PDA

View Full Version : Whats a better truck? UPDATE, bought a truck!

Kintore
09-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Hey guys, I need some help for a first vehicle. Trucks are the cheapest to insure for me, and with insurance prices these days, I need all the help I can get! Also a V6 preferably due to gas prices, which arent bad right now but I still would like the economy. Im looking at buying a nice mid size truck. Im thinking either a-

96+ chevy 1500 with the 4.3 manual model or auto

OR-

a 95+ dodge 1500 with the 3.9 stick or auto.

OR-

a 96+ Dakota with the V6 3.9 version stick or auto.

I also thought about the V6 ford ranger, or a S10 but I want a bigger truck I think.

I also thought about a toyota but they are pricey where I live and mother wants me to have a airbag, so a 95+ yota is a hell of alot around here.

Whats your opinions here? I dont want a person saying chevy cause I own one crap, just some real experiences and anything bad about them or any common problems.

Thanks alot!

Dammit!
09-26-2006, 02:44 PM
For economy, have you looked at nissan yet?

Kintore
09-26-2006, 02:57 PM
Again, pretty pricey around here, trying to stay domestic, But ill check em out right now.

ScottZJ
09-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Personally for a small "compact" type truck I wouldnt go with an american made one. I would look at a Nissan, or Toyota. They are very much pricey but worth it in the long run. I bought my Nissan Frontier about 5-6k$ less than I could have bought the same style toyota. So there are good deals out there if you really look around.

200xcellent
09-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Josh, i used to have an f-150 sport, 2wd 5spd with the 4.2 v6 and i loved it. Plenty of power for the little half ton, good gas mileage, and never had a single problem with it.

Kintore
09-26-2006, 03:51 PM
What year charlie? the newer stlye like 97+?

I know im trying to find a yota, I would LOVE a old like 88ish 4x4 but I need airbags sadly, I could have a very nice 4x4 yota for cheap. Still working on it though, maybe If I can find a nice deal on a truck without airbags.

Something like this charlie?
http://www.theautochannel.com/media/photos/ford/1997/97_ford_f150_xlt_4x4.jpg

85hondaatc125m
09-26-2006, 03:54 PM
I will be in the same situation you are in in a year kintore, Ill be turning 15 soon and hoping to get a truck, but still a V6, maybe a v8. I was thinking about getting a Dodge Dakota. I wont have enough for a 1995 so I was thinking about a 1992 or older Dodge Dakota with a 318 or a the biggest size V6 that come with that style of Dakota's. So If I were you I would go for a Dodge Dakota, there alsmost the same as a half ton, but probably weigh less than a full size... just my 2 cents. Oh...and also, would it be possible to somehow put an airbag on an old truck? Get a new steering wheel and stuff?

200xcellent
09-26-2006, 03:55 PM
kinda except that looks 4x4, it was a 2000, reg cab, short bed, flareside, xl trim and said sport on the bed in orange

Kintore
09-26-2006, 04:04 PM
See I would LOVE something like this, and look its already a hauler!

http://images.trader.ca/autotrader/12/18/2556744.jpg.fpx?large
Year: 1990
Make: TOYOTA
Model: PICK UP
Model Detail: EXTENDED 4X4
Price: $5,500
Mileage: ------- km
Date: 9/26/2006
Ad Type: Private

MUST SELL!!
Comment: Black on grey. Loaded, tinted windows, roll bar, tonneau cover, hitch, remote starter, alarm, big stereo, rebuilt motor & tranny. New paint. Very good shape. Not ran hard

Still alittle pricey for me, im looking in the 4g range, but Its doable!

200xcellent
09-26-2006, 04:06 PM
See I would LOVE something like this, and look its already a hauler!

http://images.trader.ca/autotrader/12/18/2556744.jpg.fpx?large
Year: 1990
Make: TOYOTA
Model: PICK UP
Model Detail: EXTENDED 4X4
Price: $5,500
Mileage: ------- km
Date: 9/26/2006
Ad Type: Private

MUST SELL!!
Comment: Black on grey. Loaded, tinted windows, roll bar, tonneau cover, hitch, remote starter, alarm, big stereo, rebuilt motor & tranny. New paint. Very good shape. Not ran hard

Still alittle pricey for me, im looking in the 4g range, but Its doable!

hmmm i sold my ford 2 years ago with 50,000miles on it for $6500, i wonder how much it would be now

Kintore
09-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Heres not a bad deal Charlie,

http://images.trader.ca/autotrader/15/82/2626260.jpg.fpx?large

Year 1995
Make DODGE
Model RAM
Model Detail 1500
Price $3,595.00
Mileage 185,000 km

Not a bad deal, but a V8, my buddy has one just like this, she aint the best on mileage :lol:

Mosh
09-26-2006, 06:35 PM
hey kintore,here is my advice.I work on cars every day.all makes and models.here is what i have to say.first off,we get more ford trucks in the shop than any other. dodges have weak automatic transmissions,but other than a waterpump and airconditioning stuff they seem to be pretty good trucks..chevy's have their problems too,but they are minor.usually water pumps intake gaskets and ball joints.stuff you would normally have to keep up on.chevy does have some trans problems,but not too bad.they are cheap to repair vs.other makes. you cant kill a chevy 4.3 litre.they are indestructable,if they have been taken care of.basically, a small block 350 with 2 cylinders cut off.you cant go wrong with a toyota,but they are expensive to buy and expensive to repair.

