of it.

OldSchoolin86
08-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Carefull with the heat because 2000 degrees will melt aluminum. Melting point is about 660 degrees.

Mosh
08-11-2006, 05:52 PM
yeah i guess i should have mentioned that. it is just an alternative to using a open flame.you would want to try the heat gun at a lower setting first.we use them on magnesium transfer cases to get drain plugs out, where open flame is a complete NO,NO to use.

Billy Golightly
08-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Maybe its just me but I've had a very hard time getting aluminum to melt using a propane torch. I had this pack of welding rods one time you were suppose to mix in with the base metal. Sort of a poor mans TIG. I never could get the base hot enough to melt the filler. filler would of course melt, but just lay on top of the base. I think you'd be fine using a propane to get the stud out.

hoser
08-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Thought most aluminums melted at about 1200 F

sblt500r
08-11-2006, 09:06 PM
propane or mapp will not melt aluminum, at least case size aluminum. you would have to hold the torch there for an hour! i use oxy/acetylene torches to remove studs all the time. you just have to watch what your doing, and move the torch. if you get the stud red hot, it won't melt the case. i've done enough of these to know. and i have a stud remover, its a waste of money to me, all it does is mess up the threads. they will only remove a stud on a hardly used, well cared for case. but 95% of the time you need high heat, or the stud stays put.

jason 32
08-28-2006, 01:16 AM
is it possible to soak it in boiling hot water?-as this will simulate a oven

kb200x
08-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Aluminum melts at around 1100 degrees. I am an engineer at an aluminum die casting factory. The furnace's we keep the aluminum in are 1200 degrees.