PDA

View Full Version : please help out....

dirtbike77
04-05-2003, 08:30 AM
i know this doesnt deal with a trike but your help would still be greatly apprciated..

i have a 1991 kx250, i just recently rebuilt the engine on it, from top to bottom.. the engine runs fine, but high rpms the clutch seems to slip? also if im sittin in nuetral with the engine runningm and i pull in the clutch the bike begins to move( i dont even put it in gear either?)

thannx in advance

Dirtcrasher
04-05-2003, 11:43 AM
Could be too much slack in your cable. Look at the arm on your engine case - you should have a little bit of free play in the lever on your handlebars maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch at which point you should then see the arm on your case moving a bit which then seperates the clutch. Alot of bikes have a small shaft and ball that run throught the clutch basket mounting shaft that push on something to seperate the fiber and steel plates. These can easily be overlooked during a rebuild or the pivot pin/arm that works off the ball and shaft could be worn.
Lastly either plates could be worn unless you checked them or the innner and outer basket even when the plate seperate are not allowing the assembly to turn freely. This can happen when a washer is left out or installed incorrectly, it will bind or lock the inner basket to the outer - I have seen this firsthand.
Check the obvious first including corrct type and level of oil.

3wheeler or not I'm happy to try to help ;)

dirtbike77
04-06-2003, 08:42 PM
i noticed the clutch basket had pretty noticeble grooves.. could this cause the cluct to act like that?

Bill X_R
04-06-2003, 10:14 PM
Yes...that is the problem! All the 250r do this at some point (TRX) You can do some filing only to have it hapen again. Good luck

dirtbike77
04-13-2003, 08:26 PM
i filed the grooves down the bike ran fine... it still moved a lil when i was in nuetral and i pulled in the clutch... later on that day i was riding when all of a sudden it locked up? tried to kick it and the bike would move like i was kicking it in gear? put it in nuetral ( i made sure it was in nuetral!) kick it and the bike moved again? so i took the clutches back out and couldnt find nothing... put it back together.. so when i went to pull in the clutch ( it felt like nothing at all was moving but the cable?)... but when i pulled both adjust ment all the way out.. it felt normal..

COULD THE CLUTCH RELEASE ARM WHICH ENGAGES THE PUSH ROD CAUSE THIS?

J.D.
04-13-2003, 10:06 PM
You think that's freaky?? One time, I started up my Husqvarna, and then I put it into gear, let out the clucth, and it was PUSHING ME BACKWARDS! :shock: Pulled in the clutch, let it back out, it was fine. Freaked me out though!@

dirtbike77
04-14-2003, 07:19 AM
could the shift forks be the problem if there installed wrong? cuz the bike just locked up... evrytime i would try and kick it the bike would move? when i would put it in nuetral and push te bike and pull in the clutch it would go into gear?

I NOTICED THE CLUTCH RELEASE ARM HAD SOME NOTICEBLE WEAR AND TEAR.... COULD THIS BE THE PROBLEM?

PLEASE HELP......

dirtbike77
04-23-2003, 05:13 PM
today i splitted the cases. i found a circlip that had broke in two under the shift drum. this clip was suppose to be between mainshaft 3rd gear and mainshaft 5th gear. thaats why the gears was locking up.

hopefully