PDA

View Full Version : Electric Impact.

Yamahauler
10-03-2006, 02:40 AM
Just wondering if any of you guys use these. Im thinking about buying one, just for small things like clutch nuts, hub nuts, primary drive gear nuts...would it have any trouble with that kind of stuff? Im sick of busting knuckles with the breaker bar.

ATC-Eric
10-03-2006, 02:57 AM
Do you have a compressor? Impact wrenchs arent to much.......

nate b
10-03-2006, 08:01 AM
I've got a milwaukee, had it for about 8yrs. I love it

smokinwrench
10-03-2006, 08:03 AM
I have used one and I agree 100% with jeswinehart.

Might look into cordless impacts they are great, cost more but dang nice.

ScottZJ
10-03-2006, 08:08 AM
I bought one awhile back and it works great! I do plan on getting an air compressor and have a "real" impact; but for now it does the job great and when you have 8 lugs a tire its nice!

SYKO
10-03-2006, 08:29 AM
I have a cordless impact, and I take that think any where its a 3/8 drive so with a regular socket set you can get about anything loose, deffinitly worth the money, mine is a dewalt

blue27
10-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Air is the only way to go for pure power, but for ease and in situations like pits or trailside cordless is nice. I have a Snap-On 9.6 volt 3/8 for small stuff like fenders brackets topend dissassembly and a Snap-On 18 volt that just kicks arse!!! Lug nuts on the truck not a problem and just did balljoints on a Durango for a friend. CV shaft main nuts and axle u bolts I usually just go for the air. Cordlessis a little pricey but if you are going to use it hard (like I do) then don't risk going cheap and it breaking while you out in the middle of a junk yard 50 miles from home trying to remove something.

SYKO
10-03-2006, 10:46 AM
actually the electric is more powerfull unless you get into the huge 1inch impacts and such, I have a IR 1/2 air impact that runs on 175 psi, and I have taken nuts off with the electric one that the big IR could not, and belive me its POWERFULL, but on a full charge electric motors have monster tourqe, and even when its low on charge its still good to take off alot of stuff with, from what i heard now they have a 36 volt dewalt impact thats a pure monster, might have to uprgrade

thefox
10-03-2006, 11:45 AM
I like my electric one; it is the best tool that I forget to use. It seems like every time I go to take clutches or other hard to get at and hold bolts I struggle for a few minutes before remembering about the impact wrench which takes it off easy.

Billy Golightly
10-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Not saying your wrong sykolincoln but I just have a hard time myself believing that 110v electric impact has more torque then a 1/2 drive ingersoll that is rated for 600ft/lbs at 90psi? Got a link to some torque ratings of the electric ones?

Pete
10-03-2006, 11:54 AM
I couldn't get the steering stem nut off my YFZ with an electric. Hit it lightly with my buddies IR 1000 ft/lb and it shot across my garage at mach 3. haha

Yamahauler
10-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Ok, thanks. My buddy is coming over later with his elec impact, its a prehistoric one, but i think it should work.

Im going to have to start shopping around for one of my own.

SYKO
10-03-2006, 01:15 PM
well im not one to knock my IR any ways, and my freind is who proved me wrong, we were working on getting some rusted wheels off a jeep, and my Ir wasnt doing anything to it but shaking the rust around and killing my ears, he busts out a john deer alectric corldless (he used to work for john deer) and busted all the lugs off of every wheel with ease, I was like wtf? no way! just to see what it could do, I tightened a lug all the way down with my Ir trying to break it, and it wouldnt do it, I put another lug on another stud and with the Electric it tightened it down and I kept going and it sheared the stud off with ease! You really have to try one to beleive it, but his was a 1/2 drive cordless 36 volt he paid somewhere around 600 for it even with his discount! mine cost me about 400 a few years ago, it stay on the charger, and when I go on trips or to the junk yard I take it, its a lifesaver, try one there wicked

ClayW
10-03-2006, 04:16 PM
I have a 6yr old Dewalt. Broken a few wheel studs off on cars with it by accident. Over tightened them.

IrvSLedman
10-03-2006, 04:50 PM
You think those are cool, today in college (OTC diesel) we were changing the kingpins in some freightliners, the impacts we use there... woo, bout break your arm if it gets away from ya, imagine taking your trike apart with that, lol..l but hey light duty electric ones do the job. go for it man

edog
10-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Lets see some pics of these electric impact guns?

daputz
10-04-2006, 12:15 AM
Iv'e got 110v that I haven't used in over a year.............then I have a dewalt 14.4v that I use everyday all day and I love it. 1/2" drive rated at 130 ftlbs, not many fasteners on m/c, quads and trikes require any where near 130ftlbs. (unless of coarse it is 20+ years old and rusted shut)

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=5727

3 weelin geezer
10-04-2006, 02:39 AM
I once borrowed an electric one from my neighbor and I thought it was really worthless. The 'impact' if you can call it that was no more violent than a strong curse word. I would go with an air powered one anyday. If you want portability to take with you I would go with one of those craftsman hammer type. I have one and I like it very much. So much that if given the choice, I would choose to put in a little elbow grease than be there making a racket and getting nowhere with the gun. Besides, the hammer one is easier to apply just the right amount of torque depending on how hard you hit it.

Yamahauler
10-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Just went out and bought this tonight. 240 ft. lbs.

Got it from Canadian tire, marked down from $150 to $99.

I just about went to Princess auto and got the sh**y powerfist one they got there, but went to C-tire first and seen this deal. I might try it out tonite.

Yamahauler
10-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Well after plugging it in and revving it up a bit, i needed to try it out, it spun both the primary drive gear nut and the clutch nut off with no problem...I highly reccommend this tool.

3 weelin geezer
10-17-2006, 10:35 PM
I saw some at the store with 480 ft. lb with a 1/2 " drive.

erectordale
10-18-2006, 01:00 AM
I use electric impacts daily we drive 6" to 9" lag bolts for about 2 hrs a day I buy the dewalts and they last about 4 months. I have had portercable ,milwaukee, dewalt,black&decker ,craftsman,and the imports. The milwaukee high end was the best but also 3 times the money. Dollar for dollar the dewalt gives me the best life and dependability. I use a air impact in my shop I bought a chicago pneumatic with 560 ft lbs of torque if this don't break it loose you need heat to help it along