PDA

View Full Version : 500 rebuild, back from powder coater (UPDATED again)

Louis Mielke
09-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Alright guys. Its back from the powder coaters, candy blue, and quite frankly I'm so freakin happy with it. This color will really pop under white plastic. Also note my 250r skid plate under that CR frame. Didn't take much to get it on there and fits pretty nice. Well lotsa more work, but with all the current new threads with project pictures, I had to get mine in on the table. lol. No pun intended.

Now I just can't wait for my tripples to be done for the inverts. Might be january before thier done though. :(

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/frame1.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/frame2.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/frame3.jpg

I also went to a metric fasteners place here in MD and bought a crap load of stainless stuff. Now I'm jsut afraid I'll end up like Ronnie and Nathan, too busy cleaning my bike to actaully ride it. lol

Billy Golightly
09-12-2006, 11:47 PM
That looks very nice...just dont get it to pretty or you know what will happen :lol:

Louis Mielke
09-12-2006, 11:51 PM
yeah, it'll sit under a tent with the yamaha's scared of the haspin rain and mud, oh wait....and all the bolts will fall out...*snicker* sorry Nathan.

bigred1981
09-13-2006, 12:33 AM
Thats gotta be the best color-paintjob i've ever seen..... totally diggin that man.. looks like a real jewel:w00t:

Bryan Raffa
09-13-2006, 09:06 AM
dude I love that color!!! Thats NICE!

Erics350x
09-13-2006, 09:32 AM
nice and best of all its on the kitchen table. my wife gets so pissed at me for stuff like that. but i do it all the time...lol

Louis Mielke
10-15-2006, 09:06 PM
well a little more progress. got the engine most of the way back together. Gota heili coil 2 cover holes but the top end is back together. Man that head looks pretty. They clean them really well down in that florida sun shine.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/progress.jpg
Also got some new tires. 20"ers and a better profile. Those old warrior tires are going to the scrap pile. I don't have the shock back on but I can already tell that my seat heights gonna be a million times better with the shorter tires and the inverted forks.

Speaking of which, my CNC guys are totally sleepin on the job. I may need to talk to someone else about some tripples if they don't get it together. I went and gave them some incentive today. I was worried the KTM forks where gonna be too short but afte rsome more measuring and stuff I think they'll be fine. Getting excited to get it back together. I wanna get some good ride time in on it before TF07. Trikefest was actually pretty much the first week of ride time for it and I tore it down as soon as I got home.

chris200x
10-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Hey Louis thats pretty sweet. So is that meant just for the straight line or you gonna trail ride it as well. I must have missed it somewhere but how far is that swinger extended.

I can't wait to see her all back together.

G-Ram
10-15-2006, 09:28 PM
that's frikken amazing, loving the colour...i really want to see it complete lol

Billy Golightly
10-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Louis if you have problems with the CNC guys drop me a PM, I will hook you up for my cost in materials only.

Louis Mielke
10-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Louis if you have problems with the CNC guys drop me a PM, I will hook you up for my cost in materials only.

Yeah, man, thats exactly what I was thinking. I REALY wanna get those KTM forks on the bike. Actually I have a few other questions for you so expect a PM.

Chris, my 500s ment as a general purpose machine. My holeshot sucks big hairy donkey nuts so I won't be winning any drag trophies. I do plan on taking it up the back bone next TF though. Thats should be a good show. lol.

I also wanna mod it to be a decent trail machine. Gonna do a flywheel weight and a few other things to make it more trail friendly.

Louis Mielke
10-15-2006, 09:37 PM
that's frikken amazing, loving the colour...i really want to see it complete lol

Yeah the blue really pops...

Of course if it ends up with pink plastic it will really POP. lol

dreadhed
10-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Who did the work on the head for you down here? It's looking nice.

chris200x
10-15-2006, 09:46 PM
:eek: You put pink plastics on that and I fear you'll be doing alot of riding by yourself! :lol:

G-Ram
10-16-2006, 06:56 PM
^^ HAHAHA good one lol

theonlyjosh
10-16-2006, 07:06 PM
wow very eye catchin and radical! man that is the coolest colour ever!

bassman
10-16-2006, 09:34 PM
I don't think anyone will be riding with him even in pink.....No one could keep up lol.

G-Ram
10-17-2006, 08:26 PM
lol i wanna see it complete...at least pic of it as a roller would be sweet, i wanna see that KTM fork on there!

Louis Mielke
11-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Welp, been doing some stuff. Got some more done, and I just couldn't wait to see the invert forks, so I redneck ducktaped them together for a mochup.

Since its a mockup its not perfect, front should regain about a quarter of an inch maybe a half. Billy, what do you think man? Figured might give you some ideas. Also, I'm very happy with the new height. Much better than before. Can't wait till I can take a ride again.

Course gota get my new plastic first. All the white is pretty much sold cept the rear fenders.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/100_0105.jpg

Billy Golightly
11-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Yeah that looks tons better! I've only got to make like 2 more parts for the top clamp and I can tack it all together and I'll start working on the bottom one then. I'm gonna be gone for a week starting tuesday, We're gonna start working on putting some fence up for the track :naughty: over the weekend and then I gotta get my R together for the race that weekend, but I'll get to the triples sometime after I get home and I'll shoot some pictures of them to you then.

