PDA

View Full Version : kinda creepy

hrc85250r
09-07-2006, 11:48 AM
i was just looking for lyrics to new orleans is sinking by the hip and i came across this. look when it was published. creepy.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/research/1282151.html

ATCWRENCH
09-07-2006, 12:01 PM
apperently the program didnt work very well. Katrina tried to make louisiana part of the ocean.

ATC-Eric
09-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Yeah, We will eventually lose New Orleans.

Dave223
09-07-2006, 11:02 PM
heyas,
If i can, id like to say something , but I dont want to start a flame war or whatever you call it.
I live in Houma La., Im 45 miles or so southwest of new Orleans, 19 miles from the gulf of Mexico. If you look at a map of the coast of La. you see the Miss. river jutting out, thats because of the sediments that it brings down with it, its building land slowly. If you look to the west somewhat, you see another area that juts out , thats the Atchafalaya Spillway. Its a Corps of Engineer manmade diversion of the same river. Its also building land slowly from the sediments that it carries from the river. Now between those 2 areas is a big area thats missing land, thats terrebonne and Lafourche parishes(same as a county). this area is fed by 2 bayous, bayou Lafourche and Bayou Terrebonne. these 2 bayous USED to be a tributary of sorts of the Miss River, I say it used to because the corps of Engineers installed a lock type system of floodgates where Bayou Lafourche met the Miss. Now what we have is an area thats not bringing sediments....anyone like to guess what happens next? Yup thats right, coastal erosion!
Now comes the best part! The 2 spillways I spoke of earlier are being dredged 24-7-365. The really amusing part of it all is that the dredge material is being dumped MILES out in the gulf....instead of building up the Barrier Islands that we once had. The same Islands that used to protect us and made a buffer zone that protected us from the storms. Anyone see the irony here?
Of course N.O. is sinking, so is most of coastal La. Did you know that N.O. sinks almost 1/2" a year? Did you know that my house is 9' off the ground at the floor, but Im only 7' above sea level? Hurricane Rita hit Tx, it passed under La. i had 4'1" of water UNDER my house!!! and it never rained.
Another reason for our sinking land mass is the oil companies. They came down here in the 50s an 60s and cut canals ( waterways) to bring in the oil rigs and we let em...now those same canals that used to hold our marshes together are letting the tides come in farther, washing away the marsh at the same time. Its also allowing the salt water slowly creep inward, turning brackish water to salt water, fresh water to brackish. This in turn kills the trees that holds the soil together, allowing it to wash away with the tides...see where this is going?????
things need to happen here, and soon. They probably wont happen in my lifetime and thats a shame. It needs to start at the political level, and it has started. We are slowly cleaning up our politics, election by election. Thanks for letting me post this. I want to make this known as much as possible, Dave A

hrc85250r
09-07-2006, 11:46 PM
did you guys even look at the publishing date at the top of the article? thats what im saying is creepy.