PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a gas powered RC car..

burnoutboy
09-30-2006, 02:57 AM
I saw one of these racing around a local school the other day. They look like a really fun hobby to get into.

I plan on getting an off road monster truck styled one. What is a good brand that is cheap yet reliable. I just want a complete car where I can add gas and go.. any suggestions?

Cheers.

ATC-Eric
09-30-2006, 04:49 AM
I have a friend that runs those cars. Lots of fun if you do it right.

My advice, pay special attention to break-in procedures. They can be tricky, and blow the motor real easy.

ATCGENIUS
09-30-2006, 05:35 AM
Traxxas is the best gas powered R/C's on earth, they come basically assembled and ready to go. the price is a different matter, traxxas is high, but the high quality last through many wrecks and driver errors. goto this site and I hope this helps. The REVO is the hot 4x4 right now, you will not believe the technology that traxxas pours into these R/C's.

http://www.traxxas.com/

diggerzmound
10-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Talk yourself out of gas now, unless you want to race in a competitive arena. I have owned 3 different gas models, and I currently still own an 1/8th scale gas truck. They are fun and fast, but they are alot of work. constant tuning, things break, the list goes on. I also have a few electrics, they are the best for your occasional playtime. Duratraxx amkes some real inexpensive versatile models, I would suggest starting with one of them. The electrics can be built to be as fast as the gas, with half the hassle. Anymore my gas model stays in the closet and the electrics come out for the occasional rip. Parts are much less expensive for the electric, and hop ups are much cheaper as well. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXJ49**&P=0

there is an example of an excellent beginners truck, get a couple extra batteries and you are set. This way if you grow out of the hobby, you are not out a large bundle of cash. These trucks are sturdy, and have potential.

RedRider_AK
10-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Yeah, if you just wanna bash around, and you JUST GOTTA have a gasser, I'd say start off slow and get a Tower Hobbies ST-10. I ran that for about a month when I was first starting, it's nice and easy to get into the hobby like that. Another idea would be to get an electric truck first, as that is what I did before I got the ST10. The Traxxas Stampede is a good beginner's electric truck.

bigredhead
10-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Lol.. got me 2 of those.. i have a Revo 2.5R ... and an HPI as well.

The suggestion of going electric is not a bad one !!!

The only bonus of Nitro is the sound and smoke.. they are cool . no doubt about it !.. but electric is much simpler in my opinion, and more reliable. ( opinions will vary !!! )

If you like to tinker.. take things apart.. put them back togther.. constantly invest in extras etc.. go for it..

if you are lazy and don't like to tinker... don't get into it !!! $$$$$$

burnoutboy
10-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Electric sounds like a good route... Checked out the costof that nitro fuel, DAMN!!! that stuff is not cheap.

RedRider_AK
10-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Yeah, it's not cheap, but those nitro trucks, even the big 2.5/3.0 engines, they don't really burn much gas at all unless you run them every day for like 4 tanks a day.

Solid Snake
10-05-2006, 10:17 PM
I have 2 trucks currently, an old style T-maxx monster truck with lots of mods and a Team Losi XXX-NT stadium truck. Both are nitro powered and I race my stadium truck in the summer at a local track. I've owned an HPI RS42 and my little bro has a Duratrax ST-Pro, an electric Traxas Stampede, and a Tamiya street car. Let me tell you from experience that with the gas trucks you will spend just as much time tinkering, fixing, and overall maintaining the truck as you will running them. It takes time to learn how to correctly tune the engines, parts cost more, fuel is expensive, and there are many many more parts that need special care. The electric ones startup costs cover a battery pack and a charger, a reciever, and the vehicle itself. After that the only thing you need to worry about is possibly more battery packs and mods, or replacing busted parts. Overall, I'd say start with an electric and if you decide you have the time and money, get a nitro one. Towerhobbies.com is a great website to find most anything, another good site is Horizonhobby.com. Good luck.

Rm250RF900R
10-05-2006, 10:23 PM
SOrry to steal the thread. But, has anyone ever try the electic helicopters?

burnoutboy
10-06-2006, 03:42 PM
SOrry to steal the thread. But, has anyone ever try the electic helicopters?

No worries about the change of subject. They look pretty expensive though.

Rm250RF900R
10-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Yeah there expensive, but I was watching mythbusters the other day and look like tons of fun. Just wanted to see if any has any experience with them.

