PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

wanta250r
08-24-2006, 07:37 PM
So my mom takes her 93 Chevy Suburban to Carmel, California to visit her parents. I told her to check the power steering fluid before she came back because it leaks and I didn't want it to go dry. So she told my grandfather and he takes some power steering fluid and proceeds to put it in the brake resevoir.:confused: :confused: Yah, I know, he's kinda old. Anyway the entire brake system on it is trash, atleast, thats what the shop says. My questions are:

Is the shop full of it, he didn't put very much in?

Do we not fix it, and sell it like it is?

Should we part it out?

Should I attempt to fix it with used parts?

Should I attempt to fix it with new parts?

Can the calipers and master cylinder be rebuilt?

The vehicle is in OK shape the tranny needs rebuilt, but it still works pretty good. The engine was fine, it did ping/knock a little at high rpm. The body and paint is in excellent condition. Interior was good except for the front seats are starting to rip. So what do you guys think we should do?:Bounce

Dammit!
08-24-2006, 08:12 PM
I'd at least attempt to fix it. Open all the bleeders, have someone feed fresh brake fluid into the res while you pump the crap out of it.

wanta250r
08-24-2006, 09:11 PM
I'd at least attempt to fix it. Open all the bleeders, have someone feed fresh brake fluid into the res while you pump the crap out of it.

Well, the shop said it messed up all the seals so it needs all new rubber. I don't know, I guess I have to look at it first?

SYKO
08-24-2006, 09:50 PM
bulls**T!!

thats what the shop is, brake fluid is way more corrosive than powerstering fluid those fags just want to make some coin off of YOU! get ti tto a reall mechanic, open up all the bleeders and pump everything out, put it fresh fluid till it runns out clean close up and bleed the system and be on your way,

In all reality the system will still work with the power stering fluid in it as its a closed hydraulic system as long as you where not doing stopp and go traffic for a ong time you should be fine drigving it somewhere to get it fixed or to someplace where you can fix it, whats that places number?! i'll call them and tell them that there a bunch of stupid a***!!!!!! m'fers trying to steal people money!

wanta250r
08-24-2006, 10:19 PM
bulls**T!!

thats what the shop is, brake fluid is way more corrosive than powerstering fluid those fags just want to make some coin off of YOU! get ti tto a reall mechanic, open up all the bleeders and pump everything out, put it fresh fluid till it runns out clean close up and bleed the system and be on your way,

In all reality the system will still work with the power stering fluid in it as its a closed hydraulic system as long as you where not doing stopp and go traffic for a ong time you should be fine drigving it somewhere to get it fixed or to someplace where you can fix it, whats that places number?! i'll call them and tell them that there a bunch of stupid a***!!!!!! m'fers trying to steal people money!

Yah, someone else told me the power steering fluid shouldn't of done anything either. I don't know. There is still something bad wrong with the brakes. The brakes would gradually freeze up(without applying the brake) after you stared driving for a while. Then you let it cool down and they would let up so you could drive it. But you couldn't drive it very far before they would freeze up again. Atleast, thats what my mom said it was doing, I never drove it so I couldn't tell you what it felt like. I will just take a closer look at it when I bring it home.

smokinwrench
08-24-2006, 10:56 PM
I'm calling bs on the whole thing. Brake fluid will ruin any rubber parts in the system, so maybe you have your story mixed up. If powersteering fluid went into the brake resivoir nothign bad will happen.

Dave223
08-24-2006, 11:03 PM
bulls**T!!

Sky,
the brake place isnt far from the truth at all, ask me how I know! I did the same once, p-steering fluid in my brakes...I was young, in a hurry, and both bottles on the shelf were yellow.I grabbed a bottle to refill my master cylinder and didnt notice until afterwards. After about 3 days, the master cylinder got sticky feeling, 4 days and the calipers and wheel cylinders started leaking. It is possible to rebuild the master and the wheel cylinders, but for the time and difference in money, replace em with new or used parts. I used compressed air to blow out the lines, replaced everything that needed it, then refilled and used a mity-vac to bleed em down. It took about 6 hours total. All of this was on a 76 Toyota Celica if that makes any difference. Dave

SYKO
08-24-2006, 11:05 PM
amen smoke, what may be happening "that the brakes are freezing up" is that the poser stering my be boiling when the brakes are applied hard, that inturn makes more pressure in the system wich in turn makes the brakes feal like they are frezzing up, jsut get it ack and bleed the hell out of everything. DID you get that shops number?!

SYKO
08-24-2006, 11:09 PM
well unlike brake fluid power stering fluid will find its way out of things easier, If you "almost have a brake leak", then putting in power stering fluid will find it, its jsut like putting synthetic oil in a high milage vehicle, you will start to get oil leaks even if you didnt have any before, Power stering fluid is much thinner than brake fluid, it will find its way out.

ATC-Eric
08-24-2006, 11:14 PM
You said she previously had problems with um. It sounds to me like your brakes were going out before this mishap. Then all it took was a concerned shop visit for them to tell you their gone!

wanta250r
08-25-2006, 12:01 AM
Sky,
4 days and the calipers and wheel cylinders started leaking.

Yah, I think ours were leaking also.

wanta250r
08-25-2006, 12:02 AM
DID you get that shops number?!

Don't worry about calling them were not going to pay for them to do what they want to do. I'm bringin it home soon.

wanta250r
08-25-2006, 12:05 AM
You said she previously had problems with um. It sounds to me like your brakes were going out before this mishap. Then all it took was a concerned shop visit for them to tell you their gone!

Ummm, I don't remember saying that. They were working fine before this(Although the ABS wasn't working right but it hadn't worked in like 10 years anyway)?

SoCalPaul
08-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Your brake system is gone. A few years ago I replaced a master cylinder on a cat forklift, the parts guy gave me the wrong master cylinder, they make one that used dot3, and one used an oil of some kind. Well after about two days we had brake problems. The seals in the master cylinder swelled and after operating it for some time the brakes would start to drag then apply. I think the shop is right.

ATC-Eric
08-26-2006, 12:53 AM
Ummm, I don't remember saying that. They were working fine before this(Although the ABS wasn't working right but it hadn't worked in like 10 years anyway)?

The brakes would gradually freeze up(without applying the brake) after you stared driving for a while. Then you let it cool down and they would let up so you could drive it. But you couldn't drive it very far before they would freeze up again.

You did say they had problems................

wanta250r
08-26-2006, 02:32 AM
You did say they had problems................

You said:

You said she previously had problems with um.

This happened...

The brakes would gradually freeze up(without applying the brake) after you stared driving for a while. Then you let it cool down and they would let up so you could drive it. But you couldn't drive it very far before they would freeze up again.

...after the power steering fluid was put into the system. I guess what you are trying to say by this...

You said she previously had problems with um. It sounds to me like your brakes were going out before this mishap.

...is that the brakes were not working right before the power steering fluid was put in it...

...There was nothing wrong with the brakes before the power steering fluid was put in(except for the ABS problem). This happened...

...after the power steering fluid was put in. So when I said this...

...after you said this...

...I was saying that I never said anything was wrong with them before the power steering fluid was put in because you said:

You said she previously had problems with um.

wanta250r
08-26-2006, 02:40 AM
The seals in the master cylinder swelled and after operating it for some time the brakes would start to drag then apply.

Yah, seals all swelled up on this too....:(