PDA

View Full Version : 1991 chevy s10 4x4 v8 conversion

hotroddal
08-14-2006, 11:45 AM
I am planning of obtaining a chev 350 and planting it in my 91 s10 4x4, I know ill have to do some customizing to the oil pan, and make different engine mounts, and get a offset oil filter adapter, and either make a set of headers, but a set of pre made headers or use a mid 80's lowperformance camaro exhaust manifolds, and use all of the wiring from the v8, what im looking for is pictures of 4x4 s10's with v8's and as many pics of the custom oil pans, and the engine mounts.

Thanks
Dallas

edog
08-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Sound like it is going to be sweet.Good luck

85hondaatc125m
08-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Do you get the chanell Spike TV, watch for reruns of the new trucks show, an dthey planted a 350 in a new Chevy s-10, it will give you a good idea of what to do. You got any pics of what it currently looks like?

Unclediezel
08-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Does this HAVE TO BE-a Custom "I did it myself "project?---

Jegs and probably a dozen other companies make the conversion kits for your truck. Ive seen it done in s-10 blazers and Jimmys, but never a pickup, which I cant imagine it being any diffferent. Obviously its cheaper and more rewarding to do it yourself, but just food for thought.

trikes4life
08-14-2006, 10:36 PM
theres a guy in my town that did that. The truck is quick, really quick. But it has 454 in it. It was a custom job.

hotroddal
08-16-2006, 02:12 PM
i will get some pictures of what the truck looks like now, its primer greay with primer black flames, I just painted it yesterday.

ATC crazy
08-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Jegs and probably a dozen other companies make the conversion kits for your truck. Ive seen it done in s-10 blazers and Jimmys, but never a pickup, which I cant imagine it being any diffferent. Obviously its cheaper and more rewarding to do it yourself, but just food for thought.

Yup....this is a very popular conversion for S-dimes.

PowerTrike
08-16-2006, 11:56 PM
I don't think you can/should use a stock S-10 tanny. Don't they reccomend a TH350 for the swap? What motor does it have in it now? 2.8?

hotroddal
08-17-2006, 09:20 AM
right now it has a 4.3 the reason im using the stock trans is becuase if i use a turbo 350 or turbo 400 there longer and I would have to customize the driveshaft a little bit, so im going to run the stock trans till it lets go and then get it reworked to v8 specs, i found a chev smallblock 350 thats in a suburban that runs and drives for $350 so im going to but that and then ill start on the project.

86tri-z270
08-21-2006, 01:41 AM
yea my friend dropped a lt1 350 engine in his s-10 ... basically its a kit that you buy to make everything fit... you MIGHT have to make a little extra room... we had to but then again we dide shove a corvette motor into a s-10

hotroddal
10-30-2006, 02:44 PM
I got the s10 up and running about a month ago, ive been working out the bugs till now, i ended up putting a stock 1972 350sbc in place of the 4.3, I fabricated everything for the swap myself, its a really nice little truck now, and it was well worht the time and money to do the swap, its nice becuase it is a small s10 pickup with huge power and torque, and 4x4, and also still gets close to 20mpg.

85hondaatc125m
10-30-2006, 06:26 PM
like I asked earlier, Got any :pics:?

ghostridermb
10-30-2006, 07:27 PM
www.s10forum.com !!!

TRI-Zbrian
10-31-2006, 11:53 AM
hey there buddie.... being you already have a 4.3 ... then re use the tranny because its the same as a v8 tranny its the same 700R4 tranny that the v8 trucks have in them... also re use the feul injection yes the feul injection will work on the 350 you cant use the intake but the throttle body is the same just get a tbi intake for the 350 you are using and use the tbi from the 4.3 on the 350.... you have to switch the 2 feul injectors out for 350 injectors and the 4.3 chip for a 350 chip in the computer.... all other wirinf if you do it this way will bolt right up and you wont have to change a thing at alll wireing wise.... trust me this will work... nothing on your truck has to be changed wireing wise you just have to simply put a 350 chip in your computer and change the tbi injectors there are 2 of them ... this will be the most cost effective way to go because you already have everything there to do it that way... im going to be doing some what the same project but i am putting an LS1 in a 2 wheel drive single cab S10...:w00t: oh yeah it will be scary fast....

you may be able to re use the radiater also being it was in there for a 4.3 you may be able to keep it cool enouph witht that one... but if i were you id rif up a twin cooling fan set up... trust me the engine will indeed drop into that S10 it will take a bit of work but it will work and will look like it came that way factory if done right

if the engine you get is already feul injected with tbi then you are goign to have it made... because you will have every thing... when u get the engine and it is injected make sure and get the chip out of the suburban also in the computer because it wont run with the 4.3 chop... computer wise they are identicale the only thing diff is the chips.... hope this helps man...

hotroddal
10-31-2006, 06:06 PM
well thanks for the reply tri-z brian, but as i said i have already completed the project and have been driving it for about a month, I ended up using a 650 edelbrock carb, holley fuel pressure regulator with bypass, duel electric fans in front of radiator, I used the 4.3 radiator, also I used the entire serpentine belt system from the 4.3 and put it on the v8, I made the oilpan to fit around the front pumpkin, for the elctrical i just left all of the plug ins going to the 4.3 tbi hangin and taped the ends so no poisture would get it, and then zip-ties them out of the way, I used the in tank fuel pump also, I also used the origianl 700r4 transmition and torque converter, Its a really fun truck, i will get some pics of it eventually

TRI-Zbrian
10-31-2006, 07:08 PM
yeah i am going to do a simulare swap.. only with a super charged LSI... i think it would be wickedly fast.... but for now i have to find the S10 and a recked LSI car...

hotroddal
11-01-2006, 09:35 AM
if your doing the swap on the 4x4 s10's the biggest problem you will have is to make the oil pan to clear the front differential, you have to cut about a quart capacity from the pan to clear the differential, once youve got the oil pan made the rest isnt very difficult at all.

hotroddal
11-01-2006, 09:19 PM
first pic is the overall truck, second pic is of the engine getting dropped in place, third pic is of the oil pan notch that had to be done.

rugabugadouglas
11-01-2006, 09:42 PM
i know a trailmaster lift kit helps ALOT!! thats what i have on my 86 s10 and then you dont have to mod the oil pan and you have alot more room for exhaust but the lift is $1200 so what ever fits the budget i guess. one thing for sure the book can be helpfull on these swaps it tells how to switch the steering shaft out with a ford f150 so if you ever get hit in the front you dont eat the wheel plus it has alot of pics