3 weelin geezer
10-07-2006, 12:04 AM
I always wanted an R/C motor cycle with the little mini evil Kneivel on it then I found me a 185s and ol' Evil just took a plunge too far into the abyss. I still have a corsair (and a couple of engines) that I haven't put together since '95 or so. Maybe someday.

traxxasx
10-07-2006, 04:52 AM
Gas is the way to go!!!!!!!!! I hate electric even with the biggest ohm battery they last a good 5 min, sucks!! You can buy a gallon of nitro for about 20$, dont buy off the internet. I have owned both electric and nitro and beilive me nitro is way more fun, and all you do is gas up and go no wait. I got an hpi rs4 evo. It hauls *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* and i love it, i run it on 15% and its awsome. I bought i gallon of nitro about 2 months ago and ive drove my car about twice every 2 days and i still have half of the gallon LEFT!!!! They dont waste nitro. ELECTRIC SUCK!!!! Well they dont suck its just they are LAME!!! GO WITH NITRO EXSPECIALLY WHEN YOU WANT A TRUCK. If you get like an emaxx or an electric truck the battrys waste sooo fast, not only do you need to charge the battery on the car but the controller ones, and the servo batterys as well. Get an RTR T-maxx, something RTR=ready to run. Break in is easy and comes with direction. To break in maybe use 20% and run 2 gas tanks thru the car , run as in let it idle thru 2 tanks. On the 3rd tank run it slowly. On the forth go for it wide open.

3leggeddog
10-07-2006, 10:30 AM
nitros are fun,but they are alot of work.i got a sweet little nitro rustler.it's been a good truck,and just so happens to be for sale!!?,lol,

burnoutboy
10-07-2006, 08:39 PM
nitros are fun,but they are alot of work.i got a sweet little nitro rustler.it's been a good truck,and just so happens to be for sale!!?,lol,

I am interested. What is the condition of the truck, do you have any pics of the car?

Would you be prepared to send to New Zealand??

Cheers.

burnoutboy
10-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Gas is the way to go!!!!!!!!! I hate electric even with the biggest ohm battery they last a good 5 min, sucks!! You can buy a gallon of nitro for about 20$, dont buy off the internet. I have owned both electric and nitro and beilive me nitro is way more fun, and all you do is gas up and go no wait. I got an hpi rs4 evo. It hauls *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* and i love it, i run it on 15% and its awsome. I bought i gallon of nitro about 2 months ago and ive drove my car about twice every 2 days and i still have half of the gallon LEFT!!!! They dont waste nitro. ELECTRIC SUCK!!!! Well they dont suck its just they are LAME!!! GO WITH NITRO EXSPECIALLY WHEN YOU WANT A TRUCK. If you get like an emaxx or an electric truck the battrys waste sooo fast, not only do you need to charge the battery on the car but the controller ones, and the servo batterys as well. Get an RTR T-maxx, something RTR=ready to run. Break in is easy and comes with direction. To break in maybe use 20% and run 2 gas tanks thru the car , run as in let it idle thru 2 tanks. On the 3rd tank run it slowly. On the forth go for it wide open.

Yeah, I really dislike the fact that the car rapidly slows down when the batterys go flat. I have already had a couple of electric cars, and after some serious thought I decided I am not going back to electric.

I always take good care of machines and always keep them in top condition, so a nitro rc car should last me a long time before needing an engine rebuild.

You can rebuild these engines right? I did a search on a online auction site and can only seem to find complete engines

Solid Snake
10-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Yes they are rebuildable, and it is very simple to do. Typically a rebuild includes a piston and a sleeve which doesn't cost too much and is very simple to do.

bassman
10-07-2006, 09:40 PM
OMG I had a good sized right up, and it all got lost :mad:
Ok, I've had all kinds of RC's, and I can tell you right now, nitro is EXPENSIVE. They seem to break parts easier, and they smell bad. But they are fast. VERY FAST. LOADS of fun, and last alot longer than electrics. Imo, I say start with an electric and go from there. They are cheap, parts are usually nothing, adn they don't break nearly as much as nitros. My 1st rc was a stampede I got 5 years ago. All my RCs are gone now but 1, and that is the very same Stampede. I wouldn't want anyother RC....Except maybe another Kyosho Madforce. That thing was a freaking snow machine. Unstoppable. But as BA as it was, it was done for maintainance more than it was running.
A good Stampede will cost around $100, and alst you forever. Mine has gone through about 4 motors now. It came with a p2K4 pro, then I upgraded to a speedgems 13T, then to a green machine....that blew up, and now it has the stock crummy stinger in it. It deserves much better. I have well over $200 in it and parts alone. If I were you, seriously, get a stampedem, or any Traxxas electrics. Parts are UNLIMITED for them, cheap, and last forever.

