PDA

View Full Version : Battery charging problem?

JourneyMan
04-07-2003, 11:16 PM
I just got a 1981 Kawasaki KZ440LTD off my uncle and it has been sitting for about 9 years under a tarp :-D . The bike only has 8675 miles on it :shock: . He stopped riding it because the battery stopped charging and couldnt figure out what was wrong with it :? so he put it under a tarp for those 9 years. Last year I got it running with a everstart battery :) . It starts up and rides fine, everything works. blinkers, brake lights, headlights. But the battery doesnt charge. Does anyone know what the problem could be :? ? It couldnt by and chance be the voltage regulator could it?

Dan Tenn
04-08-2003, 09:08 AM
I got a freebie like that too, it was a 79 Yamaha 650. Wouldnt charge, took off the plate opposite clutch, and replaced the brushes on the generator. It took less than an hour, and only cost $11. Unfortunately I had to drive two hours to get the part. Call your local Kaw shop, and ask for alternator brushes for your model. Talk to the mechanic at the shop too, they will know if thats a common problem or not and be able to point you in the right direction. It is possible that your voltage regulator is shot also. Check to see if its the alternator by starting the bike, then unhooking the negative battery post. If your lights are on, and bright it is most likely the regulator. If the lights are dim, or off it is most likely your brushes. hope this helps

JourneyMan
04-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Thank you, I will give it a try.