as far as airbags,when they deploy,they usually take out the windsheild and dash along with the bags. this makes a airbag repair after a wreck very expensive. in most cases,airbags cost upwards of 2000 dollars to rebuild after they have deployed. just my advice,i have been a mechanic for over 15 years.every truck has thier problems,and i know the ford guys are gonna hate me,but i strongly advise to not buy a ford.even more so if it has the 5.4 litre triton engine.usually they come in,2-3 years out of warranty low mileage 70 thousand miles or so, and they need ball joints,their brake lines rot out fast,and i mean fast.we have seen quite a few triton engines go bad.they usually drop a valve.you gotta love and hate buying your first used vehicle.you never know what you can expect.but on the other hand having your first truck or car is a liberating experience.look at charlies big ole chevy towing out the mac truck.but then again howdy's ford had to tow my chevy out of the mud at trikefest.:lol:

Mosh
09-26-2006, 06:51 PM
oh yeah. one more thing on the airbags. the slowest deploying airbag is projected out at 180 miles per hour.and all airbags use a highly volatile mixture of rocket fuel to start the ignition process.just a little fact for some of you to think about while driving down the road with a container of rocket fuel behind your steering wheel.:naughty:

gplarryv
09-26-2006, 07:07 PM
dodge fuel milage sucks
the gm 4.3 is a reliable eng but in a full size truck the go go juice cunsumption will be close to the same, and the fors 4.2 v6 is pretty durable ( dont know the milage though
i prefer the GM'S myself larry

gplarryv
09-26-2006, 07:12 PM
(and i know the ford guys are gonna hate me,but i strongly advise to not buy a ford.even more so if it has the 5.4 litre triton engine.usually they come in,2-3 years out of warranty low mileage 70 thousand miles or so, and they need ball joints,their brake lines rot out fast,and i mean fast.we have seen quite a few triton engines go bad.they usually drop a valve.)

and dont forget the famed #4 SPARK PLUG SEIZING IN THE CYL HEAD
got to love the blue oval thank got they support my habbets

larry

OldSchoolin86
09-26-2006, 08:23 PM
oh yeah. one more thing on the airbags. the slowest deploying airbag is projected out at 180 miles per hour.and all airbags use a highly volatile mixture of rocket fuel to start the ignition process.just a little fact for some of you to think about while driving down the road with a container of rocket fuel behind your steering wheel.:naughty:
Sodium azide was formaly a rocket propellant but just so we don't just scare everyone the byproduct of the explosion is inert nitrogen gas.

An occupant in a vehicle with an air bag that is wearing a seat belt will experince an extremely safer enviroment. An occupant in the same vehicle not wearing a seat belt is in greater danger then with nothing at all. It's really some cool technology but it also has to be respected to work. So don't forget the seat belt buddy.

Josh, I'm assuming you have a decent sized budget if you're looking at a full sized truck with an air bag. The first thing I would suggest is stop looking at 4.3s. In a full size you might as well get a V8 because it really isn't going to be a big difference in milage. If milage is a concern then You really might want to research Rangers and s-10's more. Doesn't matter what size the truck is, you'll still get your trike in the back. ;)

God Luck man.

Kintore
09-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Well Im leaning towards a dodge V6 or Chevy 4.3 right now, I just cant decide which one.

But obviously a V6 is going to be better than a V8. Im looking to spend 4-5 grand. Thatll be me a pretty decent mid/full size truck.

Which one would you guys get out of those two? Thanks for all the replies, keep em coming!

Says needs a little work, called the guy said some normal maintenence? I dont know thats all he would say! lol
Check it out!
http://images.trader.ca/autotrader/12/83/2513547.jpg.fpx?large
Year 2000
Make CHEVROLET
Model SILVERADO
Model Detail 1500
Price $4,500.00
Mileage 170,000 km aka 100 000 Miles

Auto, 4.3L, 6 cyl. Vortec, ps, pb, stereo, dual air bags, 170,000 km, black/grey, needs some work, only $4500 as is. Trade-in

OldSchoolin86
09-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Well Im leaning towards a dodge V6 or Chevy 4.6 right now, I just cant decide which one.

But obviously a V6 is going to be better than a V8. Im looking to spend 4-5 grand. Thatll be me a pretty decent mid/full size truck.

Which one would you guys get out of those two? Thanks for all the replies, keep em coming!
Check it out Josh, you'll find that the average V6 in a full size usually gets only about 1 or 2 MPG better then the average small V8. Hardly a trade-off worth going for. Try the link below and do some same yr compairisons. I did a 93 chevy and the the difference between a 4.3 and a 5.0 was 1 MPG. I've also owned both and can say first hand that the results are just about that.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

Russell 350X
09-26-2006, 08:55 PM
The GM 4.3 is and invisable engine. They can go to hell and back, as long as its maintenenced. Dodge trucks, even the Dakotas with the V-6 don't seem to do so hot on fuel milage. I'm looking for a truck too, in the 1500-2000$ range. As of now I am in Cleveland for collage, and theres a 1991 Chevy 1500 V-8 305, and they guy says it gets better milage than his 4.3 he has. It has 179000 miles on it, the motor was overhauled 5 years ago, and the frame has next to none rust on it. Very nice truck, runs good, but he wants 2800$ for it, I KBB'ed it and it says a bit less than 2200$. So I dunno. But if you want great milage, go with a S-10, or a Ranger, but don't go with Dodge, all I hear is how horrible there milage is.

