PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know how to wire a car stereo?

Nick_R_23
10-08-2006, 07:31 PM
I have a Sony cd player (yes i know it sucks) in my car, it had the 4 speaker wiring, and the front/rear line out. I was planning on using the line out to go to my amp, and then using the 4 normal speaker jacks from the amp to go to the 4 speakers. My question is, does anybody know how to add subwoofers to this setup? My other car's stereo has a sub out on the back, which is obviously where I would put them in there, but this one doesnt.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

traxxasx
10-08-2006, 08:08 PM
No what you want to do is use the 4 speaker wires from the cd deck to the speakers, and then run the (sub) line out to the amp, which is where you would connect your sub.

ATC-Eric
10-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Your CD player should have plenty of power for your speakers. I second running just the sub from the amp.

traxxasx
10-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Yes for your ordinary car system your cd deck has plenty power for your tweaters. Unless your getting into like 2 15inch subs, or whatever then you arent ganna need to hook your tweaters to an amp. JUst hook it up with the regular wires, hook your sub to your amp, run it on 2 channels, brigde the channels so its both channels going into 1. On your amp it will say bridge and have to lines one going to + and the other going to -, hook it up to that and you should be set. How many subs you have 1? 2?

Nick_R_23
10-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Ok, so i can run it directly to my speakers, but the problem is this deck doesnt have a 'sub out' on it, my other one in another car does. Just low level output and the normal speaker wires on this deck.

Nick_R_23
10-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Also the deck is 35w x 4, there are 2 8" subs (100w, 8 ohms) that i got free, and the amp is 255w + 255w -- but it also says on the side 255w x 4. I wanted to throw the subs in there but if i cant then ill just stick them in my other car.

traxxasx
10-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Ok, so i can run it directly to my speakers, but the problem is this deck doesnt have a 'sub out' on it, my other one in another car does. Just low level output and the normal speaker wires.

If it has an output of rca jacks, or phono plugs what ever you want to call them, then use that. All cd decks have an seperate output (for the red/white) round rca jack cables for the amps. If thats all it has then use that, how many subs you got?

traxxasx
10-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Also the deck is 35w x 4, there are 2 8" subs (100w, 8 ohms) that i got free, and the amp is 255w + 255w -- but it also says on the side 255w x 4. I wanted to throw the subs in there but if i cant then ill just stick them in my other car.

Yes go ahead put them in, also the 35x4 for the deck is 35 watts going to 4 speakars(your tweaters) Thats enough. Also your 2 8'' arent going to need much watts, so hook it up normal forget about bridging. I though you were gooing with 12's. So yea just go ahead hoot it up you will be fine.

Nick_R_23
10-08-2006, 08:57 PM
I just have the 2 subs, and 4 speakers in the car. I guess i will wire the speakers with the normal wires from the deck, and that leaves the rca jacks open.

traxxasx
10-08-2006, 08:59 PM
I just have the 2 subs, and 4 speakers in the car. I guess i will wire the speakers with the normal wires from the deck, and that leaves the rca jacks open.

Yes wire you 4 tweaters with the wires from the deck. Then use the ouput of rca jacks and run the jacks to your amp for your subs.

Nick_R_23
10-08-2006, 09:01 PM
So I would use rca jacks to go to the amp, then just wire in the subs from the amp as normal speakers?

traxxasx
10-08-2006, 09:29 PM
So I would use rca jacks to go to the amp, then just wire in the subs from the amp as normal speakers?

Run the "output" from the deck with rca jacks to the "input" in the amp. After that get some speaker wire and from the amp terminals the (+ & - ) run the wires to the subs. Then you should be set. Make sure you ahve the amp on 2 channle and make sure the wires are on the right channles. You should be fine.

Here i drew a quick diagram.