PDA

View Full Version : i think i love my new quad... added pics

3leggeddog
10-01-2006, 09:29 PM
well,first day on the track with the ltz 400.doesn't make near enough power,but she handles like a dream.i had about 2 hours of play ridin/break in time on her when i rolled into the track today.managed a 2-1 finish for a first overall.not bad for no seat time,and the bike runnin a bit lean.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/th_z400nr006-1.jpg (http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/z400nr006-1.jpg)
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/th_z400nr005-1.jpg (http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/z400nr005-1.jpg)
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/th_z400nr004-1.jpg (http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/z400nr004-1.jpg)
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/th_z400nr003-1.jpg (http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/z400nr003-1.jpg)
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/th_z400nr001-1.jpg (http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/z400nr001-1.jpg)

350Xhilaration
10-01-2006, 09:41 PM
did you buy that off of TRIKE?

I liked my Z, sorry to sell it, but somethin had to give. Get some pics.

TravEX
10-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Cool, how long you had it?

85hondaatc125m
10-01-2006, 10:21 PM
If there hasnt been another post about it, I want to see :pics:

3leggeddog
10-02-2006, 05:38 AM
i'll get some pics soon.i bought it from our buddy nate last friday.it was in the shop that monday gettin a new piston,and rings.got er out friday,and raced it sunday,lol.good solid buy,and a good solid bike.as soon as i wash it,i'll post some pics.

3leggeddog
10-02-2006, 08:02 PM
just added some pics for you guys,sorry they are fuzzy,low batts.

03 ORANGE SHEE
10-02-2006, 09:19 PM
that is NICE!! someone put alot of $$ into it in aftermarket goodies :w00t:

Rm250RF900R
10-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Yeah they didnt come origally that wide I dont think. Thing looks sweet. Does it have the cherry bomb on it?

200xcellent
10-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Yeah they didnt come origally that wide I dont think. Thing looks sweet. Does it have the cherry bomb on it?

its the 400, not 450 which means no efi

hrc85250r
10-03-2006, 12:01 AM
is it just me or is the left front tire on backwards?

ATC-Eric
10-03-2006, 12:35 AM
Think its just you......

200xcellent
10-03-2006, 11:31 AM
is it just me or is the left front tire on backwards?

thats what i thought too when i saw it saturday, but im pretty sure the direction arrow is forward :wondering the left and right deff are going different directions though

Rm250RF900R
10-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Woops, your right. I just assumed it was the 450.

Kintore
10-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Nice ride Brandon!

Ive always liked the zukis, I want a test ride!:)

TRIKE
10-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Woot!! NJ on the racing Brandon. NIce quad ya got there!! Glad to see ya make the transition!! LMAO. BY the way.In your sig you have the aarms at +2,,they are +3 :P When you coming over to ride again ? I got the fever now. Gonna try and work on the trck again tonite if its dry enough. Gimme shout.CYa.

wanta86r
10-03-2006, 06:33 PM
i thought you were a die hard trike guy, what are you going to do with the extra wheel?

3leggeddog
10-03-2006, 07:11 PM
i thought you were a die hard trike guy, what are you going to do with the extra wheel?

i'm gonna ride the *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* out of it.i am a die hard trike guy.but if you can't beat em,join em!.

i do fairly well against the quads on my trike,but i can't run up front on it.usually mid pack is the best i can do.the 4 strokes quads are way easier to ride,and don't wear you out like the old trike.it's just under suspended,and under powered.i get tired of hearing all the crap about trikes can keep up with quads on a mx track.with equal rider talent,i gurantee the quad wins.not from being so much faster,but less rider fatiuge also.i consider myself a fairly good rider.i have not raced with many people who can match my speed,not being arrogant,but this year i had a chip on my shoulder,had something to prove.and i proved it.so i am moving up to a more diverse,and competitive class.i am tired of gettin smoked by the quads,so i got me one.just as i expected,i was in the front of the pack.the kid i beat,usually hands it to me pretty good when i'm on my trike.when the playing feild is leveled out a little,rider ability starts to show.

i will always run/race my trike.but now i can run a quad class too,well on a quad anyway.:TrikesOwn

hey nate,thanks for the heads up,no wonder she won't hardly fit in the bed of my dakota,lol.

Dammit!
10-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Just as long as you don't sell the trike, we forgive you. :lol:

I've always said that anybody that can ride fast on a trike will absolutely FLY on a quad. Most (not all) of those quad guys can't ride. They let the quad do all the work. No body english. The trike teaches you to be a better rider, period.

