PDA

View Full Version : Lookin at some trucks...

Russell 350X
10-17-2006, 10:49 PM
OK, As of now I'm in Parma, OH, in Cleveland. I want to get a small pickup(S-10, Ranger) before TF07. I am aiming toward a 5speed, 2wd, seeing as they are cheaper, and better on gas. Would like it to be in the 90's.What do you people think would be the best truck of that size class to own in city, rushhour driving??

85hondaatc125m
10-17-2006, 11:04 PM
I think the Ford Ranger, any year, very good solid and reliable trucks that are easy on gas would be great little 1/4 tonne truck. The s-10's arent bad but I was didnt like there engine choices, a 2.8 which is little and doesnt have alot of power, or a 4.3 wich is hard on gas I hear and not very fast. The dakota's not a bad truck but they are pretty heavy, If you have a 1992 or newer 3.9L magnum V6 I hear they have good power and are good on gas. Just my .02

MTS
10-17-2006, 11:13 PM
i have a 91 Ranger Xlt ext cab, with a 3.0 v6 5 speed 2wd, 370 thousand km on it, It's a decent mid-sized truck, its not Overly powerful, but it gets the Job done and gets me though the city pretty Quick.....Not to hard on gas....mine gets bout 500-600km to a tank....with a old raged out motor.....

ATC crazy
10-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Doesnt OH get a lot of snow? If so, I would be looking for a 4WD. My friend has a 4x4 Ranger with the 3.0 V6 in it. He is very happy with it. It gets good gas mileage, and does just fine towing his ATV's around...

max
10-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Kintore just did a huge thread on this. Either ask him what is best or look up his thread.

Kintore
10-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Yah, I came to the conclusion of a chevy 1500 with a 5speed. I found at a 98 with a 4.3, V6, 50 thousand miles, mint body and 5 speed for 5000 CAD.

Or a dodge 318, make sure you get the stick version cause all I hear is the autos are weak ass trannys.

Heres my thread-
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=57885

BigGreenMachine
10-18-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm going to pick up my bros 03 F350 Super Duty crew next year, 6.8 V-10 gas! He hasn't had a problem with it since new.

Dirtcrasher
10-18-2006, 07:48 PM
If your gonna pull something get a real truck with an 8 Cylinder. If you want a great truck that lasts and takes alot of abuse buy a 4cylinder Toyota. I love all the foreign Toyotas that I've owned. I have beat and abused them sooo bad. The way they shift, sound, feel and drive just seem superior to American made vehicles. My Toy with a V6 and 33" BFG's AT's has outclimbed numerous bigblock American made trucks with 38" tires and I've never lost a driveshaft but have seen theres flopping around from the HP. Only drawback is the bodies which seem to last about 6 years from new and then degrade pretty quickly. There are Ford, Chevy and Dodge guys that love their trucks but I simply won't ever buy anything but a Yota - unless I need to tow something. You seem to be talking more 2wd than 4wd but so you should weigh out all the options. Best thing to do is test drive a few and see what seems to feel right in the way it shifts, turns, brakes, sounds and if looks are important to you - than look at that too. I'm also referring to how the heater knobs and other interior goodies are layed out, American made trucks are alot better now but I think the layout in alot of expensive trucks stinks, it has to feel smooth and right to you while driving.

ATC-Eric
10-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Dirtcrashers got a great point!!!!

I owned an 84 4cly 2wd yota a while back, had over 200,000 on it, and ran like a champ! Was good on gas, and a lot of fun to drive. May have had a 4 banger in it, but I never had a problem cruizen down the highway at 75 MPH with or without bikes in the back. Thats right I used to role with two bikes in it! A 250sx, and a 200s will fit perfectly in the back.

It is also correct about the body. Previous owner of mine did "body work" to it, which consisted of bondo on top of duct tape! So it wasnt a looker, but you can bet that no one EVER messed with me in traffic.

I would suggest a 4X4 Toyota truck, with a 6cly if your going to pull a trailer, or a 4 banger if your not.

Good luck

IrvSLedman
10-18-2006, 10:48 PM
well as hondatc185s200e knows i own both the 2.8 s-10 and the 4.3 1500, the 2.8 5 speed is far from under powered, he drove it. i mean yeah he aint gonna pull no 14 foot trailer on a windy day, but throwing a trike in the back is no issue. and it gets like 29mpg highway... thats damn good, and my 4.3 is not gutless either. and it DEFF out ran a magnum 360 in about 3 foot of snow in 2WD, it has 4wd but i kicked the *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* outta that dodge in 4wd. and iv not yet tried to pull anything that it cant yet, not that im hooking up to some huge round ball wagon or anything. but it could be better on gas. dont buy a ranger.. the 3.0 wastes to much gas tring to haul the truck around, kids at college always complain about that . but i guess the 4.0 is decent.. if you want to drive a ford that is..:lol:

ATC crazy
10-19-2006, 09:30 AM
and my 4.3 is not gutless either. and it DEFF out ran a magnum 360 in about 3 foot of snow in 2WD, it has 4wd but i kicked the *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* outta that dodge in 4wd.

Yeah...suuure ya did :lol: :crazy:

My friend has the 5.9L magnum, and it will easily outrun the slow.3 errrr....I meant the 4.3 ;) Not to mention neither vehicle would even move in 3 feet of snow.

400exguy
10-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Haha I love how every thread turns into a pissing contest. I once tried to take our 83 dodge ram inline 6 4x4 through a 3 foot drift...sounded and felt like I hit a brick wall! It was funny but then I had a hell of a time getting backed out of where I was.