Dammit!
09-26-2006, 09:09 PM
I own a 2003 Chevy S10 LS with the 4.3 V6 and 5 speed manual. Bought it brand new in '03 (only brand new vehicle I have ever bought).

I hate it. One of the weakest feeling V6 engines I've ever driven. Knocks like a diesel. Several annoying little problems with it (just installed it's 3rd battery in three years yesterday). Most of the things that bother me the dealer would claim are normal or don't exist. Warranty has already expired (not that it matters with how bad the dealer service was anyway).

I know other people with S10's that have had great experiences with theirs. Just the luck of the draw I guess. My problems have all been minor but there's just been too many of them in too short of time. E-brake cable, power windows blowing fuses, A/C problems, batteries dying with no apparent cause, engine knocking, idling issues, brakes making all kinds of noise and more I'm probably not thinking of. Really disappointing for a first brand new vehicle. Every time I remove a part to replace anything I see "made in mexico" stamped on the parts too. Nice.

My next truck will be an import. I don't care if it costs more. Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned was a Jap car company but it was built in the US. I'd love to trade this pile of crap in for a new Tacoma. Next truck will most likely be that or maybe a Nissan Titan.

84honda200s
09-26-2006, 09:40 PM
my buddy has a dodge with a 3.9 and auto it does real good. my othe friend has a chevy 5.3 auto its an ok truck but 1 bad thing with chevy when you need something for it you pay alot. trust me ive got a 79 chevy k20 4wd it does great in the snow and such but parts cost alot of cash. not to mention the gas that 8 cyl 350 sb sucks up. ford also cost alot to keep up. your best bet is either dodge or a import. hell you can beat the hell out of a toyota or nissan and they ake the beatings very well. we also had a gmc sonoma that we beat the hell out of. it would still be with us but we rolled it.

Mosh
09-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Josh,best thing you can do is find a few trucks,test drive them extensively,and take them to a good mechanic and have them looked over.Then make your decision.Any way you look at it,with gas prices what they have been,nothing will seem all that good on gas mileage.My friend does have a 2000 Dakota with the 3.9 and he is always complaining about gas.Both my 4.3 Blazers (4wd)get around 15 mpg while pulling 2 bikes on a trailer.Between my 2 Blazers,I have 350,000 miles on them.The motors and trannies are outlasting the bodies..My 2000 silverado with the 5.3 litre 2 whl drive gets about the 12-15 mpg pulling 3 bikes on a trailer,depending on how fast i want to get to the riding spot.

MTS
09-26-2006, 10:06 PM
My advice, Buy a 600$ beater, with a 4 banger thats big nuff to fit a trike in it, And Drive it lol! what i did, But seriously, For ecomony the 4.3 chev sucks, Just as bad as a 350, and they are Not indestructable, Iv Accompained 2 of them that Cracked the blocks.......I would go for a Older chev with a 305-350, Easy to work on, Maintain, cheap parts are Very plentiful, Built like a rock and keeep ona chugin, Mind you my little ol ranger with the 3.0 v6 has 368 thousad km on it and it runs like a dream yet..

ATC crazy
09-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Have you thought about a pre-'97 F150 with the 300ci I6? Thoes motors will keep going, and going, and going.....

UPS used them for decades in their delivery trucks. And they have gobs of torque, and a granny gear (take off in 2nd...1st when you are towing). They get good mileage too...somewhere around 22-23mpg if I remember right. But get the 5-speed if you do...it will be a little cheaper...

I would seriously look at this truck very hard if I were you. Take one for a test drive, and you'll know what I mean.

Also, the Dodges...stay away from the automatic ones. A friend of mine had to have his rebuilt ($2200) in his '98, and he doesnt even tow with it.

The Chebbie 4.3 is a strong motor, but has several quirks in it. Nothing major...just annoyances that add up.

85hondaatc125m
09-26-2006, 10:21 PM
My grandpa has a 1988 GMC Sierra with a 5.0L 305 engine, he gets 28 mpg but the truck only has 80,000kms on it. I also have heard that the 4.3 is horrible on gas and doesnt have alot of power for that size of engine. My friends dad has a 4.6L engine in his 1997? Ford F150 and it is a nice truck, good fuel milage because it is a small V8, has airbags, could probably get a good one for around $5000.

ATC crazy
09-26-2006, 10:40 PM
My friends dad has a 4.6L engine in his 1997? Ford F150 and it is a nice truck, good fuel milage because it is a small V8, has airbags, could probably get a good one for around $5000.