3leggeddog
10-03-2006, 08:14 PM
you hit it right on.i totally out corner most other riders.i am used to throwing my weight around,and usin my body for leverage/traction.the quad is soo much easier to ride.the biggest benifit...i don't get tired.

the trike will most likely never be for sale,unless i am building another.i love 3 wheelers,hands down.everytime we are at the track i wonder,how would do on one of those?,can i run their pace?,wher would i finish in this class..because those guys look fast!

you know what i mean,i am not abandoning the trikes,hell no,i'm simply taking the next step in racing,just like those guys did 20 yrs. ago.only i am still gonna rip around on my r!!

Mosh
10-03-2006, 09:05 PM
welcome to the Dark Side.The force is strong in you brandon!!

TimSr
10-03-2006, 11:26 PM
i'm gonna ride the *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* out of it.i am a die hard trike guy.but if you can't beat em,join em!.

i do fairly well against the quads on my trike,but i can't run up front on it.usually mid pack is the best i can do.the 4 strokes quads are way easier to ride,and don't wear you out like the old trike.it's just under suspended,and under powered.i get tired of hearing all the crap about trikes can keep up with quads on a mx track.with equal rider talent,i gurantee the quad wins.not from being so much faster,but less rider fatiuge also.i consider myself a fairly good rider.i have not raced with many people who can match my speed,not being arrogant,but this year i had a chip on my shoulder,had something to prove.and i proved it.so i am moving up to a more diverse,and competitive class.i am tired of gettin smoked by the quads,so i got me one.just as i expected,i was in the front of the pack.the kid i beat,usually hands it to me pretty good when i'm on my trike.when the playing feild is leveled out a little,rider ability starts to show.

i will always run/race my trike.but now i can run a quad class too,well on a quad anyway.:TrikesOwn

hey nate,thanks for the heads up,no wonder she won't hardly fit in the bed of my dakota,lol.

Wow! Its nice to hear somebody echo exactly what I have been saying WHO WOULD ACTUALLY KNOW! I was told it was obvious that I was a better quad racer than trike racer. What a joke! Im an excellent trike racer, but only an average quad racer at best in the pool of talent in the CRA. I remember when I brought home my bone stock 86 TRX250R, rode it for 20 minutes, took it to the track, and got 5th out of 12 without even setting it up. Trike racers make the best quad racers. Quads are raced exactly the same, only they will cover a lot of your mistakes, and allow you to do everything faster. The trike requires perfect execution of all moves, or it will immediatley let you know you have err'ed. Trikes force you to develop all the body English that you SHOULD be using on a quad to get the most out of it. Trikes make awesome training and conditioning tools for quad racing. Todays quads are light years ahead of my old TRX250R with which I just couldnt be very competitive any more. Before the 400Ex started the new generation of racing quads, trikes could actually be competitive, though at a disadvantage. Trikes are no match for a quad on the motocross track today, unless the trike rider is twice as good as the guy on the quad!

Ill disagree with dammit on one point, but since he is not an Ohioan Ill let it slide! That is that most quad riders dont know how to use the body English. Maybe for the informal trail riders, but in the CRA sanctioned events here, there is lots of pretty amazing talent among quad riders who are serious MX racers. Brandon got a taste of that when he decided to run his trike in "Extra Quad" as a second class at Ashland Co. Fair. I think maybe that helped prompt this who new revelation for him about trying to match trikes against quads too. It sucks to outride a bunch of guys, and still get your butt handed to you!

Brandon is a top notch talented rider, and i expect big things now that the playing field has been leveled just a little. (still running a Z400 against the new 450's). I also expect he'll be the guy hanging in there keeping 3 wheeled MX alive just a little longer to be viewed by those who will never experience it. Ride on!!!

Dammit!
10-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Ill disagree with dammit on one point, but since he is not an Ohioan Ill let it slide! That is that most quad riders dont know how to use the body English. Maybe for the informal trail riders, but in the CRA sanctioned events here, there is lots of pretty amazing talent among quad riders who are serious MX racers.

Actually I *am* an Ohioan by birth and upbringing. Born in Dayton, raised in Toledo. Moved to AZ when I was 20. ;)

In my defense, I did say "not all". A lot of them though. I'm sure the pros fly. In fact I have some vids on my hard drive of some pro racers going absolutely nuts. I've seen vids of sanctioned events with quad riders not using hardly any body english at all too though. Not sure what class I was watching (I'm thinking, maybe hoping it was intermediate) but it was clear they lacked some of the basic skills riding a trike gives you. I think anybody that is interested in racing quads real seriously would be doing themselves a huge favor by riding and racing a trike a bit on the side. Kind of like baseball players swinging a bat with weights on it.

