PDA

View Full Version : Just got a 1971 SkiDoo 640 Nordick (pics and a vid)

Tri-ZNate
09-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Got it for $100. Thing runs like a Top. Got it off of Brapp (been in his family since new). Has 811 original miles on it, has been stored since '87, and the tach and speedo work :w00t:. I'll get pics up tomorrow night or monday, nothing is cracked or ripped except the seat which is torn.

Tri-ZNate
09-19-2006, 06:34 PM
some pics and a vid

http://www.supload.com/vid/Reunion+006/263547531/mov/

Rm250RF900R
09-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Memoriessssssssss

chris200x
09-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Man I need to get me one of those.... I got lots of fields around here to ride one of them. :naughty:

Edit: Holey smokes! :eek: Just got done downloading the vid... Is your barn of fire? :lol: Your "key" freakin cracked me up! http://smilies.storagebin.us/smilies/pat.gif j/k bud!!!

Tri-ZNate
09-19-2006, 08:45 PM
yeah josh and I rigged the key a few nights ago since we couldnt find the key, just a regular NAPA key switch
:)

hoser
09-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Sweet, take your time with that baby, remove the intake and exhaust look for mice nest, pressure test the engine to see if the crank seals are leaking before you go riding...

Chevy200s
09-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Sweet, take your time with that baby, remove the intake and exhaust look for mice nest, pressure test the engine to see if the crank seals are leaking before you go riding...

definilty a good idea, those mice can ruin a motor. Dude thats an awesome deal, you basically stole it for $100:lol: Just a few things I have found on my 72 tnt 640 (I think the engines are the same) be easy on that recoil becuase they can be a pain to get working right if your not careful taking them apart. Nice sled!

Tri-ZNate
09-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Just a few things I have found on my 72 tnt 640 (I think the engines are the same) be easy on that recoil becuase they can be a pain to get working right if your not careful taking them apart. Nice sled!

Gotta love the electric start feature :D. I checked the intake and there is no mice nest but what is an easy way to test the exhaust for them? Seems to rev out nice unlike the polaris we worked on and that had a nest in it.

hoser
09-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Years ago I got two real nice Yamahaha 540cc LC sleds for 100 bux only thing wrong with them was the owner put gas in them and went riding he found out the hard way mice had built nest and carried in seeds that were hard as a rock into the nest they got sucked into the engine and POOFKABOOM two perfect engines junk 5k worth of sleds turned into 100 bux because he didnt feel like pulling the exhaust after they sat for a few years, he had the time to remove the exhaust trying to figure out why they both quit running...

Chevy200s
09-22-2006, 10:47 AM
When they (the mice) built a nest in the pipe of my 79 John Deere Trailfire, the only way I found out it was there was when I pulled it over and chunks of stuff came out of the pipe, lol. I ended up taking the pipe off completely and trying to breakup the nest with a wire, fish around in there, keep going at it until its all out. Might even want to try shooting some compressed air in there after you get it broken up pretty decent? That idea just occurred to me now so it might have its problems. The only difference is that on the Trailfire the pipe is a lot longer (U-shaped). The Ski-Doo's have a much shorter pipe/muffler, just seperate it and get as much out as you can. Might not even be anything in there.

Dude man, electric start. I am so freakin jealous, lol. Thought I might put up a pic, this is my friend riding it last winter, the standing up makes it look like your going a lot faster than you really are:lol:

Tri-ZNate
09-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Yeah there is no mice nests in it. All checked out. The only thing is I need to replace the plugs because it idles rough and sounds like its loading up under throttle. 10+ year old champion plugs= CRAP. NGKs are going in next weekend ;).

Yeah I was suprised something so old had electric start on it and even reverse. Must have been the king of sleds back then.

Tri-ZNate
09-22-2006, 10:17 PM
One last question, on the metal that goes around the cylinders, there is a flapper that opens or closes (looks like a big choke mechanism). The only thing I can figure is that some how some way the 2 inch hole is supposed to be closed to help it get warm and then you open it to cool it off better. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? lol its right in front of your crotch under the shroud which covers the carb

Rm250RF900R
09-24-2006, 12:30 AM
I remember my step dad about 10 years ago bought one of those sleds. I dont remember what it was but it was a ski-doo, early 70s. The carb stuck right out and we didnt have the cover for it. I almost got on fire because gas used to leak out and a flame would come out. Made a nice little BOOM. Just watch out for this. I dont know if your sled is the same but it looks pretty damn close.

Tri-ZNate
09-24-2006, 07:18 AM
yeah it is. UNder that plastic shroud in the front is the carb

badass70
01-09-2007, 11:03 PM
have a few old rotax parts would sell.2-recoils,2carb&manifold set up.crankcase,with crank,bad rod brgs I think.someother misc pulleys,ect

Tecate250
01-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Clean out mice nest"s? Screw that. 1 good bang from a snowmobile starting and there history. Id love to see a sleeping mouse shoot out of a pipe. I have done this to a few sleds. A few Sn*Jets.

Tri-ZNate
01-10-2007, 11:15 PM
yeah, if we can actually get some snow to stick, maybe I can actually ride this thing :D

Chevy200s
01-11-2007, 06:23 PM
I probably shouldnt have, but I took mine out yesterday. We only had about 3 or 4 inches of snow but I just had to take it out for a few runs up and down the yard :) Did anyone else get to take their sleds out? Hope we get some more snow