PDA

View Full Version : AMA Sanctioned Race

88 Turbo Coupe
10-08-2006, 07:15 AM
Has anyone entered a hare scramble race with there atc lately. There is one coming up here and I want to enter.

Derrick Adams
10-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Well, heres the rule of thumb that we operate by. Firstly, if the races are fairly close by, just show up with your bike properly prepared and cash in hand to participate. Do not call ahead. Your chances of getting in are much better this way.
Secondly, Outlaw tracks are much more likely to let you run. AMA hasn't legally allowed trikes to participate in years. Not to say you can't get in though. It's been so long now, that most organizers may not care.
Most insured tracks are not insured for 3-wheelers, that's why they won't let you race.
I would suggest that you do a google search for the types of racing you want to do and search for unsanctioned tracks first.

One last thing, Harescrambles are an absolute blast on a 3-wheeler and it's one form of racing you can be very competitive with them. We usually finish in the top 5 in our local Harescrambles. *The muddier the better!*

88 Turbo Coupe
10-08-2006, 10:36 AM
I was palnning on registering on Saturday morning and see what happens. I don't think the quad riders should give me a hassle unless I'm up front. My only worry would be if I'm not fast enough that day, A quad can ram me with his bumper (if he's a DB) and that might send me flying or he might get stuvk under my frame.

Billy Golightly
10-08-2006, 12:25 PM
What kind of race are you going to do? I agree with Derrick, if its close show up money in hand and see what they say. If its a drive, it is best to call and talk to a track owner or manager (And not someone in the concession stand :lol:) about whether you can or cant.

88 Turbo Coupe
10-08-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm registering for the 250cc, 2hr race. There are 2 harescrambles at 2 different tracks both within a half hours drive for me. I was kinda thinkin to register and just show up at the line and see what happens. I'm also going to review the AMA rules and regs and go from there.

TimSr
10-08-2006, 02:24 PM
AMA does not allow trikes in any of its sanctioned events, BUT the track owner/promoter has the option of allowing you to ride. What this means is that the track owner, running an AMA sanctioned event can let you enter and run, but it cannot be in an AMA points paying sanctioned class. If you entered an advanced class, and won the event, your win would not count. The track owner could give you a 1st place trophy if he wished, but the guy who came in behind you would get scored as 1st, and get a 1st place trophy as well. I havnt run AMA in years, but in CRA, some of the beginner classes do not pay points. If you look in the CRA Faircross Series stats, youll see that 3 wheeler class did not get points, because its not a sanctioned class. AMA is a stickler for following their laws to the letter.

I would recommend calling and talking to the track promoter (yes, not a concession stand worker) ahead of time. Tell him you are not interested in chasing sanction points, and that you are just running for fun. Offer to start with the last group so you will not be holding anyone up. I do not recommend registering and then just showing up at the starting line with a trike. The guy who lines people up at the starting area does not have the authority to allow you run, and is simply following the guidelines given to him. He is more likely to turn you away because the issue is not addressed on his rule sheet. I occassionally get questioned at the line by newer race workers, and I sometimes have to drop a few names so they know its been okayed by the big cheese. Talk to the track owner/promoter before you arrive. Do check the AMA rules on safety gear and special equipment required (tether kill switch)

88 Turbo Coupe
10-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Good stuff TimSr. Thanks alot!!

88 Turbo Coupe
10-08-2006, 07:28 PM
AtlanticGrandPrix.com is the sponsor. I called the 217 number and the sponsor answered on a Sunday night. He personally has no problem with my ride. He will check with the AMA tomorrow about this. He also said they have a new insurance carrier. Maybe they have 3 wheelers covered. Any how I told him, TimSr, what you said in your reply. I also emailed Dale (sponsor) stating my wanting to ride. I also will sign insurance waiver to protect ALL parties involved. Lets see what happens.

Derrick Adams
10-08-2006, 07:33 PM
My personal opinion, you just shot yourself in the foot.

BUT... If not, that will certainly open the doors for the rest of us to squeeze into AMA tracks.

88 Turbo Coupe
10-08-2006, 08:27 PM
It's a tough call, I know.

Billy Golightly
10-08-2006, 08:29 PM
http://www.amadirectlink.com/rulebooks/AmateurRules2006.pdf I didn't find anything pointing out "no three-wheelers" in it. Its possible I overlooked it though...

deathman53
10-08-2006, 09:52 PM
atlanitic grand prix doesn't allow trikes, I have asked him 5 times before, the organizer is on r-central.com, I also have called others in managment, they said no also. They said no because the ama doesn't allow it and the race insurance is covered by the ama.

88 Turbo Coupe
10-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Who says the AMA doesn't allow 3 wheelers? Would this be prejuidice if 3 wheelers are not allowed to race by the AMA? If it's an insurance thing I will sign a waiver. What more can I do? I guess people havn't forgotten the decent decree (sp).

nate b
10-09-2006, 10:45 PM
I've tried the waivers around here, most of the big tracks tell me I can go and wipe my ... with it because any good attourny can get around a waiver in court.

