PDA

View Full Version : Oops!

86tri-z270
09-24-2006, 08:39 AM
well yesterday i got a new welder so i was outside messin around... well i need a new tinting/filter lens in my mask so i was just sorta welding without one... welllllll i woke up this morning and i couldnt see ANYTHING everything was a white haze... like everything in view.. was white....ive never felt ANYTHING like it pain wise... immagine someone digging in your eye with a firepoker... and then you have the pain....
has anyone done this before?

smokinwrench
09-24-2006, 09:35 AM
I use to weld for a living years ago, its a common accurance especially when you have a welding partner.

Take a potatoe and cut it into 1/4" peices and lay them over your eyes. The potatoe will help suck the burn out. CHange out the peices every so often.

I always thought it felt like someone was takign sand paper to teh underneath side of my eye lids and eye balls.

SYKO
09-24-2006, 09:47 AM
your lucky that you even went to sleep!! must have been a 110 welder I'm sure smoke knows what a large welder will do! send you to the hospital, be carefull man, you loose your peepers its over for riding!

86tri-z270
09-24-2006, 01:10 PM
it was one of those stick welders you gotta pull behind a truck....... like a HUGE lincoln... anyway yea... they still burn..... but its ok i can still see.... so its ok

dreadhed
09-24-2006, 01:35 PM
I had to take a friend to the hospital once cause he burned his eyes. He could not see for 2 ro 3 days. It took a few hours after he got home to really set in.

Unclediezel
09-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Its called "Flash -Burn"----and as Smokin Wrench mentioned, The potatoes are the only relief. At the hospital they will wash your eyes with some kind of pottassium based liquid, which is the same thing found in the potato starch.-One eye or Both????---It can transfer from side to side as it heals , so dont rub it .

Dave223
09-24-2006, 05:39 PM
hey you got a flash. I used to get em every so often when I was a welder. Its actually blisters on the protective layers on your eyes , and the pain comes from when they pop. There used to be a medecine called " Pontacaine" that doctors used to prescribe. Last i heard they did away with it and came out with something else. Potatoes do work, also placing a cool or cold damp washcloth over your eyes will help. DO NOT go outside without dark glasses on while you have this, your vision can be affected. Try to get in to see an eye doc and let him prescribe something , then keep it refrigerated in case it happens again.
When I worked offshore in the oilfield we always kept a couple bottles in the galley fridge in case someone got a flash.
BTW, wearing glasses, even clear safety glasses, will help deter another flash, even if you are not the one whos welding. and check your sheild and lenses for cracks, it doesnt take much. Dave

84honda200s
09-24-2006, 05:48 PM
well yesterday i got a new welder so i was outside messin around... well i need a new tinting/filter lens in my mask so i was just sorta welding without one... welllllll i woke up this morning and i couldnt see ANYTHING everything was a white haze... like everything in view.. was white....ive never felt ANYTHING like it pain wise... immagine someone digging in your eye with a firepoker... and then you have the pain....
has anyone done this before?

i know what you mean it hurts. when i first got my welder i was like "it will only take me 10 min to weld" boy was that a misstake. i was in a dark room for 3 days streight. i had to call into work 2 days. all because i was lazy and didnt feel like getting my mask. i will never do that again.

smyers33
09-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Man oh man I know how ya feel. Potatoe does help a little if you can resist from eating it lol! It feels like your eyes are filled with sand and hot sauce. When you open them tears pour out so you close them, but you just cant take the burn so you open them again! It'll go away after some long painfull hours.

traxxasx
09-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Well i dident get it from welding i just close my eyes when i arc it. But when i was riding yesturday my freind that it would be funny to pass my me 3 or 4 time and throw alot of snd at me with his 250r with paddles. boy did it fell like sand paper in my eyes the whole day, on the 4 time i nailed him with a rock in his back so he stopped. but it still hurt to keep them open, and they bright sun wasent helping either.

smokinwrench
09-24-2006, 10:13 PM
My dad had a battery blow up on him years ago and the Dr gave him soem good eye goop. I used it and it worked great(better than potatoes), no clue what the name of it was.

85ytz250n
09-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Wow, I cant believe anyone is that ummmm, :wondering well I guess the only real word is dumb. I have been flashed before but never did I try to weld without a shield, that is probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard of anyone doing. My mom even laughed at you, she said even she isnt that dumb. Ok enough of that, the potatoes work but the drops you can get do sooooo much better. I hope it doesnt hury your vision permanently. Learn from this lesson, and dont repeat the same mistake, next time it could be worse.

Barry