PDA

View Full Version : Back Home Finally.

DIGGER DOG
08-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Whew!! After almost a year and a half Ive graduated MMI(motorcycle mechanics Institute)and Im back home.
Graduated from HONTECH and YAMAPRO on June 30th,1 week later got a job at an indipendant shop here in colombus Ga.
Im going to try to stay at this shop for at least a year and a half maybe 2 then its off to a HONDA dealership any longer than 2 years and I lose my certification.
I am now a certified HONDA and YAMAHA tech.Whoo Hoo.
This is going to make all my projects awesome I get parts at cost!
This means my new restorations will be OEM !!!
Unfortunately I have to pay off student loans $18,000.00,Matco man$360.00
plus I need more tools,Bigger tool box,pay off truck loan,credit cards.Im in debt way over my head so I dont know when Ill get back to my unfinished projects nor will I know when I can start any new ones.
I did however get another new addition to my little fleet I traded a 78 TT 500 for an 86 200X I will post pics soon but im on dial up and need to get drivers for my printer.

I am definately glad to be back.

84honda200s
08-20-2006, 08:39 PM
if you work for a dealer maybe you can pay it all off faster ??? it will all pay off for you man. welcome back and good luck

trikes4life
08-21-2006, 12:49 AM
i am really intrested in going to mmi one day. How was your expierence. Did you learn anything.

Billy Golightly
08-21-2006, 10:14 AM
Congrats on graduating. Was it a good experience?

DIGGER DOG
08-22-2006, 07:20 PM
It was for the most part a good experience,If you go to MMI I would suggest taking Honda It was the best equipped,very knowlegeable instructors,best tools and training aids Yamaha on the other hand sucked no room to work,worst training aids,frankensteined tools I actually had to go to the Kawasaki class to get a tool.I would say take Honda and Suzuki and or Kawasaki If you want to learn somthing.

As far as learning somthing I learned alot especially in Honda,The school was misleading about some things though class sizes for one very large class sizes and they were getting bigger as time went on,The school is desighned to pass students and the industry sorts out those who can actually do the work from those who cant ,exellent job placement ,and as a whole good training Im glad I went it is money well spent ,I would also suggest if going to MMI to just take all the electives that way you are well rounded and will have the repitition to be a better tech come time to go to work that is why I am doing the indipendant thing for a year or two to get more experience for the flat rate pay at Honda.

All in all a good experience and I learned alot I should have done it 15 years ago as I am 38.

dickieg89
08-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Welcome to be being a college graduate, debt comes with that. Trust me.
Sounds like you have a nice setup, honda and yamaha aren't going away.
CONGRATS.