PDA

View Full Version : Whats It Like

87250es
09-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Sorry But i have to know if riding a snowmobile is anything like riding a jet ski? i have never even walked on snow i want to take my 350x and do some snow riding but i would prolly hurt myself. how fast does your average snowmobile run? like i would say the th average quad speed would be like 50 or 55mph.
mike

:w00t: for snow in south Texas lol ok wake up mike

also do you have to pay registration on a snowmobile like you do on a boat or jetski?

84honda200s
09-11-2006, 12:17 AM
if you get a newer 2 stroke sled you are looking at about 100 mph well depends ive bin on a mach 1 that did 120-130 but it was juiced a little. i had a 82 ski doo blizzard 9500+ that did around 90 mph it had a 454 l/c rotax bored 0.20 of an inch. where you riding in snow??

MTS
09-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Most 600cc+ sleds will do 120mph+ then you get something like a T cat and you Just dont even look at the speedo, More or less concentrating on the deathgrip on the bar's, However! trikes in snow Freakin Rule......Fun Just like sand!

84honda200s
09-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Most 600cc+ sleds will do 120mph+ then you get something like a T cat and you Just dont even look at the speedo, More or less concentrating on the deathgrip on the bar's, However! trikes in snow Freakin Rule......Fun Just like sand!

ooooooooooooooooooooo so true man so true

350xBomb
09-11-2006, 04:41 AM
A 350x in the snow is awesome too...floaty tires with deep paddle like tread....itll go anywhere....I used to pull my little sister and her friend on sleds at the same time. Good times...good times...

87250es
09-11-2006, 09:29 AM
120mph on a sled.... sweet!!!!

Chevy200s
09-29-2006, 12:23 AM
I just saw this post and I wanted to add to it. Not only do some of them get up to 120mph, the time it takes to get there is just unreal. You start from a stand still, grab the throttle, try to stay on the seat, blink a few times to keep your eyes from tearing up, sneak a peak at the speedo and your at 75mph in what feels like 5 or 6 seconds...Dang, now I cant wait for the snow to fall, I just joined the local snowmobile club to save cost of registration, and I'm waiting for the snow!:Bounce

edit, forgot that you asked about registration. In NY state it's $100 to register a sled unless you belong to a snowmobile club, then its $45. It cost me $25 to join the Hilton Snow Fliers, so in the end I saved $30 which isnt too bad. You need to get insurance on them too, but thats not too expensive.

85hondaatc125m
09-29-2006, 09:27 AM
In my opinion it is unbelivable how fast skidoos can go, I got a 1973 Yamaha GP433B, and these machines were built to race but this one never was, but when you go all out it scares the total crap out of a person. I have only once gave it full throttle, and when I did I have a brown racing stripe down my pants. And if this old machine can do that, Id hate to see what the new Yamy's can do. It is very fun thought, alot different than a quad or trike in the snow. Oh and BTW trikes are awsome in snow, almost as good as a 4x4 quad because the front tire just floats on the snow.

Enigma
09-29-2006, 03:52 PM
So would you compare riding a snowmobile like riding the dunes but faster? I have always wanted to try a snowmobile, but if you are riding on a mountain how do you not cause an avalanche?

200xcellent
09-29-2006, 04:41 PM
riding a sled is the most freeing experience ever! to me, no other vehicle compares. I think snowmobiling is so special to me because its so rare that i get to. its kinda like when the stars align you know. wow cant wait until winter break!!!!!!!!!!!

Chevy200s
10-01-2006, 02:10 AM
So would you compare riding a snowmobile like riding the dunes but faster? I have always wanted to try a snowmobile, but if you are riding on a mountain how do you not cause an avalanche?

I've never ridden the dunes but it looks like a heck of a lot of fun. Basically you can do the trail riding, field riding, or lake riding around where I am. I know there are more types, but that is what I do. The trail riding is different from an atv in that you typically need more room, wider trails, and they are usually groomed to be nice and flat. Field riding is fun, you start at one end and just get back as far as you can on the seat and gun it see how fast you can get without hitting any rocks. Never done any lake riding, but thats where I hear my friends saying they hit 110 or 120. So I have never tried a mountain, but I just assume that it wouldnt be that lose of snow. Maybe someday

topoortorideon4
10-11-2006, 06:55 PM
120mph on a sled.... sweet!!!!
That can get dangerous at the speed .You run out of space quick and you can throw studs threw the seat.

Chevy200s
10-11-2006, 07:03 PM
yeah, I've never been that fast on a sled, the quickest I've ever been was on my yamaha 440 ss in the back field. Even in a relatively small field I got it up to almost 85, but your really moving at those speeds. it seems like rocks and deere start to jump out at ya. I cant wait for the snow this year, I'm finally registered and ready to ride the trails. Much smoother, easier to get up to speed, I did it once last year and it was a blast, cant wait!

topoortorideon4
10-11-2006, 07:10 PM
yeah, I've never been that fast on a sled, the quickest I've ever been was on my yamaha 440 ss in the back field. Even in a relatively small field I got it up to almost 85, but your really moving at those speeds. it seems like rocks and deere start to jump out at ya. I cant wait for the snow this year, I'm finally registered and ready to ride the trails. Much smoother, easier to get up to speed, I did it once last year and it was a blast, cant wait!Hey im only like 20 miles from rochester. Do you have trikes?

RedRider_AK
10-11-2006, 08:39 PM
The Mach Z 800 I'm buying soon will hit 130+ all stock.

200xcellent
10-11-2006, 09:33 PM
ive had my zr600 at 120+ (it says 120 but the needle went past and hit the stop) going down an airport runway in mich last winter. The most fun has to be the trails though ;)

Chevy200s
10-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Hey im only like 20 miles from rochester. Do you have trikes?

Yeah dude, I'm actually in Spencerport which is even closer I think. Lol, yeah I got trikes, I have the ones in my sig. Where in Leroy are you? I usually go out there in the winter to stop by Ray's sled shop, ever been there heard of it? hey let me know if you ever want to go riding man, trikes in the fall and the sleds in the winter:Bounce

Dang you guys, mach z 800 and zr 600, yeah those would both smoke my little sled. it isnt the fastest thing but it sure is reliable. Man you guys are making me day dream about snow in my classes, lol