I also have a 1997 F150 with the 4.6L V8 in it. I guesstimate that I get around 16mpg with it. Now, that is city/mountain driving, with 33" tires, stock gears, and me being somewhat of a lead-foot. It's got plenty of power...even with the 33's and stock gearing. I love this truck to death. If you do lean towards this truck...look for one with the 5-speed. The only reason I say this, is like 85hondaatc125m said..."it's a small V8" and the stick will make it feel not as small, and it will be better at towing. (FYI: a 5-speed is not available with the 5.4L. Only the 4.2 and 4.6)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f25/Crazy-ATC/Truck.jpg

IrvSLedman
09-26-2006, 11:08 PM
I havea 4.3, and its a damn good truck, i havnt pulled any thing huge, but what i have its pulled, and its a 88 throttle body. now the newer-somtime in the mid to later 90's Vortech 4.3's are sick, I have drove some, and they have massive power for a V6. the dodge 3.9 sucks gas way worse than the 4.3 and personally i think their gutless. fords.. dont even get me started lol. but the 305s a nice motor, and if you could afford the new chevy/gmc's with the 327....oooo my old man and hondaatc185s200e got an 06 and 03'and omg they have far to much nut for what they are.. smoke the tires of the rims at the drop of a hat and get decent milage, but my dad also paid like 20k from his SISTER whos a dealer, and got the basic, no power windows, no tape/cd player. so its probaly outta yer price range. If i were you i would go with the 4.3 or 305. they are both good motors, my 4.3 over heated twice. once becauce my heater core went, while driving (isntant over heating on the way to work), and again cuz my radiator hose blew on the way to Cleveland from Randolph (150 miles) and just instantly over heated, and i still burned em two days ago.. no lose of power, although its got 108k on it and the overheating. But still i wanna rebuild it, and but some headers on there and try to build it as much as possilbe. just my 2 cents.

Chevy200s
09-26-2006, 11:36 PM
Well I'm going to chime in here and hopefully add some helpful advice. The trucks that you mentioned looking at all look like good trucks. I can only add some information on the chevys. Ditto to everything Moshman said, every 4.3 I have ever owned or worked on (about 5 or 6) has been a great motor. We just sold an 88 S-10 Blazer with a 4.3 automatic tranny that had 286,000 miles on it, still going strong and getting well above 20mpg. That really impressed me.

A buddy of mine has a 97 Chevy 1500 series with a 4.3 vortec and automatic, he hauls trailers with tractors and old gasoline engines (you know them big things with the fly wheels on them from the old days?) lots of weight, runs good. The tranny actually went before the engine (which is still running great by the way) That actually leads me to my next thing to watch out for. As much as I love the Chevy trucks, just be cautious of the 4L60e transmissions. Thats their 4 speed automatic (basically an electronic 700r4), and I have seen a few go bad in the past year. Seems to be right around 96-98. Might just be a lemon like what Dammit! was saying, but its still something to look out for.

If it was me and I wanted to get a good fullsize truck that got decent milage it would be an early 90's Chevy TBI with a 700r4. TBI engines are very easy to work on, and anyone who has ever owned one knows that it doesnt take much to sqeeze more power or efficiency out of them (depending on driving habits). Believe it or not, but when I had my 87 Chevy k-5 Blazer (thats the fullsize) on the road I went from getting around 8-10 mpg to 15 if I didnt let the right foot get heavy. Thats 4x4, 350TBI, 700r4. just spend some time/money on the intake, exhuast, and emissions controls.

If you do those kinds of things to an IFS truck with a 4.3 liter TBI, especially a manual transmission and not 4x4 I would bet you would see numbers right around 20, and still have plenty of power too. The vortec 4.3 is a different engine, more power and efficiency but I just dont have much experience with it. I do know that the 4.3's are reliable though, makes sense as they are based off the 350 (imo the best gas engine ever offered in a truck, but hey I might be a little biased ;) ) Heck, I just sold a 350TBI that had 360K on it running strong, no rebuilds, 700r4 tranny shifting fine too.

Good luck deciding, its totally up to what you feel suits your needs best. Post pics when you get it!

-Pete

firehart
09-27-2006, 12:08 AM
I rebuilt both my 1988 Toyota 2WD and my 95 Ford F-150 4X4. They were both totals. I bought the Toyota for $150.00 six years ago. I bought the Ford last year for $1000.00. The Toyota only cost me $200.00 get the needed body parts. Other than gas, oil, and tires I have only spend $100.00 in parts keeping it going. The Ford cost me another $1500.00 in parts and labor. I'd say look around for a builder Toyota.

Nick_R_23
09-27-2006, 02:23 AM
I guess ill throw my .02 in and say BUY A CHEVY. Of every car Ive worked on, a good 80% of them with major problems are Fords. Every Chevy my family has (there are enough of them at our house for us to start our own dealership :beer ) owned has been run into the ground and back several times and they still run like they were new. My '91 Tahoe Blazer is a 4.3, has 315,000 miles (not highway!!) :w00t: and still runs better then if it was new. Still gets ~20 mpg. My '84 S10 Blazer (2.8L) has rolled over so many times (the odometer, not the car!!! :D ) that ive lost count now, it still averages 17/18 mpg.

The parts replacement for warranty is great too. When we drove our brand new 04 Cavalier (not even a few 1000 miles) over a 9 inch rock, (dont ask why) we tore out the oil and tranny pan. Took it into the service department, had it out just over an hour. And yes, we have owned Fords, but like I said they had major problems and everything died on them. Spent more time in the shop then on the road. Needless to say we couldnt get rid of them fast enough. Guess what replaced them? A Chevy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess i should also mention that up at the local junkyard the guy has a small section (~15 cars) that have exploded. And i mean like a fire-type-engulf-your-whole-car explosion, not just blowing an engine out. None of them were ever crashed, they all just simply blew up going down the road. They were just peoples daily drivers, so they werent being abused in any way. And, big suprise, they are (well i guess 'were' would be more appropriate) Fords. Just looking at them all kinda deters even hardcore Ford fans.

