PDA

View Full Version : Bought a 400EX. Have (some) Problems

cragster
10-14-2006, 10:55 AM
I sold all my trikes and bought an 02 400ex. The plastic has cracks all over. The seat has a very tiny little crack like rip. It has new dunlop tires all the way around on it. It is all stock. The engine ticks quite a bit but i here that it is normall for a 400ex to have a tick to it. Also when the engine is cold, it smokes when you give it gas once its warmed up it doesnt smoke anymore. But i had my dad watch me go down the road and he said that when i pulled a wheelie and ran it hard, that it blew some smoke, is it valves or what???? Also the clutch slips, it sliped when i got it home. I changed the oil to the cheap stuff from walmart and the clutch slipping stpped. Now i have it a little over full on oil and it is slipping again. I had to leave and didnt get a chance to drain a bit out and see if it is alright. Will a new clutch kit solve my problem? Ill get up some pics of it as soon as i can.
Thanks!
Cragster

cragster
10-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Oh and i forgot to mention, i paid $1800 for her. Ill get up some pics when im home

Solid Snake
10-14-2006, 12:48 PM
White smoke can mean valve seals which requires you to remove the cylinder head. If it isn't too bad I wouldn't worry about it, just check your oil often and then if it does get really bad then you'll have no choice but to correct the problem later. Just my two cents.

SpeedBump
10-14-2006, 12:49 PM
The ticking is probably valves. They need adjustment every so often.

The smoke....rings.

As for the clutch slipping...if it is adjusted correctly and it is still slipping....time for new plates.

cragster
10-14-2006, 02:14 PM
Here is pics form his house

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/5125/897uq6.jpg
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/2763/5474db9.jpg
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/9982/jnkjpjpinief1.jpg

It has power which is why i was doubting its the rings. How do i adjust the clutch? ALso does anyone have an online manual i can download for it for now?
I might have the valves adjustied sometime

TravEX
10-14-2006, 11:56 PM
You can do the valve adjustment yourself, it's very easy.

Might be time for valve seals. Some ticking s normal. I don't ride mine very often any more, but everytime I get on it I have to remember the ticking is normal, hehe.

As for the oil, don't worry bout over filling a little bit, it won't hurt it. Use 2 quarts with every change and don't worry about it. It will overflow excess out if needed. Some guys with 440 kits just fill the stock tank up (about 2 1/2 to 3qts) to the brim for additional cooling.

RedRider_AK
10-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Did the 400EX's come stock with such bent handlebars?

TravEX
10-15-2006, 10:18 PM
LOL, I don't think they are that bent stock. I know the stockers are soft, you can lean on them hard and bend em. I had Renthal's on mine about 2 weeks after I bought mone new.

RedRider_AK
10-16-2006, 12:00 AM
LOL, I don't think they are that bent stock. I know the stockers are soft, you can lean on them hard and bend em. I had Renthal's on mine about 2 weeks after I bought mone new.

So that means they're made of 1/32" wall copper tubing??:confused:

TravEX
10-16-2006, 07:57 AM
In his sig it says "Fly bars and Smith grips", they look stock though.

Also, Cragster, in your sig it says geared a little higher. Does it have a 36T on the back? If you want some race cut plastic for the front, give me a ring. They are red, though.

cragster
10-16-2006, 09:45 PM
lol ya. I got the bars installed now lol. And i got my new bearings and stuff but i still gotta install the bearings. I put on a 450r muffler.

Pics Pics Pics :beer :beer :pics: :pics: :pics:

cragster
10-16-2006, 09:48 PM
:beer :beer
Some more pics!!!!!

xljimmy
10-17-2006, 09:07 PM
I bought a new 400ex in 2000. I still kick myself for selling it. Your ticking could be spark knock. I had to run premium in mine or it would. If not the vavle adjustment is easy and I think it said the vavle lash on the frame by the front bumper. Had to take the tank off to do it but other then that it was easy. Mine never ticked so dont know about it being a 400ex thing. The smoke thing might be valves seals leaking from sitting and then burnes out when warm???

Have fun with it.

ride_red_95
10-22-2006, 01:47 AM
not bad for 1800