88 Turbo Coupe
10-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Is the race promoter obligated to provide each rider a copy of his insurance policy upon request?

88 Turbo Coupe
10-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Spoke with the promoter (ars) and track owner. Got my questions answered. Doin the harescramble tomorrow! Having videos taken too!!

TimSr
10-13-2006, 06:41 PM
Congratulations!!!!!!! Diplomacy works wonders. Is it conditional on any certain terms or details? Wouldnt it be great if out of all those other NJ riders, one or two of them would join you!

Derrick Adams
10-13-2006, 08:05 PM
Congratulations!!!!! Thats a huge step. Keep us informed and be careful.

deathman53
10-13-2006, 08:54 PM
let me know how you got them to let you, I will complete my woods atc250r to compete also.

88 Turbo Coupe
10-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Wow, What a race it was. I was totaly pumped. Couldn't belive I made it to the line! There were only 3 of us out of 77 riders with 2 strokes, a banshee, trx, and a ATC250r. The track is 7 miles through sand, corn fields, gravel, hard pack, mud, and woods. I did 6 laps in 2 hours. Pretty difficult at some areas. 3 riders lost it at the same jump. One was air lifted out. Man I hate to hear stuff like that. I hope he's ok. I got hurt once, bad. The jump was closed after that. The jump approach was deceiving. You can hit it 4th gear but you GOT LAUNCHED and would land on flat ground. Most of the larger jumps had a steap approach and they dropped off on the otherside. I would say about 60 degrees. The drop was approx. between 50 and 70 feet. (I didn't have time to measure). It was steap let me tell ya! When I went over I upshifted and let the back pressure take me down. No throttle needed. The rest of the track was set up really good for the ATC except for the woods. I didn't mind the stumps and roots so much but the quads had chewed deep ruts through alot of the woods. It is virgin ground and soft. Alot of sand in our soils around here. THATS where I had a real problem. I'm used to riding quad trails through the woods but not when the ruts are so deep that my rear skid plate would get hung up almost all the time. This is where I lost alot of time. I mean I felt like not doing the rest of the race. IT REALLY SUCKED BIG TIME. I tried to run my rear tire in one rut and put my front in the other rut and goose the throttle. That always worked pretty good for me when the ruts aren't deep. But the ruts were too deep to get any traction. So I putted through the woods. I have some pics I will post later. All in all if it wasnt for the woods, I would of had alot more fun and been more competitive . It was really great to get 3 wheels back on the track again!!!!!

smokinwrench
10-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Congrats on racing and finishing the race. So are you addicted to racing? I will be on the track next Sunday I can't wait.

Billy Golightly
10-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Awesome, glad to hear you were out there rippin it up with the quads. Thats what its all about. Post pictures and let us know when the next time is :D

Derrick Adams
10-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Good job on your race. Glad you completed it. Sounds like you may need some taller rear tires for the next race. Were you running 20's?
If you decide to run again, i'm sure Deathman will go along with you.

AWESOME JOB!!!

88 Turbo Coupe
10-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Good job on your race. Glad you completed it. Sounds like you may need some taller rear tires for the next race. Were you running 20's?
If you decide to run again, i'm sure Deathman will go along with you.

AWESOME JOB!!!

I was running new 20 inch Maxxis razr's. These ruts were DEEP. I would have NEVER taken my ATC through that trail if it wasn't a race. Thats how bad it was.

88 Turbo Coupe
10-15-2006, 11:13 AM
The pic upload is not working. Anyone out there I can email them to to post?

88 Turbo Coupe
10-15-2006, 11:35 AM
let me know how you got them to let you, I will complete my woods atc250r to compete also.

Made alot of phone calls, spoke to the right people. Explained my interest. I guess it worked! No really what I did was to threaten to shut the race down because there is a endangered spiecies of tree frog on the race track course. LOL. Theres another race in Little Egg Harbor next week. You up for it?

Billy Golightly
10-15-2006, 12:29 PM
you can email em to me and I'll post them: hondaatc@alltel.net

deathman53
10-15-2006, 05:49 PM
maybe, I have my plate full of bikes to work on right now, I really should get it ready for the next race.

88 Turbo Coupe
10-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Congrats on racing and finishing the race. So are you addicted to racing? I will be on the track next Sunday I can't wait.

Of course I'm addicted. I forgot to mention there were 2 straights where on one of them I almost had 6th gear topped out. You know that feeling when the air gets in your helmet and starts to lift it off your head!!!
Freakin fasT

Billy Golightly
10-15-2006, 08:53 PM
:pics:

And man, let me tell you, that guy in the background with the red shirt the expression on his face just tells the whole story. :lol: AWESOME

Derrick Adams
10-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Sweet pics!! Glad to hear your staying with it.

TimSr
10-15-2006, 09:49 PM
My congratulations for entering running and completing an organized event. You are hereby formally certified as a real racer of the non-armchair variety! This gives you automatic license to slap the next guy from your state who says "whaaaa, they wont let 3 wheelers race anywhere!"