bassman
10-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Oh yea, and remember, in RCs, Traxxas = Honda lol.

traxxasx
10-08-2006, 12:44 AM
i know about rc check my name!! its traxxas.!! Well anyways my gas car hasent cost me not one cent besides nitro. If you dont crash it or anything it shouldent need anything. Tunning it is a litttle tricky but once you get it right there hella fast. Also you can rebuild them but you wont have 2 for a long time, my last rs4 that i sold lasted me about 3 years no rebuild, then i sold it.

bassman
10-08-2006, 01:22 AM
I had 3 throttle servo arms break, Driveshaft sheared the shaft receiver/yoke(too much power belive it or not), pull start screwed up(used the good 'ol drill start technique after that), clutch was starting to wear, engine finally locked up- all on my Madforce. It was too much work. When it ran and drove it was....awesome to say the very least. Funnest truck i've ever had. But that .21 was just to powerful.
I had numerous problems on the traxxas SE I had too. Mainly the clutch flying apart, and steering servo arms.

bigredhead
10-09-2006, 06:43 PM
If you want good electric.. get the comparable one's to the Nitros.. with Lithium Polymer batteries and a good quality fast charger.. with a few packs you could go all day long..

The discharge curve on Lithium is much better than Nicad or Nimh.. you have to be careful charging them ( fireplace.. or BBQ come to mind !! ) but they pack alot of power in a small pack !

Dual-Motors with Lipo !! = as good as many nitros !

Go on Google video and search " Nitro RC " .. and " Electric RC ".

crackshot
10-09-2006, 06:58 PM
I used to have two of them. They are a money pit. Wait till you wreck one and you will find out.
I figured the money spent on r/c parts, I could have a lot more fun with a trike.

bigredhead
10-09-2006, 07:17 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1446500537289163993&q=nitro+electric+rc

burnoutboy
10-09-2006, 11:51 PM
I used to have two of them. They are a money pit. Wait till you wreck one and you will find out.
I figured the money spent on r/c parts, I could have a lot more fun with a trike.

So I take it you wouldn't get another one? I also heard they get boring after some time??

ATC-Eric
10-10-2006, 02:48 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1446500537289163993&q=nitro+electric+rc

Great, just great. Now I want one!

traxxasx
10-10-2006, 03:44 AM
I will let mine go for cheap 250, racing pipe, 2 speed tranny, neons, ect.. just kidding i love it to much!!! maybe 300. Lol its so fast.

bassman
10-12-2006, 03:19 PM
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/Baltour/?action=view&current=hy.flv

Me and my old madforce jumping my snow pile. The thing was a snow machine. SO FUN....when it worked.

RCGUY
10-12-2006, 07:04 PM
If you want a RC the you can run hard without breaking alot of parts get a good 1/8 scale buggy . I have a XTM 1/8 buggy and out of all my rc's this almost never breaks , the only thing i have broke in the 3 years i have had it was 1 rear a-arm and i use it very hard . I know people are going to jump allover me for saying this but stay far away from anything traxxas makes , i have had 6 traxxas rc's and the were all junk , they break eazy and there motors are hard to tune. One more thing don't buy something because its cheap because most of the cheap stuff is trash and you will spend more time fixing it then runinng it and you will give up on the hobby fast .
later , Jeff

Solid Snake
10-12-2006, 07:43 PM
I agree that traxxas doesn't make the most durable stuff, although I hear that the new REVO is really excellent in terms of durability and I've seen one running, they are nice. I think that Team Associated and Team Losi make the most durable stuff though, especially when it comes to racing. I have to agree with RCGUY about the 1/8 scale buggies, they are definately built solid, mainly because of their size they have thicker components and a stronger drivetrain to hold up to the larger motors.

bassman
10-13-2006, 01:58 AM
You guys must really suck at maintainaning your RCs then. I've never had a thing break on my stampede out f the 5 years of owning it. Never. The motors go out frequently, but the motors are made by seperate companys.

Solid Snake
10-13-2006, 02:31 AM
No way man, I always maintain my RC stuff. I've never had a problem with my bro's Stampede either, they have few parts and the drivetrain doesn't get the same stress as my .18 Sirio powered T-maxx which has parts twisting to pieces all the time. Everytime something breaks I replace the part with something aftermarket and it usually holds up much better.

bassman
10-13-2006, 02:43 AM
well that kinda goes with ALL rcs. Considering aftermarket is usually a metal/aluminum of some kind rather than plastic.