PDA

View Full Version : new florida atv law

freeze_sucka
09-27-2006, 11:01 PM
florida has a new atv law that allows atv riders to ride on unpaved roads with a speed limit of 35 and under. when i heard about it made me happy knowing that the state was tryin to help us out. i live in highlands county fl. and the sheriff, Susan Benton trys to be a bad ass and make highlands county different than the other counties in fl.. she made the new atv law exempt to highlands county. we cant ride on unpaved roads with out getting caught and gettin our atvs impounded. i think its b.s. what are the atv laws in other states?

Billy Golightly
09-27-2006, 11:07 PM
That particular law has been exempted in many many counties throughout florida so far sadly. I'd be suprised if more then a half a dozen end up leaving it in place.

freeze_sucka
09-27-2006, 11:16 PM
theres only one place to ride here in sebring and thats the scrubs. pretty soon were gonna loose that. i think its ridiculous. pretty soon theres gonna be no where to ride unless u own land or pay to get into a park.

smokinwrench
09-27-2006, 11:27 PM
highlands county fl. and the sheriff, Susan Benton

I have a few questions. What is the male/female ratio in that county? Was that last sherrif a total loser? I have never heard of a female sherriff.

freeze_sucka
09-27-2006, 11:30 PM
the last sherrif did a good job. he retired and she ran for sherrif and i guess everybody thought we should have a female sherrif since we never had one before. she does a good job but she changes laws that shouldnt be changed. alot of the ppl that voted for her regret it.

87250es
09-27-2006, 11:39 PM
in texas if you get cought on any public road (if there is more than one family living on any road it is public) they can write you up.

Nick_R_23
09-28-2006, 02:36 AM
In alaska you can ride anywhere except on paved roads and paved bike trails. And other peoples private property of course. If you go into a state park though your atv has to be registered or they fine you 300$ and take away your ride.

But if you have a helmet and dont do stupid stuff then people for the most part really dont care where you ride.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

LonesomeTriZ
09-28-2006, 07:54 AM
A lot of states allow that sort of thing. Most of the poliitical power in Florida are dickwods anyway.

Billy Golightly
09-28-2006, 09:54 AM
You should get that 250R setup and come flat track race on October 21st up here at Jasper.

Bryan Raffa
09-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Susan Benton is going to be there at that one on her Tri-z raceing aginst you.. watch out billy..LOL

LonesomeTriZ
09-28-2006, 10:31 AM
But if you have a helmet and dont do stupid stuff then people for the most part really dont care where you ride.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

That is how it should be.

ATC crazy
09-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Does anyone have a link to the ATV laws of different states? I would like to know what the laws are here in VA...

*EDIT*

Nevermind...I found some. Cant ride on any road unless to cross the road, or for agricultural use only. :mad: :rolleyes:

freeze_sucka
09-28-2006, 08:17 PM
i just got the 250r runnin for the first time today. i might think about takin her to jasper.

Eric250R
09-30-2006, 05:41 PM
We actually have it pretty good here. I live in south east Kentucky where the atvs almost outnumber the cars. They changed our laws a few years back. You can basically ride anywhere you want as long as you're not acting like an idiot. You can even ride down the four lane as long as it's not more than a 1/2 mile at a time.

wheelie king
10-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Careful talking about the BOSS. Susan signs my checks, baby!

Thanks for those of you that know that I am one of the "green and whites".... Billy, Lonesome, (and maybe Raffa) for keeping that quiet so far, but I had to say something.

Sheriff Benton is definitely bringing us into the 21st century technology wise, and with stepping up enforcement.

Unfortuantely with ATVs, we get TONS of complaints on them, and it is probably cause of the same handfull of jackasses that ride wheelies on paved roads and 70 mph past little old ladies walking their dogs.......it has really given us ATVers a bad name here in Highlands. Sheriff Benton listened to the overwhelming voices that asked to not adopt the law here in Highlands. Can't really blame an elected official for that- Plus it was the County Commission that had the final say, not the Sheriff.

Many counties are doing the same thing, also. Respect private property and neighborhoods, and don't draw too much attention to yourself! If you do that, no one, including the cops, will pay you the "attention"

HEY SUCKA-- do you live in sebring???? Let's ride!!!!

LonesomeTriZ
10-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Yet another reason I am looking forward to have a home some where other than Florida.

Unfortunatly for us, common sense and respect for others is rare among the masses today. We may ride like adults with somehting to lose. But far too many do the opposite. That is why I understand the actions taken by our officials. I firmy beleive the only solution is to start thinning the jack asses from the masses.

wheelie king
10-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the support, Louis. Unfortunately, the trend is not to hold PEOPLE accountable for their actions. Rather, we blame it on the machines. Kinda like the saying that "guns cause crime like flies cause garbage."

Too Bad.

RedRider_AK
10-06-2006, 02:09 PM
In alaska you can ride anywhere except on paved roads and paved bike trails.

In Nome, you can ride EVERYWHERE besides the main street. It definetely kicks balls. I don't think I'd ever get used to only being able to ride my machines in a designated area, that would suck.

Cant ride on any road unless to cross the road, or for agricultural use only.

So plow a ditch through the road and say you're building an irrigation canal for agricultural use. :naughty:

3Wheel_Gunner
04-29-2010, 05:04 PM
In Nome, you can ride EVERYWHERE besides the main street. It definetely kicks balls. I don't think I'd ever get used to only being able to ride my machines in a designated area, that would suck.

I LOVED groing up in Nome, thats where I got into 3 wheelers. We lived in Icy View, I used to run in on the Nome/Teller, get of at Red Bridge and climb up behind AK Gold. They totally RUINED a great riding track when they built the new AC store

RIDE-RED 250r
04-29-2010, 08:06 PM
the sherriff doesnt have the power to just make up and enact laws. that is the sole responsibilty of the county legislatures....not trying to derail your thread, but it seems as though your anger is focused on the wrong party on this one.... legislatures make the laws, law enforcement departments, (ie country sherriffs) must enforce said laws. period. dont like the county laws?? contact your county legislator and see if you can start a petition to have the law voted on and/or changed by the county legislature.

DixiePlowboy
05-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Florida has county legislatures?

I must admit that I spend too much time riding on public roads( put a few miles on my R today up the highway). I live out in the county where there is no municipal law enforcement. We might see a deputy every now and then, but for the most part nobody bothers us if we don't rattle the windows in the neighborhood. I have no truck or way of trailering to the closest ride area (540+ acres of old gravel/sand pit, woods trails, etc..) which is only 3-4 miles up the highway.....so yeah. I ride over there and back.

Back in the '80s there wasn't much of a deal. So many 3-wheelers means it's hard to say for sure who it was passing your house doing 70mph on the back wheels....plausible deniability. Nowdays, everyone knows it's me with all the 3-wheelers.....so I gotta stay below the radar.

RacerRichie
05-04-2010, 08:45 PM
In CT your bike gets taken away and good luck getting it back if you dont have ALL the corect paperwork.......So I dont look back and keep moving forward...:cool:

Xpress
05-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Up here in the woods nobody cares if you ride around anything with an engine and wheels. The police certainly don't mind it either, as long as you're being careful..

hublake
05-05-2010, 09:49 AM
In Michigan they passed a law a couple of years ago that allowed the use of ATVs on the shoulder of the roads. This law covered the Northern part of the lower peninsula and the upper peninsula. Each county had to approve the law and you were not allowed on the interstate highway, highways that carried a US designation or highways that carried state designation. It basically allowed riding on the county roads paved or gravel. If I can find the link to the bill I will post it.