I also agree Dodges arent bad, we have a few of those also, but the steering boxes and trannys keep going out on them. Not bad cars/trucks though.

Again, just my .02

-Nick :TrikesOwn

Macs
09-27-2006, 09:50 AM
get a 97+ f150 sport with 4.2l 5 speed. I have owned 2 of them. they are pretty cheap, great gas milage and only have 15 less horsepower than the 4.6l models. they are pretty tough trucks with lots of room. it would tow my air nautiqe around pretty good.

YAMA-MAMA
09-27-2006, 10:52 AM
I have had a 85,86 & 92 yota 4x4 (22RE engine) cant destroy them. I have also had a 96 Dodge ram 1500 (360) it had no fuel economy and did not stand up to being used as a truck. I dont abuse my vehicles but I use them as needed. The only one that has really stood up to the test is my 96 F250 (351 winsor) it has over 200,000 hard miles. I have done routine maintenance and the usual stuff that starts to go wrong when a vehicle gets some wear but the F250 is still going strong. Gas mileage still sucks And the accidents.... One in the dodge airbag never deployed , toyota I have permanent injuries, F250 walked away and drove the truck home (with some damage) the person that hit went to the hospital in an ambulance. Id go for safety of size over fuel economy & forget the airbag.

max
09-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Like moshman said. They all have there problem. Im not going to tell you what to buy. What I am going to tell you is not to buy a dodge unless you have an additional 14-2000 for a tranny. I run a trans shop, dude they suck. Moshman will back me up on that. Its one thing to buy something and have to put 100-300 dollars in it. But to buy something and have to put a trans in it well.... its gets costly. Though you could have to put a trans in anything you get, a dodge is much more likely....

ps, best advice= give very healthy roadtest. check it cold. check it hot. crawl under it and observe. check all fluids. get it up to 60-75mph and see how she handles.

Billy Golightly
09-27-2006, 12:11 PM
The Dodge autos do kind of suck...the standard trans are bullet proof though. Just my .02

Kintore
09-27-2006, 12:49 PM
So what im seeing here is, either a 4.3 or a dodge 1500 stick version, im also still looking into a yota.

Thanks for all the replies guys, keep em coming!

max
09-27-2006, 12:55 PM
The Dodge autos do kind of suck...the standard trans are bullet proof though. Just my .02

I concur. I never see any dodge standards at my shop unless we are putting a clutch in it.

Kintore
09-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Well, the battle has been lost. Guess I 100 percent need airbags, so a old yota 4x4 is out. Damn

ATC crazy
09-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Why do you need airbags?

Hell...tie a balloon to the steering wheel!

firehart
09-27-2006, 02:17 PM
My dad's Dakota 4x4 is having some tranny problems. It is not shifting into and out of OD right. I think he is just going to drive it withoit using the OD. I had a 89 F-150 that was not shifting right either. I put 70,000 miles on it without using the AOD. The tranny acted the same way when I sold it as it did when I bought it.

firehart
09-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Yama-Mama,
You should have seen the car that my F-150 hit. The big winch that was on the front bumber went more than halfway through the big Ford sedan that ran out in front of it. The kid I bought the truck from said he was doing 35mph. I think he was going closer to 50. When I rebuilt the truck I bought a new airbag to fill the hole in the steering wheel but its not plugged in.

random-strike
09-27-2006, 03:09 PM
imho, your best bet is the chevy with the 4.3l vortec. those motors are solid and have lots of power

4.3 vortec v6 = one of the best v6s ever made

84honda200s
09-27-2006, 03:15 PM
hellz yea i loved the 4.3 vortec

Kintore
09-27-2006, 04:19 PM
I need and airbag because a few years ago my brother had a very serious accident.

Im thinking a 97+ 4.3 stick version if I can find it is the way to go.

something just like this, V6, 4.3, auto(hard to find a manual!), air, e tested and cert.

http://images.trader.ca/autotrader/16/93/1975110.jpg.fpx?large

slothminx
09-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Spend the extra and get a Yota with airbags, it will be worth it in the long run for what you save on gas and repairs.

250r'en +TCB
09-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Either a toyota of a ford ranger I'd say...... I have my 4.0L ranger 5-speed and I love it! by the way when you do get a truck, get a standerd!!! You get WAY more power out of those little trucks!

IrvSLedman
09-27-2006, 04:58 PM
that Chevy in that picture would madea damn good truck. and the 4.3 isnt to bad on gas, mine gets around 18-20 and i have a lead foot and throttle body, with injection and being newer i wouldnt be suprised it you get around 23-25ish if you dont horse on it. its a damn good truck.

random-strike
09-28-2006, 07:18 PM
toyota trucks are really peices of *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*. they are trucks you can use to haul small things.

their 4 bangers are trash, and their v6s are gutless. the tundra is a good truck. but the commerical accidentally says "highest output truck in its price range" they must've forgot about the hemi ram. 345hp 390tq.

