PDA

View Full Version : who supports thier local shops?

Jim mac
10-03-2006, 08:51 PM
I understand it helps to go to the local shops to build up your community etc. but, I looked online and can get nobbies for 25.99 vs. 45+ tax local. I called on a clutch kit and its 68 dollars local I don't think it uncluded the springs, I saw stock clutches for 28 and the springs for 9 bucks I think from dennis kirk. then I call a shop for rear fender for the X. $168 and tax. so it comes out to about 181 dollars, mail order its 133 free shipping. I'm a working stiff like the rest of you. So Im definetly going through the internet.
What do the rest of you do? Jim

deathman53
10-03-2006, 08:59 PM
I order most of my stuff online, when my friend had his shop I ordered most of my stuff from him, he charged me some more than catalogs, but not too much. I usually got about 20-30% off

xljimmy
10-03-2006, 09:03 PM
I am also a working stiff and money talks. It is kinda sad but reality. The big can afford to almost give the stuff away and the small time shops everbody loves cant afford to cut prices as much. The rich get richer and poor get poorer.

ScottZJ
10-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Well I hate to say this but I dont anymore. They have become money grubbin arogant foos. You try to get parts at a fair market price just to support them and they goug the mess out of you. I go to the shops and try on helmets and gear and then go online to buy it 70% cheaper and I know it will fit too haha. Thats sad cuz I used to try to support the shops as much as I can, but after you have been screwed this much, something has to give.

Dammit!
10-03-2006, 09:12 PM
I only buy locally once in a while. Depends on what it is. I bought new rims recently because online wasn't much cheaper. I always buy oil, premix, cables and things like that locally. Most of the time though the local prices are just so high that it just doesn't make sense to not order online. My local shop wants $69 plus tax for a set of freaking shock covers if you can believe that. Same exact set that you can get for $35 from J&L or less than $30 on ebay. Sometimes I wonder how/why anyone buys anything from them.

And lets not forget how rare it is that anybody has trike parts anyway.

Derrick Adams
10-03-2006, 09:14 PM
I can't really say enough about our local shop. We buy 99% of everything from there. He's been in business for several years and really helps out the local racers. Supports the local tracks, etc.
Plus, he's an ex- 3wheeler racer and still stocks all our replacement parts for our trikes. Very seldom do I have to order anything for my R.

Not to mention the fact that we always seem to have a running tab there. lol
Must have spent $5000+ there this last year. lmao

** Forgot to mention he beats Dennis Kirks prices on everything! **

200xman
10-03-2006, 09:20 PM
My local Honda/Polaris dealer is pretty good. I also take care of the parts guys boat so I get a better discount than most.:naughty:

sandpuppi101
10-03-2006, 09:25 PM
I would have to say that I stock up on parts mostly from internet and various connections ,but I am always in the Local Honda dealer ordering hit and miss OEM parts just to keep in a good standing relationship with them,actually my local dealer has been sending trikes and older quads my way,I hope our relatioship continues to thrive,in a sence we both win!!

thefox
10-03-2006, 09:42 PM
For my OEM Yamaha parts I use the dealer most of the time. They charge a little more but not much but mostly I like the dealer. They are nice there and know who I am (I have been stopping in for a while). When I need an opinion on a part they help out no charge (listening to noises, bearing play, ect.).

The Honda dealer is not personal at all and they don't act interested in my business and is overpriced so I don't use them unless I need a part they have in stock.

Non OEM parts are all catalog/online orders for me. I don't have a lot of money to throw around so I try and save where I can.

LOL actually on the cross country motorcycle trip that my friend Joe and I took this summer Fred at the Yamaha dealer was the one to get most of the postcards! Joe bought his bike from him and we both had been stopping in talking about the trip so much it just seemed like the right thing to do.

xljimmy
10-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Hey jeswinehart ,
Your pratically my neibor. Just curious about the names of the shop/stores your talking about. The younger one must be cycle supply.

ATC crazy
10-03-2006, 10:03 PM
I buy everything online, except for oil, and lube. I will at least call the dealer if I need something in a day or two and see if they have it...if not, then I get it online

burnoutboy
10-04-2006, 01:00 AM
I always get my oem parts from the local yamaha dealership. Ordered a air filter and was ready to pick up the next day. Most big online sites that stock parts are generally in the states, which makes it rather expensive to get stuff shipped over here..

ATC-Eric
10-04-2006, 03:01 AM
I hit the shop only when I need oil, plugs, misc, and the ocassional mechanicle help.

SYKO
10-04-2006, 08:45 AM
a couple of shops here order stright from parts unlimited, and I have got parts cheaper through them than ordering online or waiting on ebay, put it this way my shop working on my gf's blaster motor is awsome, I will have less than 500 in that motor and they bored it over 40, wiscoe piston, split the cases put in all new bearings, and a complete wiscoe hot rod crank kit, all new gaskets, and labor included, hell if i owuld have bought all the parts myself it would have been that much, so sometimes it pays to have a shop get the stuff for you, just look around, I needed a coil for my blaster, called one shop said they could order one for 55 called another one they said they had it come pick it up for 36 so..... just keep looking

85ytz250n
10-04-2006, 04:16 PM
I wouldnt even let the local shop look at my Z or 400EX, Much less let them work on either. I do sometimes get parts from them, but that is only parts that are instock, and needed for riding. They are one of those shade tree shops, that somehow found its way under a roof. I dont trust any of them further than I could throw my Bronco. They only care about how much money I am willing to fork out. They wanted to charge me $250 for a carb for the 200ES, no thanks.

Barry

84honda200s
10-04-2006, 04:46 PM
i order off dennis kirk. but i try to stay around my area. the mark up is huge around here.

AZ250R
10-04-2006, 07:45 PM
I think it kinda depends on how big of a "local" market you live in. Here in the general Phoenix valley there are litteraly 100 bike parts places, so ya just call around until you find something at a price comparable to the web. Then decide if its worth it to drive 50 miles across town to get it. In my case, since my car is almost as fun to drive as my trike, thats a YEP'Rs and I go get it. But most of the cool places are way to expensive for more than they should be. So going for a "look see" is all I'll do there, and that sucks cause we have some nice looking shops. Its that one time your call'n around and you'll find some NOS trike parts for a great deal that makes it all worth it! :cool:

MTS
10-04-2006, 08:43 PM
I do!, but i also work for them.........Sounds like they have ALOT of bad shop's south of the border from all the horror stories i have herd.....

SYKO
10-06-2006, 08:01 PM
well I have to give BIG PROPS to Valdosta motorcycle accesorries, they had my gf's blaster in to get a lower end, they quoted me a price I said do it, they were going to put in a wiscoe hotrod complete stock length crank in, well they couldnt get one from any of there supliers, so... they put in a vitos stroker crank at no aditional charge!! its like 60-or 70 more then a stocl lenght crank!, these guys have helped me out emensly on some of my more ambitous projects, also the bead blasted my cases, what i got back was an almost brand new motor, new topend,lower end, seals, bearings,gaskets, (now the trans will go out)lol