Bottom line though, who cares. As long as you're out there having fun I could care less how many wheels somebody is on. :w00t:

3leggeddog
10-04-2006, 08:27 PM
haha,good point.i don't care if it's a honda,yammy,kaw,or zuke,if it's fast and outta control...i like it.2-3-4 wheels,i ride em all,as hard as i can!!

tim has seen first hand,and been a victim aswell,to the plauge known as quads.they are supiour on a mx track,period.the new four stroke power plants are more lethal weapons aswell.tourqe is your best friend on a mx track,and these things really make everyone a decent rider.

i hope your right tim.i had about 2 hours on the machine before sun.,hopefully with a bit more seat time,i can make you proud!

as long as i am racing,i'll be running my trike.it helps with conditoning,aswell as rider finess.wish me luck guys,but keep in mind,the 250r goes on the trailor first,comes off first,and is the first to get washed!!!!

TimSr
10-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Actually I *am* an Ohioan by birth and upbringing. Born in Dayton, raised in Toledo. Moved to AZ when I was 20. ;)

I knew there was something that made you alright!

In CRA we have the woodsman class which is the beginner adult class aka "demolition derby class". You also have all kinds of riders, from super, to dangerous in the Blaster class which is domintaed by teenagers, but when you get into all of the other classes, considered "advanced" the riders are pretty amazing. Most of the X trikers are in the Senior Quad class (30+) for obvious reasons. There arent very many former trike racers Brandon's age!

TimSr
10-04-2006, 09:11 PM
i hope your right tim.i had about 2 hours on the machine before sun.,hopefully with a bit more seat time,i can make you proud!

Im proud of anybody who gets past "Armchair Racer" status but you've already exceeded all expectations, and I expected a lot. Be prepared for tougher coimpetition in CRA events, as most of the good riders dont "waste" their time on outlaw tracks, but I have no doubts as to how well youll do. Just judgeing from your trike skills, Id expect you to be in the top 25% on a quad right off the bat. In CRA Id recommend skipping woodsman class, and running 4 stroke class or open class(which replaced 2 stroke). Open is probably better because you could run yor trike in that class too should your quad be down, or you just get the urge.

3leggeddog
10-04-2006, 09:25 PM
i still want to hone in my trikde skills,i think i ave a little left to learn,and improve.open class sounds like a good call.we seen how i do on the trike,time will tell about the quad.

thanks for support tim.i knew you would understand the transition.it's just something else i need to prove to my self i can.next season looks to be a busy one!!hopefully with a 440 kit,or a new power plant in general,the z400 will do ok.

200xcellent
10-04-2006, 09:34 PM
a kid in my engineering group here at school said he has a 466 kit in his z and it flies, also said it would smoke my raptor right after i told him i have one haha

MyMistress86R
10-17-2006, 06:52 PM
I witnessed Brandon's first race on his less than a week old training wheel ride and I gotta say I was impressed. I've always considered Brandon a fabulous and fearless rider and his skills are only going to get better from here on out. Makes me realize just how truly old and pussified I have become...lol. RAAAGGGG IT, B!!!

3leggeddog
10-18-2006, 07:43 PM
thanks todd.you should've come over this weekend.i sacked up and jumped everything over there.even the double up top by the flat track,and i did the step on,step off,double.i hit the step on perfect once,and cased it twice.blew out the left rear tire,still jumped the up hill,and managed to hold off arron main for 2 laps,all with a flat.felt pretty good.i took 4th,then 3rd in the open(big boy) class,and went 1-1 in the woodsmen(my class).deffinitly getting more comfortable.too bad the seasons over

theonlyjosh
10-19-2006, 09:15 PM
wow dude that thing looks insane, very fast!!! how fast does it go?

3leggeddog
10-19-2006, 09:31 PM
it actually feels very slow.i am used the r,so this thing is a terd.but,and a big but,i am jumping more jumps,and stayin closer to the front of the pack.the 4 stroke power is wierd.doesn't fell like it pulls hard,but i was over shooting a few things.very different.

it must be pretty quick,i got the holeshot on a 416ex,a 440ex,another 440ex.not too bad huh?

jason85atc250r
10-19-2006, 09:44 PM
i was never impressed with the ltz 400's they are slow. my trx250r has no port work done to the cylinder and stock carb and i would hang rite in there with a ltz400 with a Yoshimira 440 fit and exhaust and had the bigger carb also.

it was not riders because this guy raced A class at the nationals and did good.

the trx250r handles better also due to the upward tilt off the frame in the front by the Aarms. it gives you caster you need. ltz are flat like a old quad racers thats what hurts them.

people on here say 250r's are old technology and cant handle good as the new bikes. then how come all the pro guys ran 250r's till the prodiction rule came out. the ltz's were out a couple years and nobody used them. some ran yzf426's
Doug Gusts bike those years was a 250r chassis with a drz400 motor.

the aftermarket frame does not make them handle better so thats not a excuse.

smokinwrench
10-19-2006, 09:52 PM
it must be pretty quick,i got the holeshot on a 416ex,a 440ex,another 440ex.not too bad huh?

