PDA

View Full Version : TIG welders - tips for greenhorns?

69HemiGTX
08-14-2006, 08:43 AM
I want to buy a TIG/ARC welder when I get back to the States. I have used MIG welders a lot in the past, and while I can run a bead, I need practice to make them pretty. I would eventually like to get to the point where I am comfortable with a TIG. I want something not only affordable, but also durable and of good quality. What would you suggest for a newbie?

Dirtcrasher
08-14-2006, 09:40 AM
I looked into a TIG, and wanted one. But, they run over a grand and I just bought a really good mig instead...

Billy Golightly
08-14-2006, 03:10 PM
A good TIG isn't cheap...even the new syncrowave 200 is pretty spendy. Try www.weldingweb.com for a good forum. Once you get a machine I can give you a few tips but believe me I'm no expert either.

84honda200s
08-14-2006, 03:43 PM
iwhat do you plan on welding heavy stuff like 1/4 inch or thicker???? if not i use a wal-mart 90 amp 110v arc welder i bought for 100.00 bucks 5 years ago and its still working i buy the rod for it threw weldingdepot.com. they have all sorts of welding stuff and they ship pretty quick too. but arc welding is tricky. it i weld alot with my little "buzz box" i welded a crash bar on the jeep andits still holding. i dont know if wal-mart still sells them though. i really want a lincon 220v stick welder but i dont have the money lol.

69HemiGTX
08-14-2006, 06:57 PM
I will be welding mild steel and chromoly the majority of the time, but I plan to move on to aluminum and even titanium as my skills sharpen. Most of that will be fabricating parts for either race cars or ATVs, so the wall thickness won't be too great. I have a lot of ideas in my head that I would love to bring to reality, and the first step is getting a welder and learning to use it comfortably. So far, the Lincoln 185 sounds like a good choice.

84honda200s
08-14-2006, 08:58 PM
that would work good. i got my wal-mart welder to start off with. i grew to it i know it inside and out while im using it. the best about 1/8 of an inch off the surfface.

sblt500r
08-14-2006, 10:12 PM
i have a miller sycrowave 180 sd. this is the smallest tig miller makes. i can weld what ever i want. atv frames, cases. aluminum, steel, brass. it is a very good machine, but if you will be doing alot of aluminum, i would look into a water cooled gun, which only comes on the larger machines, as the torch will get hot after alot of aluminum, so you would need more down time. i think its very easy to use. it welds very nice after the learning stage. its only harder because you have filler rod in one hand, the torch in the other, and your foot on a petal, so it takes some courdination.

Dirtcrasher
08-15-2006, 06:37 PM
i have a miller sycrowave 180 sd. this is the smallest tig miller makes. i can weld what ever i want. atv frames, cases. aluminum, steel, brass. it is a very good machine, but if you will be doing alot of aluminum, i would look into a water cooled gun, which only comes on the larger machines, as the torch will get hot after alot of aluminum, so you would need more down time. i think its very easy to use. it welds very nice after the learning stage. its only harder because you have filler rod in one hand, the torch in the other, and your foot on a petal, so it takes some courdination.

What did you have to pay for that puppy??

sblt500r
08-15-2006, 09:37 PM
What did you have to pay for that puppy??

it was a few years back, i think it was about $1100. plus a tank of gas and filler rod. and only because i know the manager of the store. it lists for $1499. heres a link http://www.airgas.com/browse/product.aspx?Msg=RecID&recIds=30374&WT.svl=30374