PDA

View Full Version : Dislocated Shoulder...need ATC throttle help

ScottZJ
09-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Ok well its not a very exciting story (I wish it was), but I dislocated my shoulder for the 4th time now. I was cleaning up the garage to please the wife while she was out of town. I had a huge weekend planned and ready for riding Sat, and Sunday after church. Well I was putting most all the ATC's in the 26' enclosed trailer (it doubles for a storage shed haha). I went to put the last 110 in the trailer and it wasnt having it. So I got mad and grabbed the rear rack and jerk the rear end into the trailer.
In doing so, my shoulder popped really loud. Not knowing the serverty of my injury (just pain in the shoulder), I went to my sis's house to move some furniture around for my parents. Well after I couldnt lift a 27" TV over my chest height, I realized something was deathly wrong. My mom (being a nurse for years), felt my shoulder and diagnosed that I had dislocated. I immediately had my sister grab my arm and put her foot on my rib cage around and PULL!!! She did and we all heard the loudest pop in the world and I felt pain like no other. It was back in place but pain was there.
Well after almost a week going by I realized my shoulder is still in major pain and went to my local doctor. Well he gave the normal pain meds and told me time to see an Ortho surgeon. It looks like time for surgery (I pray not).

Ok what I am getting down to is, can I set up a left hand throttle for my trikes for the mean time to ride while my shoulder heals? I cant be down for this long of a time and need something that will work. Any inputs would be appreciated!. Oh say your prayers for me tomorrow, we shall see what happens.
Thanks

Scott

BigGreenMachine
09-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Look up left hand throttle kits for snowmobiles. Its a lever generally used when carving or sidehilling through deep powder snow and you are in a position where you cannot open the right hand throttle.

James

Billy Golightly
09-21-2006, 07:57 PM
You could probably put a twist on the left side without much problem but a thumb/finger throttle would be a little more tricky unless you used something off of a jet ski thats on the outside of the bars.

firefirefire90
09-21-2006, 08:03 PM
wtf...just switch the thumb throttle from one side to the other but twist it around so the thumb part is on top. Quck fix but it might be hard to ride on. I dislocated my shoulder six days ago. Hurts like Biatch...but iono i'm over it. Best of luck

jason 32
09-21-2006, 08:13 PM
mabe a bicycle hand brake? they are like the clutch handles and adjustable

jason 32
09-21-2006, 08:15 PM
mabe a bicycle hand brake? they are like the clutch handles and adjustable
or a weed wacker set up??

ScottZJ
09-21-2006, 08:51 PM
I am already on the prowl for a snowmobile set up. If they do surgery, it will be one day deal and then a week without movement. Then they said 6wks of physical theorpy, but I plan to knock that one down some. I have a ride at loretta lynns in Oct so I need to be ready. But thanks for all the ideas guys.

350Xhilaration
09-22-2006, 08:02 AM
Sorry to hear about the shoulder.

I don't know what to tell you about a throttle set up, but I have some advice on the shoulder.

Do not push it after the surgery. I had two operations on my right shoulder. Orthroscopic the first time and a reconstruction the second. Two weeks after the reconstruction I put a clutch in a VW Rabbit and did some other stupid stuff. My shoulder is still hosed. That was 17 years ago. The trike riding while its healing prolly won't kill you, but the LL just might do more damage than its worth.

my .02 from experience. Hope all works out well for you.

ScottZJ
09-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Well Rhuel,
The Doc said since this is the 4th time that the dislocation has taken place and the shoulder is "loose", there is a 60-70% change to possibly have surgery.

I have to go back wed to get the MRI done and they are going to do a minor scope to check out my socket and then an arthogram. Then Oct 5th is "D" day to find out what needs to be done. Sounds like minor reconstruction surgery might be at hand but I am keeping positive about it.

edog
09-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Why don't you just stop riding for awhile.Till your shoulder heals.Just looking out for ya.