PDA

View Full Version : utility trailer gate

longbedGTs
10-17-2006, 07:15 PM
I just bought a little trailer and Im trying to figure out how to secure the rear gate. The PO used a tie down strap to hold it shut, but Id like to get some type of latch on each side. For the life of me, I cant think of anything here! :idea:
Any ideas on this?
The attached picture is the best I have, showing the type of gate on this trailer. Thanks!

SYKO
10-17-2006, 10:09 PM
hey but head bring it over tomorow after noon I'll fix that little puppy right up!

Banage
10-19-2006, 05:16 PM
I would put a chain on the trailer, one on each side, and a latch on the end, and a eye hook on both sides of the gate, lift it up and put the latch through the eye hook. Presto.

longbedGTs
10-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I see what youre saying. I thought something like that wouldnt provide a very tight fit. Hmmm, Ill hit the Hardware store to see what type of rig I could use. I like the eye hook idea. Thanks!

ScottZJ
10-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Drill a hole in the ramp and somewhere on the main part of the trailer, where they meet. Then use the pins and cotter pins like on the removal hitches. Just pull the pin on each and down it goes.

Banage
10-20-2006, 10:30 AM
thats a good one too scott

farmerc
10-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Something like a piano hinge. All you need is a piece of pipe,cut into three pieces weld two on one side and one on the other side and a piece of rod to go down threw it on both sides real easy to open and very secure.

Mosh
10-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Even after adding latches,I use a ratchet strap to tighten the gate down,otherwise they rattle like crazy goin down the road.