PDA

View Full Version : Late 1980's Polaris 440 sled

Kintore
10-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Guy at work wants to sell one to me for 150 bucks, a 1985-1988 he says. Says it ran last spring blah blah ok shape a bent ski.

Just wondering if they were good?

any pics? I tried google and nothing.

Thanks, and any other pointers for them as well.

Chevy200s
10-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Cool man, that sounds like a pretty decent deal. Now I should say I have never owned a polaris, but I've had a bunch of friends with them, they're pretty similar to the other sleds of that time. It sounds like its an Indy if its late 80's. Do you know if its fan or liquid cooled? I attached a few pics of what I think are similar sleds, a 500 and a 440 I think 91 and 87. If you can get some pics or more info on it that would be cool too.

$150 is not a bad deal for a sled if its all complete, even if its not currently running. Go get some plugs for it, probably BR8ES but I could be wrong, test for spark. If you have spark and compression pour a little bit of gas into a small container (I sometimes use the top of a spray paint can), mix a little bit of 2 stroke oil in there, then pour a little shot down each plug whole and see if you can get it to fire on that. If it runs of that all you have to do is get fuel to the carb. Basically the same as working on your trikes its not too hard.

A few things I would check would be compression, damage to the tunnel, and the condition of the track. If the track is missing pieces, worn out or heavily cracked you will probably have to replace it, and that can be a pain if its your first time doing it.

I wish I could tell you more, but its hard without knowing much about the sled. I dont want to just say stuff that wont help ya out. If you can post some pics that would be great! Good luck and remember, *think snow*:Bounce

*edit: about the bent ski, those arent too hard to replace. I'm pretty sure this sled will have trailing arm IFS (independent front suspension), but still it wont be any harder than working on your Z's.

84honda200s
10-12-2006, 08:47 PM
for 150.00 thats not bad at all. even if its f/c. but a l/c would kick butt. but 85-88 sounds more like a f/c but i am not sure im more into ski-doos.

G-Ram
10-13-2006, 09:32 AM
what is the model of sled, i'm a polaris fanatic and could probably help you out