PDA

View Full Version : Could really use your advice about a Honda 110

10-17-2002, 09:39 PM
This site is a kickass resource. I really need some advice about restoring a 1983 Honda 110 that I have inherited. Without any experience working on Honda 3-wheelers, I am certain that the cylinder and valves are history. I am wondering what options I have. for instance:

--can I get a used engine? if so, how or where? does it need to be a 110 engine or can I use other sizes? any one have one for sale? are shops or dealers or websites I can check?

--can new engines be bought? if so, where? what is the cost? where do I look?

--do I need to replace it part by part?

--is it better to buy another 110 for parts?

With all the knowlegeable people who use this site, I could really use some advice on what you would do in my situation. I'd love to fix this three-wheeler. If you have ever worked on a 110 or similar ATC, I'd be grateful for your help.
JohnL

Howdy
10-17-2002, 09:50 PM
First Off: Welcome to the Site.
Glad to see you are trying to save the Trike!!

Just to get some information for helping here:
What makes you think the cylinder and valves bad? No compression?

It is normally possible to rebuild most motors. There is a lot of people on this site that has good used parts and knowledge to help you.

We probably will be asking a lot of questions to determine for sure what all you may need. With a little patients I am sure we will help you get this thing running again.

P.S. Where are you Located / Live?
Thanks

10-18-2002, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the encouragement.
I live in Waukesha, Wisconsin (near Milwaukee)

I have a couple concerns about the engine block. First the compression is poor, and the engine stops a while after starting. There is oil on the plug, and I can tell that the cylinder head is the culprit. At the very least it will need a new cylinder head. valves are bad too. the cylinder itself has supposedly been bored out slightly for a larger piston (that is what i was told.) Is that common? why would that have been done? Near as I can tell, the piston and cylinder are OK.

I also am concerned about the transmission, since I couldn't get the high gear to work.

Local bike shop quoted me over $100 dollars just for a new cylinder head. that sounds expensive to me, but I really haven't done this before. Learning a lot as I go.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
thanks!
Juan01

ATC350X 85
10-19-2002, 07:44 PM
Some times u gotta rock the atc side to side to get the tranny to engage, its a pain , but it should go into high.

hondaATCman
10-20-2002, 12:25 PM
I just got finished rebuilding a 1982 110. I can probably help you out. Since it sounds like all of your problems are in your engine, you should probably get another used good running engine rather than buying part for part. There is a guy that is parting out an '85 110 right now (Yes, the '85 engine will work on an '83). He has an engine for $100 and says it runs great, but needs a gasket on the sub transmission. If you want to talk to him his e-mail is: Newdude78@aol.com

Hope this helped and if you decide to rebuild it yourself, ask me and I can find all the parts you need for cheap. Thanks

~Justin Henson
Opie2211@hotmail.com

yamaha_tri_z
12-22-2006, 03:06 PM
I would go for buying the motor. 100 dollars isnt bad for a good running motor. I would definatly buy it. That will probably save you money in the long run. Try and get a carb kit for the carb. that will help it run way better and it only costs around 15 to 20 bucks, might give it better power too. Have fun with it if you ever get it going.

team-red-rider
12-22-2006, 03:36 PM
this is from 2002 yamaha i hope that its fixed by now LOL