PDA

View Full Version : HRC 250r cylinder

250r'en +TCB
08-26-2006, 10:09 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HRC-Works-250R-Cylinder-Honda-Fourtrax-ATC-250-R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43977QQihZ015QQitemZ2 50021660635QQrdZ1

Wow this is cool! Wonder how much extra punch it would give a 250r?? Says it CAN NOT be bored though? So what happens after you blow it? Buy a new one?:crazy: :rolleyes:

Anybody know anything about these??

Pete
08-26-2006, 10:26 AM
without porting, I doubt it would be much better than a stock jug. The pictures aren't very good, but it looks like it has a sleeve to me? I'd be amazed if he got anywhere near his $400 reserve for it, I could have a fully race ported late model cylinder with a cut head for that...

If you blow up a nikisil cylinder and manage to scratch or score the cylinder (much more difficult to do than cast iron), you send it to a company like Millenium and they resurface and recoat the cylinder and send it back to you.

Billy Golightly
08-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Well now thats interesting... The casting on the bottom side of the cylinder sure is different then any of the 250R jugs I have laying around here. Particularly around the intake area. I'm not sure its sleeved...it really does look like its all one casting with the nikasil coating.

Yamahondaman
08-26-2006, 03:59 PM
It's like the MUGEN ...Nikisil ..... can't be Ported ... just cleaned up to the coating...it's also a "mid" Power Cyl.... one thing about the Nikisil stuff is that theres NO Friction......FASTER !!! Like Pete Said .......... for that Money.........
you could get one ported,piston kit,head job and Gasket's !!!
HRC Don't mean nothing no-more these days because of the "MODERN" Stuff thats out like the 310's and stuff..........................................

3Razors
08-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Since when can't a Nikasil cylinder be ported?!!!! Some of you guys really make me scratch my head and wonder:crazy:

Because it is an HRC cylinder it comes with the proper porting already built in by design. Ie (no grinding necessary)

Pete
08-28-2006, 09:49 AM
things have changed alot since 1985 in the porting world...

Yamahondaman
08-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Since when can't a Nikasil cylinder be ported?!!!! Some of you guys really make me scratch my head and wonder:crazy:

Because it is an HRC cylinder it comes with the proper porting already built in by design. Ie (no grinding necessary)
thats true.. the porting is normally pretty GOOD especially if it's a HRC Job but ...
there's LOT'S of people that want "a little bit more" !!
iv'e done PLENTY of "trim" job's on the KX 250's,CR 90's and stuff that had the "Chrome" Bore... if you get too close to the edge of the window's to where the Coating is ... it will wear and or chip away in time....

3Razors
08-28-2006, 08:27 PM
A nikasil cylinder can be ported just the same from mild to wild as an iron bore. You have to use a fine diamond pattern bit to do the work.

3Razors
08-28-2006, 09:03 PM
You have to understand the application of the HRC cylinder. It is setup for mx racing in mind. Sure you could do a full drag port to an oem cylinder and get much more power but it would be a very pipey engine with little or no low-end power that would not work well on a mx track. The Honda engineer's new what they were doing when they made that cylinder.

hrc85250r
08-28-2006, 09:54 PM
it isnt an hrc cylinder. do you see HRC anywhere on the cylinder? maybe a prototype or something, but it isnt any faster i bet than a normal cylinder, and nikasil doesnt really give you much more power, it just cools better. and you can port a nikasil cylinder as much as you can a sleeved cylinder, you just cant be as agressive with the porting tools, you have to go slower when porting it as to not chip the nikasil. great, a stock 250r jug with nikasil, ive seen cooler, and it is nothing like a mugen other than the nikasil.

3Razors
08-28-2006, 11:24 PM
It isnt labeled HRC because they were honda's prototype cylinders that their factory racers used. I have seen a couple but they are very rare. On the outside it looks like a stock oem cylinder but the porting dimensions especially the transfers a very different, plus the nikasil. Its not worth the price he is asking for but definately a unique piece

KASEY
08-29-2006, 12:16 AM
well i want it,,,, i have a MUGEN so i might as well have this one too,,, then i can map the ports on both to see if there is a difference,, :D :D :D to bad the head that was mated to it isn't with it too:D

KASEY
09-04-2006, 03:39 PM
well it looks like their coming out of the wood work now,,,, heres another nikasil 250r cylinder,,,,,,,,,,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-250R-Nikasil-Ported-Cylinder-Sparks-LRD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43977QQihZ009QQitem Z190027317042QQrdZ1
http://i1.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/39/51/e1_1.JPG

Pete
09-04-2006, 04:35 PM
I think thats an OEM cylinder that had the sleeve installed then coated, the name APX rings a bell for some reason. If it really is an 'HRC' cylinder, well cool I guess. hehe.

Louis Mielke
09-04-2006, 04:42 PM
who cares, look at all the openings. That cylinder is really nice looking. I bet it does run well.

KASEY
09-04-2006, 05:12 PM
well if they pushed the old sleeve out and resleeved it with an aluminum one ported and replated it ,,,,, someone has some $$$$$ tied up in it!!:D :D

Pete
09-04-2006, 10:39 PM
definitely! Porting looks nice as well.