When I had my 400ex with a wiseco piston, stage2 hot cam, velocity intake, pipe. It ran hard but it had no chance against a stock Z400 with the baffle out. It was a far superior quad over the 400ex as far as i'm concerned.

jason85atc250r
10-19-2006, 09:58 PM
When I had my 400ex with a wiseco piston, stage2 hot cam, velocity intake, pipe. It ran hard but it had no chance against a stock Z400 with the baffle out. It was a far superior quad over the 400ex as far as i'm concerned.
yep i agree. the ltz have around 10 or 12 more horsepower them a 400ex.

3leggeddog
10-19-2006, 09:59 PM
it's a good quad.handles excellent.tim sr would have to totally disagree with ya jason.he told me when he rode the ltz stock,it felt like a car on pavment,to the trx which felt like a car on a gravel rode.not doggin the r's,they are legendary.but i have witnessed first hand a guy on a trx get 2nd in the holeshot,and every lap he got passed by another 450r,yfz,lt-r,400ex,till he was dead last.this guy could ride,but the bike just didn't pull outa the corners as hard.he had a fully build r,and i am sure he was as suprised as i was how he finished.

the ltz feels heavy compared to a 250r,but is easier to ride,which means less fatiuge,and pulls so nice outa corners.i think it wil out perform the beloved trx.maybe you and i can hook up sometime for some research,and development.

jason85atc250r
10-19-2006, 10:13 PM
the stock front shocks on the trx250r are not quite as good i would agree there. hes about the only person thats raced alot that i heard of that thinks that way. i never heard anybody have that much good to say at the local races aroung here about the ltz 400.

it mite have been his motor work that was done to it. he should have been killing 400ex's. maybe his port work sucks.

that would be cool about a comparision test. maybe at Trikes track. i would need a place to crash since it's 6 to 7 hours away. i dont get to rid as much lately so i'm out of shape some.:lol:

3leggeddog
10-19-2006, 10:17 PM
we can find some floor for ya,or a spare bed.we'll hook you bud.i don't think anything was done to tim sr. r.he said it was a great machine,but was inferior to the newer 4 strokes of that time,namely the 400 ex,ltz 400.i really like the ltz.have you ever spent much time on one?i think charlie said it best"experience is the best education"

jason85atc250r
10-19-2006, 11:34 PM
i rode one a couple of times it did not seem any faster then my trx250r they are close. aftermarket exhaust livens up a 250r alot. they are kindof slow with stock stuff but not that bad.

my one buddy bought a 400ex brand new in 98 and i had mine with a Bills pipe and thats all and he could not hang in a drag race and on a track due to high seat height. he bought a trx250r in 2000 and since the 400ex gave him problems. he sold it due to not being used to a 2 stroke and then he bought a new ltz 400 just like yours. he said the trx250r handled way better and regretted selling it. he races GNCC's in the a class. he has a trx450r now.

i'm into coming out some time whenever a group day is figured out. i'd have to leave friday nite and crash there.

TimSr
10-22-2006, 07:43 PM
I had a 1986 TRX250R that was all stock other than Works triple rate shocks up front, an ESR TRX6 low end pipe, and my typical low trail gearing.

I rode two different 400EX's one night when they first came out. One was bone stock, the other setup for a 150 lb rider. I felt they were too high for starters and were not confortable at all. The modified one fit a lot better than the stock one. I didnt care for the handling with the seat hieght, but it wasnt bad. With some modified setup and some lowering they had potential. Stock suspension was way too stiff for me, but the stock front on the 400EX was superior to my R with the Works setup. Powerwise, you would swear it was dog slow after a 2 stroke, but that is an illusion. It turns right on at the bottom instead a midrange "turbo boost". The R was slightly quicker on straights, but the 400's were harder than heck to pass in corners because they powered out a lot better, and gear selection for cornering was optional, unlike the 2 stroke which had no room for error. Overall, I just didnt like the 400EX and did not feel comfortable on it. I didnt really feel it was superior to the R, but felt it was certainly its equal, but then, I think that was its purpose in the Honda line.

I rode Nate's Z400 when he first got it, when it was stock showroom setup. I felt it was superior to both the R and the EX in handling and stock suspension. It was moving from a gravel road onto pavement compared to the 250R. It was very smooth riding, and soaked up jumps like no tomorrrow. It was much softer, yet I could jump much higher. It cornered like a dream even though I wasnt thrilled about the height on it either. I was convinced that I could win some races on one, more than on my R. I really liked it, and felt it was a superior stock MXer to the stock R by far, and better than the 400EX. Of course, what we found out later is that the first Z400 frame design was awful, and would not stand anywhere near the beating of the R or the EX, thus all the welding and cracked frames. With a stronger frame design, I think the Z400 would have dominated the 250R/400EX era until the 450's arrived, but the poor frame design left it sitting on the bench.