Russell 350X
09-28-2006, 09:41 PM
toyota trucks are really peices of *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*. they are trucks you can use to haul small things.

their 4 bangers are trash, and their v6s are gutless. the tundra is a good truck. but the commerical accidentally says "highest output truck in its price range" they must've forgot about the hemi ram. 345hp 390tq.

They may be guttless, but their motors are by no means trash. I have seen so many toyota trucks with the body rusted and falling off, but they still run amazing. Those things dont die.

Rm250RF900R
09-28-2006, 10:37 PM
I remember my uncle bought a 2001 2500 Ram auto. Trans was ready to crap the bed after 5000 miles. He drives like a old man too, so it wasnt him.. He got ride of it and now drives a 2001 mustang svt cobra with the 5 speed haha. Only reason he did that is because he has a 2006 tundra that is payed for by the company. Even gas is free. Nice truck that is. He says it gets about 22mpg and it has a 5 speed. very nice truck. His 1995 F-350 with the 351 gets about 15 mpg. But i still love that truck.

firehart
09-28-2006, 11:12 PM
My 88 Toyota has a 22R with 247,000 miles and still runs like a top.

Billy Golightly
09-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Head gasket seems to be pretty common failure on a 22R and they are the definition of gutless, but they are also pretty damn bullet proof. Even with a bad head gasket I've beat on mine pretty hard...Need to get a new fuel pump on it and get it running again.

slothminx
09-29-2006, 04:58 AM

But if you only want to haul small things they are better then a massive engined american truck in everything. A truck is no good on a race track as a race car is no good at pulling any load. Its all what the machine is designed for.

There 4 cylinder motors are smooth and resonably nippy for there engine size. The V6's are silent, very smooth and flexible engines. Your not looking at what the truck is gonna be used for. Toyota trucks are not pieces of crap by a long way!.

You are a fool always causing contraversy on the boards And clean up your language, the filter shouldnt need to edit all your posts.

Howdy
09-29-2006, 08:08 AM
I'm not a Chevy fan by no means. But with that being said, I think you need a truck like this one ( see picture ). It has a extra long bed, and a sleeper cab built into it. I took this picture back in July at our annual car show here. This truck seems to be there every year.
Howdy

ATC crazy
09-29-2006, 01:44 PM
That thing would get high centered on a speedbump! :lol:

Kintore
09-29-2006, 03:03 PM

We have had nothing but good performance from our 4 cly 5 speed 4runner. We love it, I would love one too but I dont have the 10 g to drop on one or I would!

Im really looking into the dodge 1500 3.9 V6 or the V8 model. Found a 95 that needs brakes with 95 thous miles on her for 3200 CAD. So Im thinking it!

:w00t:

atctim
09-29-2006, 03:43 PM

Kintore has already stated in this thread he is NOT looking for opinions!!

Also - I would like you to back this statement up with some facts. Toyotas are KNOWN for their reliability.

86tri-z270
09-29-2006, 04:20 PM
if its not a chevy dont waste your money

400exguy
09-29-2006, 04:29 PM
I got a 05 Toyota Tundra Double Cab and love it. Havent had any issues with it and am pleased with its towing ability for not being a HD or for being known for its heavy towing ability. One thing you will notice with them is that parts tend to be a bit expensive as are their sticker price tags!

Kintore
10-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Think I found my deal, going to see the dealer this weekend.

http://images.trader.ca/autotrader/6/8/2616680.jpg.fpx?regular
Year: 1994
Make: CHEVROLET
Model: 1500
Model Detail: CHEYENNE
Price: $3,900
Mileage: 183,230 km
Date: 10/1/2006
Ad Type: Dealer
Comment: V6, auto., air, cruise, tilt, AM/FM. Cert., E-tested. 183,230 km. $3900. Pete's Auto Sales

so thats about 113716.2 miles

So ill gip the dealer down some to about 3400-3500. Well see how she goes :)

86waterpumper
10-02-2006, 01:30 PM
HAHAHHA why do you need a airbag? Don't be a wimp now :D someone concerned with safety ought not be on a 3 wheeled contraption it is sure to result in a horrific death lol as for what you should get, I agree with the others that said for a smaller truck go japanese. I have a 81 toyota with a 22r that has taken more crap than I care to go into detail about, I beat on that truck like no other, I drive it through my woods at the house over logs and such my 3 year old gets a kick out of that. Gutless as billy said, but that can be overcome with gearing. I pull 33" tires with mine, plus load down the bed with firewood up to the roof, and can still can haul a 10-14 foot trailer loaded down with two bikes etc not at 80mph mind you but it will do it. They are as near bulletproof of a truck as you are going to find, and I'd say nissans are right up there too. We have some frontiers at work that have many many miles on them and have done great and have not had any major work done in 200k miles or more.

Kintore
10-02-2006, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=Kintore]

so thats about 113716.2 miles

QUOTE]

did you pass your math class? :lol: :lol: :lol: I mean i dont know the stuff to figure KM to miles but i do know its not 113716.2 miles :lol: sorry josh had to give ya a hard time.