Great job, and I hope youll continue, and I really wish you the best of luck in trying to get a few others to join you. You have my complete respect.

Billy Golightly
10-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Moar :pics:! Whoever took these pictures had a camera like sex, man the quality is :drool:

Derrick Adams
10-16-2006, 05:43 AM
Looks like your bike was set up nice too! Just can't beat a 250R on the track. Awesome...

slothminx
10-16-2006, 08:21 AM
Wicked pictures!. You really got out there and stuck in with the quads. :w00t:
You certainly arent an armchair racer now :beer:

Billy Golightly
10-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Man these are great pictures, very nice!

SYKO
10-16-2006, 09:28 AM
man thats awesome!! billy we need to do some of that!! that guy in the red is like WTF?!

ATCWRENCH
10-16-2006, 11:56 AM
the guy in the red probably hasnt seen a three wheeler race in so long he probably feels like a kid again watchin something he use to dream about

88 Turbo Coupe
10-17-2006, 06:32 AM
There were alot of people giving me the thumbs up. There were a couple of "Meteor" people who were stationed just before entering the woods trail. Every time I got there they either waved me on to go faster, thumbs up, and one time they all cheered me on. It felt good! Oh yea, It was funny, the first time they saw me make the corner they were surprised to see a ATC.

deathman53
10-17-2006, 08:55 AM
who did you contact in order to ride a trike in the race, I really would like to ride a trike also, I tried getting ahold of dale and he has yet to get back to me.

88 Turbo Coupe
10-17-2006, 09:19 AM
who did you contact in order to ride a trike in the race, I really would like to ride a trike also, I tried getting ahold of dale and he has yet to get back to me.

Look, Dale doesn't call back when he says he will. I anoyed him enough for him to call me back. I also called the track owner. You GOT TO BE REAL CAREFULl what you say to him. He's a well off business man. If you choose to talk to him DON'T BLOW IT!!!! I did all the ground work to race now. Why do you want to talk to Dale. Like I said DON"T BLOW IT!! I''LL BE REAL F@@@@@N PISSED IF YOU DO.

deathman53
10-17-2006, 12:31 PM
you gonna go to the next event? If you are I'll just go and see what happen.

TimSr
10-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Deathman, My suggestion, since Turbo has already established a good rapport with the right people, is to go through him. Have Turbo call, say "thanks for last time, Id like to do it again, Ive got another guy who is interested under the same terms too if thats okay.....etc."

Im sure you guys know but Ill mention that a personal thanks afterwards is long remembered by track owners.

random-strike
10-17-2006, 08:07 PM
this is totally cool. i would love to do something like this.

i havent heard of anything like this in washington state

88 Turbo Coupe
10-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Deathman, My 300r should be ready by next weekend, is your 250r gunna be ready? I'm not racing my 86 because of the woods issue. The 86 is too big to sling through the tight woods trails. I know I can rip the woods up with my 82. BTW, THE OFFICIAL RESULTS ARE IN!!! I finished third in my class (not bad for puttin through the woods) And 28th overall. Not bad considering there were 0-525cc (Pro Class) 4 strokers racing. I remember on my last lap (man I was beat) this 4 stroker comes flying by me like he was on his first lap. HE WAS FLYIN'. I almost sh@t my pants how fast he was goin. I said to myself "there is no way I would ever catch that guy". I was impressed.

deathman53
10-21-2006, 06:17 PM
I didn't do much on my trikes lately, 86 200x should be ready for break-in next weekend. I had a quad to fix and another to finish building. I still haven't fixed the frame on my 86 250r, done the small things I have to do on the 85 250r. I also have 2 dirtbikes that need some work too. I have too many toys, this is what happens when they all break/need maintence at the same time. I should have my 86 200x back from a engine build, frame welding and suspension rebuilding, I'll put move the spacers out and use woods tires and front max front tire and run that event.

88 Turbo Coupe
10-21-2006, 07:49 PM
I didn't do much on my trikes lately, 86 200x should be ready for break-in next weekend. I had a quad to fix and another to finish building. I still haven't fixed the frame on my 86 250r, done the small things I have to do on the 85 250r. I also have 2 dirtbikes that need some work too. I have too many toys, this is what happens when they all break/need maintence at the same time. I should have my 86 200x back from a engine build, frame welding and suspension rebuilding, I'll put move the spacers out and use woods tires and front max front tire and run that event.
If you want to go to the race with me next week let me know.

ausatc70
10-22-2006, 07:50 PM
outstanding stuff! love the look on that guys face! especially when hes got hold of the guy next to him lmfao!!!!!

88 Turbo Coupe
10-27-2006, 10:54 AM
No race tomorrow. Weatherman says 2-3 inches of rain.

deathman53
10-27-2006, 01:04 PM
I wasn't able to show anyway to this one. We are looking at a dog in sunday.