Somekindofjerk
10-19-2006, 11:42 AM
I like my 4.3 but a manual toyota would be sweet crusty. Good millage, huge tires, decent power, small as hell, and cheap. I would go for a toyota.

IrvSLedman
10-19-2006, 02:19 PM

My friend has the 5.9L magnum, and it will easily outrun the slow.3 errrr....I meant the 4.3 ;) Not to mention neither vehicle would even move in 3 feet of snow.

Right.. and some guy from Va is gonna tell me about snow what do you get there 6-8 inches all year?.. wow.. well since there were 5 people there to witness it hondaatc185s200e being one of them AS well as yurlossismygain on and BTW it wasnt hardpacked with a nice little plowed drive way that leads into the field.. if you know what the difference is .. well i guess you can think what ever you want..but hey, why dont you bring your friends 5.9 up and well just see how it goes.. lmao cant move in 3 feet of snow must be your a ford owner whos never seen that much snow... what an idiot.

random-strike
10-19-2006, 02:52 PM
toyotas are garbage.

the 22r is a paperweight. they are gutless, they sound like *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*, they use a lot of gas.

22r is one of the worst sounding motors of all time, right next to the b16 honda motor.

put bigger tires on the toyota without radical gear change and it'll be a huge noise maker that doesnt move and gets smoked by 3 cylinder geo metros.

random-strike
10-19-2006, 02:56 PM
it depends which truck the 360 is in. if its in a huge full sized truck, then a s10 or a blazer with a 4.3 will *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* on it. if its a dakota r/t with the 360 then the dakota will surely win.

4.3 powered s10s and blazers are not turds. hell the minivans with the 4.3 arent either!

Russell 350X
10-19-2006, 03:11 PM

Hey dude, I WAS THERE! I rode in the Dodge that day, that thing sucked so much in the snow, 4WD and it still sucked. The 4.3 was in 2WD and totaly kicking ass, going much better than that POS Dodge. That GMC was doing so much better than that mopar. There ya go.

ATC crazy
10-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Right.. and some guy from Va is gonna tell me about snow what do you get there 6-8 inches all year?.. wow.. well since there were 5 people there to witness it hondaatc185s200e being one of them AS well as yurlossismygain on and BTW it wasnt hardpacked with a nice little plowed drive way that leads into the field.. if you know what the difference is .. well i guess you can think what ever you want..but hey, why dont you bring your friends 5.9 up and well just see how it goes.. lmao cant move in 3 feet of snow must be your a ford owner whos never seen that much snow... what an idiot.

Oh, Im so sorry I didnt give you every single detail... :rolleyes:

I spend my winters in upstate NY with my family. A couple of years ago, they got 29" of fresh POWDER (it was 12*F), and the only thing out were snowmobiles, plows, and a few lifted trucks with at least 35" mud tires. The roads obviously had less than 29" of snow on it. My grandparents live on a seasonal dirt road (ie. They dont plow it), and 3 people tried to drive out. Needless to say...no one made it.

Show me some pictures, or better yet videos, of a stock truck driving through 3 feet of snow... :banned:

ATC crazy
10-19-2006, 08:36 PM
it depends which truck the 360 is in. if its in a huge full sized truck, then a s10 or a blazer with a 4.3 will *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* on it. if its a dakota r/t with the 360 then the dakota will surely win.

4.3 powered s10s and blazers are not turds. hell the minivans with the 4.3 arent either!

It's a Ram 1500. Another friend of mine has a Blazer with the 4.3 vortech in it, and it will not keep up with the Ram...

http://myspace-864.vo.llnwd.net/01014/46/83/1014223864_l.jpg

Somekindofjerk
10-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Pee-wees truck is allso a half ton with 3/4 ton shocks and bigger tires than its made for with a true straight pipe that gets its ass beat by anything with two or more tires and a motor

IrvSLedman
10-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Oh, Im so sorry I didnt give you every single detail... :rolleyes:

I spend my winters in upstate NY with my family. A couple of years ago, they got 29" of fresh POWDER (it was 12*F), and the only thing out were snowmobiles, plows, and a few lifted trucks with at least 35" mud tires. The roads obviously had less than 29" of snow on it. My grandparents live on a seasonal dirt road (ie. They dont plow it), and 3 people tried to drive out. Needless to say...no one made it.

Show me some pictures, or better yet videos, of a stock truck driving through 3 feet of snow... :banned:

Lmao okay, well since i only have lived there my whole life.. what do I know.. 29'' once.. well, talk to me when theres 6 foot its in the anywhere between - 3 and -13*f with a wind chill of like -30 and you cant get out of your house. that deff happened once on my birthday Oct 8th. power was out for like a week or somthing idk. But i wasnt driving in that. lol, and that day with dodge.. well we wernt on a road, it was in a field. and im sorry i dont carry a camera with me everywhere to have photo evidence.. I guess its because I dont live in some world where I have to deal with people who dont know what their talking about.. Lol well it is too bad you dont believe me because it is one bad ass TRUE story, with real a few ppl watching. but i guess there in on this Lie also, because i mean come on, who doesnt lie to strangers to get off?!?!?!? Well any ways dont believe me if you wish but hey were gonna have snow in what.. a week or two probably? So ill tell you what, I will try to remember extra hard to bring a camera of some sort and get some sort of evidence.. but you'll probably tell me I photo shopped them or somthing..:rolleyes: well then, untill then. enjoy living your fantasy world.

Oh and P.S. no hard feelins, just dont like getting B.S called when its deff not... bs

Russell 350X
10-19-2006, 10:16 PM
O boy.. this looks ugly.

Somekindofjerk
10-19-2006, 10:23 PM
http://www.truckworld.com/4x4-OffRoad/Thumper-Toyota/thump-2-1.jpg