Hey check the curreny calculator Kevin! Thats what I used! and im right!:lol:

and willy, I need a airbag due to my brother had a very serious accident 3 years ago, and my mother wants/needs me to have one.

dizasterzrfun69
10-02-2006, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE=dizasterzrfun69]

Hey check the curreny calculator Kevin! Thats what I used! and im right!:lol:

and willy, I need a airbag due to my brother had a very serious accident 3 years ago, and my mother wants/needs me to have one.

dam i was tired :lol: :lol: :lol: i thought i saw another one or two 1's on the front of that. :rolleyes:

My friend used to have an old toyota, i dont know what year it was but everytime he went to the autoparts store he told them it was a 19whatever toyota rust:D It ran good but it was rusty as hell, he had to get rid of it because the frame literally rusted in two.

86waterpumper
10-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Down here in the south, there is far less of a concern with rust etc but I will concede the fact that the older toyotas like mine do rust worse than other trucks, but I doubt nowdays the quality of body metal varies much between any of the brands, from what I see it's all pretty much tin can thickness lol.

jason85atc250r
10-03-2006, 09:56 PM
i have a bunch of the old toyota trucks. it's makes a big difference if you have a efi 22re over a carbed 22r. they will haul alot of stuff if you have a 4x4 they have stronger springs. i've had 1700 pounds going to the scrap yard and it was not bottomed and still accelerated good,

the dually toyota i had at Speedbumps ride you can put over a ton in that and it'll not even look like it saqs. the guy i got it from had reciets of 2550lbs at the scrap yard. so they can haul wieght but the regularv 2wd's have soft springs only 3 leafs.

i have 70 toyota trucks for parts i'm selling on ebay and about 2/3 of them i towed with my 85 4runner 22re with 33's 5" lift and stock gearing. it amazed people with full size trucks at how it towed. the 22re's but out more tourque then the 2.8 chevy s10 and 2'8 carbed ranger motors

a header and 2 1/4 " exhaust helps alot also. if you go with 33's or bigger you shouls get 4.56 por 4.88 gears to help that

86waterpumper
10-04-2006, 09:54 AM
the 81's like mine were the worst for some reason even the 4x4's came from the factory with a gay and weak 3.90 rear ratio. Some sort of emissions law that year I guess. I opted to go to a 5.29 they make some 5.71's but alot of people have trouble with the pinion snapping and such. Carbs do sort of suck I wish mine had the efi, it's alot better for offroading and angles etc too, but the problem with toyota trucks is, I don't think efi was offered till 86, and once you get up past 85 you lose the solid front axle the 85 4runner was the only year both efi and the solid axle were available.

jason85atc250r
10-05-2006, 07:30 PM
yeah they only did the 3.90's that one year them went to 4.10's

i think it was due to the 22r's haveing more power them a 20r so they tried that egaring and it sucked and went to the 4.10's in 82.

smyers33
10-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Get one of these. http://www.moparfins.com/Members_Rides/Greg_Corvair/rampsideA1.jpg

Kintore
10-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Well, I bought a truck without mother knowing! baahahahah

its a 84 Yota, 2.2, 4x4, Ext cab, short box, with a roll cage, 5speed with 250 thous KM, so like 150-175 thous miles. Comes with 33 inch tires,
the way I look at it, even if I cant drive it cause of no air bag ill part her out and make some doe, then junkyard the rest.

Needs minor body work, windshield, passanger seat to make her road legal.

Then im doing all the work myself, im going to paint it black and do all the stuff I want, needs a stereo thats a must!

Best part is, I payed 325 bucks! :w00t:

Looks just like this without the lift and the mudders.
http://dcautocenter.com/images/84Extracab.jpg

theonlyjosh
10-26-2006, 04:35 PM
that thing is beastly, i mean tank!!! lol nice find dayum that's cheap i woulda bought it to, good job!!!

Billy Golightly
10-26-2006, 04:47 PM
ROFL am I the only one that noticed the building in the background? "Hempfield fire department" That has got to be a joke :lol:

brapp
10-26-2006, 06:22 PM
hey man i have a nice 2000 chevy with a 5.3 v-8 in it, has 88k origional miles, 4x4 z71 package, great truck, always maintained and serviced, just took a loan to pay it off, i am thinking about 9 k for it, it has new rear in it and verry reliable truck, has 3 inch flowmaster exaust into duals allthe way back and has 285-75-r16 on her and pewter in color, i wanan keep her but i also want another diesel. gets aprox 18-22mpg depend son how heavy your foot is.

Mosh
10-26-2006, 07:24 PM
ROFL am I the only one that noticed the building in the background? "Hempfield fire department" That has got to be a joke :lol:I saw that one too.:lol:

Bryan Raffa
10-26-2006, 10:18 PM
ROFL am I the only one that noticed the building in the background? "Hempfield fire department" That has got to be a joke :lol:

bahhh ha ha ha.......:w00t: :w00t:

Eric250R
10-27-2006, 04:54 PM

I live about 10 minutes from a town named " HEMP HILL " and " that " is what the town is named for. :D

Dirtcrasher
10-27-2006, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=Kintore]Well, I bought a truck without mother knowing! baahahahah

its a 84 Yota, 2.2, 4x4, Ext cab, short box, with a roll cage, 5speed with 250 thous KM, so like 150-175 thous miles. Comes with 33 inch tires,
the way I look at it, even if I cant drive it cause of no air bag ill part her out and make some doe, then junkyard the rest.

Needs minor body work, windshield, passanger seat to make her road legal.

