PDA

View Full Version : briggs 5HP engine mods?

200x Basket
04-06-2003, 01:52 PM
anyone ever done any? i have one that i think it would be fun to play with. i was thinking about shaving the head, some bigger valves, port work on the intake and exhaust, cutom pipe, and a 200x carb. i wonder what it would do on alcohol? i could lighten the flywheel and maybe even knife egde the crank.

jsut looking for ideas for a crazy go cart.

J.D.
04-06-2003, 01:53 PM
Here's a crazy idea for a crazy gocart. Put a small block Chevy on the back of that motha :D :D :D :D :D :D

wanta250r
04-06-2003, 02:02 PM
I cut the pipe on my go kart. Its a 3hp briggs. Its loud twisted

HemiChallenger71
04-06-2003, 04:57 PM
LOL, anything you can think up. I don't think there's areally anything aftermarket you can buy, so whatever you can find that works is what you can do. I would go with overhead valve if It's avaliable, then when you shave the head down you increade lift and compresion at the same time. Porting would be easy also. The problems with flat heads is that they start to detonate at high RPM's, running tempatures, and other small stupid stuff causes them to detonate.

bigred110
04-06-2003, 09:10 PM
You can check Jeg's catalog. Look under the Jr. Dragster section.

wanta250r
04-06-2003, 11:25 PM
take the governor off if it has one, it will go a lot faster. twisted

Dan Tenn
04-07-2003, 11:59 AM
The junior dragsters run those on alcohol, and get 25HP !!!! (so they say). Heres one from jegs. You can get all the parts there too.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1708&prmenbr=361

cmracer15
04-07-2003, 04:27 PM
there is TONS of after market for them. I race gokarts and that is the only block we can use. we run them on alcohol. in the class that i run (Stock lite).. we are alowed to do cams,raptor 3 pistin/rod..and we have specs on how far we can Mil the head and other things. I have a couple headers ill sale. both are trumpet pipes. they give the engine torqe around 5,200-6,300. i have an engine builder out of north carolina build mine..but i just built one myself in the garage...and put it on a little yard kart frame and man will it spin the wheels... I just signed a contract with yamaha...im going to be running there new 2 stroke kart engine they came out with in the 2 cycle class up in daytona Fl. for the nationals this year...i just got it last week and took it out for a test run..and lemme tell ya that is one bad ass gokart engine. If you realy want a ride go on yamahs website and get ya one of them. I have the Yamah KT100. I just signed with them for this year and see how i like it..the cool thing is i get it replaced/rebuilt for free...( now lets see if i can talk them into sendin me a banshee..)lol..lemme know if ya need any parts...ill see what i got. Or i can get them..probly alot cheaper then jegs.

Chris

FullBore
04-13-2003, 05:01 PM
the problem with a Briggs engine, is they are low stress, meaning if you run them at over 4,000 rpm for a while there is a high chance it will break in horrible ways such as throw its rod or bend a valve on the OHV ones, they're generally ok when revved under load, you can leave the governor on, just bend the rod so you get around 4,000 out of them, if not, put a proper carb on them, like a mikuni, say 20mm, and a better silencer, you get less power with a straight pipe out of a briggs, they like to have a bit of back pressure, especially for starting.

Nat

cmracer15
04-13-2003, 08:50 PM
fullbore..your right on one thing..i do have to have them rebuilt about every 7-8 races. but i also run them wide open at around 6500 the whole time. but a short strait pipe will not make youe engine weake. I run them on short tracks because they give the engine MORE power at lower rpm. a short track, the engine does not wind up to 6500 till the end of the strait ..therefore i need more torque at lower rpm to pull me off the corner. my strait headers are about a foot long. now for longer tracks..i use bugal pipes. (Looped like a trumpet)..because they will give you more torque at higher "sustained" rpms...