PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Tuning

RedRider_AK
10-04-2006, 12:45 PM
All righty. I've been interested in this topic for a really long time now, but I've never had the time to fully understand it.

How does one go about building a custom 2-stroke exhaust?

I've got several questions lined up for you folks who are proficient enough in this field to help me out:

How do you change the RPM range in which powerband is reached?
Is there any way to know beforehand what sort of performance characteristics a pipe will have, without actually putting it on the machine and running it?
What kind of powerband should I shoot for for a 250cc snowmobile engine, with a CVT clutch?
Does a silencer increase or decrease performance? If decrease, then how small do I have to make it until the loss is negligible?
Will a performance pipe and rejetting the carbeuretor decrease reliablility and parts life in any way?

If anyone's got the know-how to help me out on this one, I'd really enjoy your help. Together, we can build a better mousetrap, right? :naughty:

Thanks, to all the people that help:

-RedRider_AK

ATC crazy
10-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Well...all I know, is that you would want a pipe that makes its power in the upper RPM range, since snowmobile clutches usually dont enguage until around 5,000 rpm's...

MTS
10-04-2006, 10:59 PM
http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/tunedpipetheory2.htm