Then im doing all the work myself, im going to paint it black and do all the stuff I want, needs a stereo thats a must!

Best part is, I payed 325 bucks! :w00t:

You'll make 2K in parts with that thing. Every single piece will sell on EBAY right down to the sun visors and shifter knobs.

When I was done with my 88 Toy 4X4 it wasn't worth 100$. I sold it in pieces and made over 2 grand.

Canadians are huge on SAS lifts, so much that they put them on 89 to 94 trucks and chop off the IFS.

Great Buy :beer

IrvSLedman
10-27-2006, 06:15 PM
good deal, yurlossismygain just bought a 94? yota 5 speed, goofy little thing lol.

jason85atc250r
10-27-2006, 08:49 PM
you need to keep that truck it's in real nice shape. i'll have all the parts you'll need to fix it up. i have 75 toyota trucks for parts from 1979-1994. you'll have a good offroader if you weld the rear gears makes it a posi like a ATV.

if your going to sell it i'll buy it whole.

they are a 2.4 liter engine even though it says 22r on the valve cover. i dont know why they did that.

Kintore
10-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the info! And yah im hoping to legalize it asap cause its a sweet truck!

Jason, if I need parts ill be a calling.

ATC crazy
10-28-2006, 12:19 AM
My friend as a 86, 87, and a 94 Toyota...all with the 22RE and 5-speed. The 86 and the 94 are blown up and are scattered around in pieces. And his '87 that he's driving now is on it's last leg...

They are OK for the trail, but the lack of flex and both open differentials limit it severely. My F150 with a posi goes places in 2WD where he needs 4WD to make it through.

bigred1981
10-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Toyota's are good, but a little more expensive

jason85atc250r
10-29-2006, 10:17 PM
My friend as a 86, 87, and a 94 Toyota...all with the 22RE and 5-speed. The 86 and the 94 are blown up and are scattered around in pieces. And his '87 that he's driving now is on it's last leg...

They are OK for the trail, but the lack of flex and both open differentials limit it severely. My F150 with a posi goes places in 2WD where he needs 4WD to make it through.
yep they ruined them in 86 when they went to the ifs front end. they dont flex much at all

86waterpumper
10-29-2006, 11:29 PM
yes the ifs sucks very much bad, but that is why there are cutting torches, and salvage yards lol. The great thing about it is that there is always some poor sap wanting to buy the ifs parts because they have bent or tweaked theirs on the trail. So sell them your ifs crap to fund buying a solid axle and some hangers and leaf springs lol. Then have the best of both worlds. A light trail ready rig with a solid axle and some flex, that has fuel injection. As far as axles go I woudln't have a limited slip. I prefer a spool in the back, and a locker up front. A truck like that, with low gears and good sized tires is pretty effective.

ATC crazy
10-30-2006, 01:08 AM
As far as axles go I woudln't have a limited slip. I prefer a spool in the back, and a locker up front. A truck like that, with low gears and good sized tires is pretty effective.

Thats what came stock in my truck. If I had the money...there would be a Detroit in the rear with a selectable up front turning 4.56's

jason85atc250r
10-30-2006, 10:52 PM
yes the ifs sucks very much bad, but that is why there are cutting torches, and salvage yards lol. The great thing about it is that there is always some poor sap wanting to buy the ifs parts because they have bent or tweaked theirs on the trail. So sell them your ifs crap to fund buying a solid axle and some hangers and leaf springs lol. Then have the best of both worlds. A light trail ready rig with a solid axle and some flex, that has fuel injection. As far as axles go I woudln't have a limited slip. I prefer a spool in the back, and a locker up front. A truck like that, with low gears and good sized tires is pretty effective.
i had a spool inthe rear of my 82 4x4 i used to off road with with a detriot in the front and 5.29 gears 35"tires. that thing would go anywhere as long as i did not break a front axle birfield. :lol:

you need to get the 30 splind longfields if you lock the front. i broke 3 stock birfeilds in one summer.

check out "formulatoy.org" thats what the parts from my 82 4x4 are being used to biuld.

atctim
10-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Josh - that truck is tits!!! keep it - road legalize it and drike the heck out of it. You stole if for under $400.

ATC-Eric
10-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Post some pics of it!

Kintore
11-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Anyone know any good forums for yotas?

86waterpumper
11-01-2006, 09:07 PM
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/

http://www.pirate4x4.com

jason85atc250r
11-01-2006, 11:17 PM
theres "yotatech.com" i'm a member on there and a officail vendor. my name on there is

toyota parts dude

it's the same on ebay also i sell parts on there.

PitboyJohn
11-04-2006, 09:44 PM
buddy i just read the whole thread and am so glad you didnt get a domestic truck or listen to your mom about the air bag thing.put that beast on the road and drive it with pride.i dont know how bad they salt the roads in ontario but maritimers have more rust buckets than anyone else and toyotas rot the worst.the body's the only thing to worry about.if it was mine the first thing would be to put spray bed liner on the frame, floor,rockers and about 6 inches up the sides at least. toyotas are like the hondas of the truck world,they're tough as nails, thats why they're so expensive,everybody wants them.you made the right choice man, now you just need to convince yur mom
:beer

atctim
11-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Josh,

Here is a real good Yot forum - I used to frequent it alot when I was tinkering with my Toyota:

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?Cat=