TRI-Zbrian
11-05-2006, 11:16 PM
lol thats sweet dude... its the trike honda should have built in my opinion....:TrikesOwn

Louis Mielke
11-05-2006, 11:45 PM
lol thats sweet dude... its the trike honda should have built in my opinion....:TrikesOwn

Nah. Its still kinda tall. Its a proven fact that bike conversions are kinda tall. I'm hoping that the changes I'm working on will help aleiviate that and make it a better ride. my goal is to get it a around a motocross track comfortably.

Next on the plan is some changes to the foot pegs, I'm thinking down an inch and forward 2 inches will help ergonomics alot. Also th enew ignition and lighting kit from Service Honda.

moose 53
11-06-2006, 04:56 PM
What frame to ground hight are you working for, so you can mx race your bike?:Bounce

G-Ram
11-06-2006, 05:38 PM
that is soo sweet!

Louis Mielke
11-06-2006, 10:03 PM
What frame to ground hight are you working for, so you can mx race your bike?:Bounce

Well first and formost I'm shooting for 250r ground clearance, but I won't really be able to know till I take it for a ride around a nice track. One day at a time I always say. lol. it'll get where I want it eventually.

The picture above is only a mockup. I won't really know how it sits untill A.) the new tripples and forks are mounted, and B.) I get the forks rebuilt for my weight. As of right now they would probably compress completely with my weight. They're setup for like an 80 pound rider I'm guessing and I'm 220. lol

OZQUAD44
11-07-2006, 07:11 AM
Nah. Its still kinda tall. Its a proven fact that bike conversions are kinda tall. I'm hoping that the changes I'm working on will help aleiviate that and make it a better ride. my goal is to get it a around a motocross track comfortably.

Next on the plan is some changes to the foot pegs, I'm thinking down an inch and forward 2 inches will help ergonomics alot. Also the new ignition and lighting kit from Service Honda.

The rear subframe on bikes is swept upwards for two reasons, one: it has to be so there is enough clearance for the bottom of the seat to clear the tyre and give the bike some suspension travel, and two: this curve places the rider into the lowest part of the seat which should be close to centre of gravity netural. IE the bike will pivot around this point as the suspension works.

On trikes (and Quads for that matter) the seat to ground distance needs to be lower to achieve the a nice low centery of gravity, but also not kick up so much at the back so a rider can lean off to one side at the rear of the trike for cornering.
You've done an awsome job on your 500R but I've always wondered why you didn't lower the rear of your (seat) subframe more? IE cut and shorten the lower rails and notch the top rails, bend it down until you got a flat, or close to flat, seat rails and then weld it back up again.

From your older photos you can see the front of the 450R seat is bent up out of shape a bit to match the 500 tank. this angle would be less of an issue if the rear of the seat wasn't so high, so it would look a bit better, and this mod along with your planned foot peg adjustments may give you that handling edge you desire.
Very nice blue on your frame by the way. But will it match the pink plastic? :p

Louis Mielke
11-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Hey man, great insight. As to why? A couple reasons. Well the main reason I've somewhat avoided the direction you're suggestion is that after many redesigns of the subframe thats the design I had came to and didn't feel like changing it again. I've ridden it for a good bit with that design and was not to terribly unhappy with the seat height and location. My main battle has been overall height. At haspin a good bit of my 500 seat time was spent on the big MX track. It handled OK but my biggest complaint was that I always was fighting to counter act the height. It always felt top heavy like it wanted to throw the top of the bike to the ouside of my turn. I could muscle it through the turn but that was killer after a few laps. It was just freakin top heavy.

Granted you're right. It would be better if I could get the seat lower, but that the subframe as is was kinda of a happy medium between function and asthetics. As it is, I can happily hang off the side to get into a powerslide stance, only reason I felt I could not powerslide it at haspin effectivly was the overall height and the sloppy rear tires (old 22" warrior tires, yuck, I was on a budget so sue me). The bike has dropped overall 2" with with the change in front suspension and rear tires, and will have 0 rake. With the new rear tires and the changes to the foot pegs (mainly for comfort) I beleive it should be a million times more effective for a powerslide. Thats what I'm really gaugeing the MXability on.

As far as ground clearance, my guesstimation with my mockup puts me at 12" under the frame skid plate with unloaded suspension. I don't have my 250r to measure here at my appartment but my Tr-z is on the porch and its only 11" I think I'm doing allright.

To get the 450r fenders and seat to even remotley match up with the tank thats basically were I ended up. Now, I'm actually going to a IMS tank instead of the clark this time around. I believe this will actually help some of my seat sweep, and allow me to run seperate rad shrouds. yay!

Some of the upward slope you've mentioned was directly caused by the missmatch between the tank and the seat. Instead of the correct, pin, in the tank that held the seat down I had just thrown a bolt so the seat had at least something to clip to as I didn't have the right pin. Also that weird oversize tank, as much as I like the looks of it, it just didn't fit right at all. Its was ok but not the best.I'm hopeing the IMS is much better. I have a250r tank fo thiers and it seems much higher quality.

Eventually I want to go to a trick alumiumn subframe like Billys, but one day at a time.

Oh, don't worry, the pink plastic will be FABULOUS over that blue frame. teehee...:naughty: :naughty:

moose 53
11-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Louis what is the frame to ground distance with you on your bike .Mine is back together enough to measure a distance of 9in from ground to frame.Is that good or do I need to get a little lower.:Bounce

Louis Mielke
11-21-2006, 11:58 PM
I'm looking at Approx 12" inches unloaded. I can't tell you what loaded is untill I get the inverts setup for my weight.

jason 32
11-22-2006, 02:59 AM
:drool: yea lookin good-like candy -and i wanted to eat it lolol
sweet -
?? humm nice artic white and blue-:w00t: