PDA

View Full Version : starting the 500r project...more pics added 11-23

3leggeddog
10-18-2006, 08:58 PM
well it's time we finally got this beast going.i would like any,and all comments,and concerns from those who have done a 250r chassis based 500r,or 500 conversion.

any pics. of you frames,carb setups,motor mounts,chain alingment issues,custom pipes,any of that stuff would be sweet.i hope to start on the frame this weekend.hopefully have the big bore in her home by next week.still need alot of small misc. chassis parts,so check my classifeds ad.if you have anything i need,please contact me.

if you don't want to share pics. with the whole forum,please pm,or email me.i don't want to do this all by trial and error when it's been done a few times already.please help me out guys.thanks!

just a couple pics.she's a rag right now,but it'll get shined up,and blinged out eventually.http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/500r006.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/500r005.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/500r001.jpg

jason 32
10-18-2006, 09:05 PM
take your time and it will be a awsome project!!!!

200x Basket
10-18-2006, 10:38 PM
it is a tight fit. you will have to heat and dimple the frame or replace the lower section. i removed the two back braces and dimpled the frame. i then welded a 1/8" skid plate on the bottom for strength. it is not an easy task so take your time. you will need a welder and torch.

200x Basket
10-18-2006, 10:39 PM
and read my post on .org in the pics section.

200x Basket
10-18-2006, 10:46 PM
http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthread.php?t=22810&highlight=500r

Louis Mielke
10-18-2006, 11:42 PM
Keep it low man, is all I have to say. lol.
Thats what I'm working on now is getting my monster closer to the ground.

Aussieduner
10-19-2006, 04:31 AM
well it's time we finally got this beast going.i would like any,and all comments,and concerns from those who have done a 250r chassis based 500r,or 500 conversion.

any pics. of you frames,carb setups,motor mounts,chain alingment issues,custom pipes,any of that stuff would be sweet.i hope to start on the frame this weekend.hopefully have the big bore in her home by next week.still need alot of small misc. chassis parts,so check my classifeds ad.if you have anything i need,please contact me.

if you don't want to share pics. with the whole forum,please pm,or email me.i don't want to do this all by trial and error when it's been done a few times already.please help me out guys.thanks!

And maybe some 500r decals for the finishing touch B...keep an eye out for the postman :naughty:

Aussie

BigGreenMachine
10-19-2006, 12:58 PM
IMO, you should change the lower frame rails instead of dimpling them. Would look cleaner and be stronger because I see you being hard on your stuff.

max
10-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Dude, dont do it.

1. It'll make me very jealous
2. I wont be able to keep up on the hills.
3. Now that you have the power, there is
no excuse not to do it or try it. You might
get hurt!!:drool:

:beer

Awww F it. Give me a couple frosty ones, set the nutz on the front fender, Ill be right behind you bra.:naughty: :drool:
500R Climber.....Here we go!!:twisted:

3leggeddog
10-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Dude, dont do it.

1. It'll make me very jealous
2. I wont be able to keep up on the hills.
3. Now that you have the power, there is
no excuse not to do it or try it. You might
get hurt!!:drool:

:beer

Awww F it. Give me a couple frosty ones, set the nutz on the front fender, Ill be right behind you bra.:naughty: :drool:
500R Climber.....Here we go!!:twisted:

excatly my postion max.set the brass bag on the tank and clang,clang.i gotta build something to keep up with you.i still haven't climbed scareface,and that makes me jealuos,lol.

it'll be a fun hill climber.plus i've been talkin about building one for what....8 months now.time to sack up.how do you think she'll handle with a stock swinger:cool: :wondering ,gonna be nutty!!

Dusty
10-19-2006, 06:04 PM
all you guys are just full of your selves.....max, brandon..you dont have brass balls you only have a fleshy patch where they used to be.....lol.....just j/k sounds great.........

atctim
10-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Looking forward to seeing this Brandon. BTW - once it's built, I may take out a personal life insurance policy on you - LOL. Keep us posted - and write a book on how you do it, cause someday I'd love to build one.

3leggeddog
10-19-2006, 09:21 PM
i want it built already!!i am so stoked.it wil be a few weeks before she rolls,but you guys will be ther every step of the way!!

200x Basket
10-19-2006, 09:29 PM
with a stock swinger it will be a DEATH trap. the 6" swinger i have is about 4" too short. in 4th you still cant pin it. have you ever rode a cr500? it is a beast to say the least. lots of fun :)

3leggeddog
10-19-2006, 09:34 PM
yeah i have rode lots of em.don't really know what all the fuss is about.jeff has a nice 97 i love toolin around on.just a 2 wheeled tractor to me.lots of tourqe,and plenty of power.i think i'll be just fine on a stock swinger.besides,i don't want something i have to run wide open to climb hills.i figure this way i can just baby it around,and unleash it when nessicary.i am sure it gets alot more traction as a 3 wheeler,and thats why they are so crazy.we'll see what happens

Billy Golightly
10-19-2006, 09:41 PM
the stock CR swinger is fine but the ATC one isn't. Its about 6 inches shorter then a CR one.

3leggeddog
10-19-2006, 09:52 PM
well i want the handling of the 250r.this will be my daily trail bike.so a huge,oversized,cali style swinger is outta the question.i gotta be able to turn the thing.i may go as big as a +3 over the stock atc swinger,but thats it.anything else looks goofy,and really affects the handling.in dirt bike form,the cr 500 is just another bike to me.yeah,they are beefy,but no means uncontrolable.

maybe when it's a trike,and there is 20 inches of tire touching the ground,instead of 4 inches,i'll sing another tune.but untill i ride her i dunno.never been on a cr500 trike.but my goal is to make this look like a stock 250r,and ride like one,well execpt for the power,lol.time will tell

max
10-20-2006, 09:17 AM
You have rode my 2 plus. Ive even raced it a few times. Doesnt affect handling any different to me. I would go 3 plus. The extra 1 inch will hardly be noticed. Plus, dude...... its a hill climber!! DUH!!:drool:

Derrick Adams
10-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Personally I would go +4 on the swinger with an adjustable lowering link. Todd has a +3 and still has no problems turning it. Plus you'll have more than enough power to pitch the rear anywhere you want it!

200xcellent
10-20-2006, 10:47 AM
i would say find a balance between rear tire choice and swingarm lenth, everything can be balanced out with the right combination.

max
10-20-2006, 11:07 AM
i would say find a balance between rear tire choice and swingarm lenth, everything can be balanced out with the right combination.

Balance is the key. If you balance, it will come!!! C loc, your so calm and peaceful. Preach it brother

3leggeddog
10-20-2006, 05:30 PM
you guys are too funny.i'm gonna run the stock length swinger for awhile.i'll be running the 20inch kenda klaws on the rear,and a trail wolf up front.i konw eventually i will extend the swinger,but not right away.

what about gearing?what sprockts should we run on the rear?

200xcellent
10-20-2006, 05:31 PM
i would run a 12 or 13 front, and about a 40 on the rear. 12/40 is the rappy's gearing and it seams to be pretty torquey

3leggeddog
10-20-2006, 05:35 PM
thats a good place to start,since i already have those sprockets,lol.

3leggeddog
10-24-2006, 08:08 PM
well shes a rolling chassis.gonna drop it off to mr hall for the rest of the conversion.he does such nice work,and is a little more patient then me.plus he's like a mad scientist when it come to custom chit.i have no worries that this thing will be strong,and durable for the beatin i will give it.jason's gonna crack the motor open,and do a little pokin,or rather portin,around in there.should be sweet.

i set the motor in the frame,stepped back,and wow.thats a monster in there.i think i'm gonna run a yz250f kicker.they look like they will work real good.well,i can't wait for this thing to be done.i will update this thread as soon as she's back.

firefirefire90
10-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Dude, dont run the gearing that he said. What works for a rappy wont work on a 500. Go by the gearing like when you had the CR motor in the trike frame(which im still havin trouble with). The sprockets will be wierd because of all the internal gearing for the bike wheel/tire. Unless your going to be running 22" tyres, or whatever size the 500 tire is, forever... I suggest that you ask some of the 500 guru's on this board. What gearing did you run on the CR? I'm guessing you did it for more bottom end on the track? You going to lower it and put inverts on the front?

200x Basket
10-25-2006, 01:09 AM
i would look at my kicker set up. the YZ kicker is way short. it will work if you get the decompression set up.

Louis Mielke
10-25-2006, 07:05 AM
Service Honda also has a new stator and digital CDI setup out thats suppose to make the 500s a million times easier to start. I've been asking around and I'm about 97% sure it will fit the older 80s engines just fine.

200x Basket
10-25-2006, 01:00 PM
that is good news. i will look into it.

Louis Mielke
10-25-2006, 01:04 PM
on a side note, and the mods will probably kick me for this, but check out loopy louie's latest classifieds post for some 500 parts. :shamelessplug:

mods don't kill me please!!

3leggeddog
10-25-2006, 09:08 PM
louis,you usin that blaster kicker i sold to you?do you have trouble kickin your 5 with it?

Louis Mielke
10-26-2006, 12:02 AM
blaster kicker has been working great! The only issue is its still just a hair long. I hafta set the heal of my boot on the flag part then kick. Basically I hafta be careful were I put my foot or the backside of my heal hits the fenders.

As far as enough kicker to start it, yeah its more than enough with the decompress. Now I've only started it like twice without the decompress. Thats a little more of a pain but totally doable.

After I look into this SH updated ignition setup I may try to go to a banshee kicker if its true that the new digital ignition makes these mills easier to start.

Man I already have about another grand worth of stuff I wanna do to my 5. The inverted KTM forks are the project of the week. Got someone working on the tripples and as soon as I get home next week (im out of town for work) I'm sending my inverts to Moto Pro to get them setup for my fat but and the 500s extra wieht. man i need to loose 40lbs.

I've often thought my extra weight is somewhat of an advantage though. I never really understand why people have suck trouble starting 350xs. I've started everyone's I've ridden as easy as my 250r.

IrvSLedman
10-26-2006, 12:26 AM
whew, these 500r's are just starting to come outta the wood work, i would love to build one, but being a college student, low and money and time, mabe after Im done 08' unless I find an R and CR500 in the area.. the X is just a little lacking on speed, and i have rode both the T3 and R's both faster than the X, yes but not fast enough.. lol and I cant really afford a new quad all at once. plus one too many wheels.. Well Good luck man. hope ya enjoy er'.

Aussieduner
10-26-2006, 12:32 AM
Hey B any mail yet ?

Aussie

3leggeddog
10-26-2006, 06:17 AM
not yet tony

Louis Mielke
10-26-2006, 06:47 AM
Man you've got me all excited again. I wish I was home so I could be working on mine! Can't wait to run around the MX track at haspin. Last year it didn't handle too bad, just so godawful tall I had to over compensate in the corners. This year will be different though. All new height, all new rake, inverted forks, front suspension to suit me. GAWD I'm excited. I can't wait to see how much better those 20" knarlys slide. The warrior ties I had on there were terrible! I don't know what I was thinking other than I was out of time and out of money.

Gawd I'm stoaked! AGAIN!. lol I'm in love with the arm ripping torque. Its like a freakin drug! I need my fix. The poor 250 is just so wimpy.

Jason Hall
11-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Well she's on the right road old buddy. Your lower frame tubes were squashed flat on the bottom. Can't figure out how that could have happened :D. I'll get some 1" tubing on monday & rebuild the lower frame sector. The swinger bushings are made & the chain Is lined up sweet. I can't believe It, but the stock top 250 motor mount bolted right on with no modding. It also put the exhaust port In the perfect spot for the pipe to fit. The origional bike lower frame was Hit also or I would have used that.

hrc85250r
11-11-2006, 11:52 PM
if i could get a motor i would build a drag chassis specifically for racing. cant really find them around here and i cant trust ebay, lol already learned that lesson with motors....

that 250 pipe will not work with that motor, it will kill the power....

3leggeddog
11-12-2006, 12:35 AM
pretty sure thats a 500 front section with just the rear frame section of a dg 250r pipe.and if it does kill a little power,who cares!!!it's a 500 for christ sakes that i will trail ride,with a stock 250r swing arm.if it's weak,guess what,back to jason for some port work,and a new pipe,alot of option there.if anybody knows about port timing,expannsion chamber design,and overall motor building,i think mr. hall is it,.......but thanks for your concern!!

looks great jason.sorry it's a bit more work then we thought.you know i'll make it up too ya!!

Jason Hall
11-12-2006, 11:30 AM
hrc250r, He just wants to get the motor In It & get It running. I'm sure the pipe will hinder power lot's. A little at a time & 3leggeddog will fine tune Er.

hrc250r, If you build a 500 just to Drag Race use the stock 500 frame. Lost easier. It's pretty awesome to build one like this. You can bolt on all stock plactic & seat. Just think your everyday Joe will have no Idea It's a 500. Talk about the ultimate sleeper. I would'nt mind building a 250/500 just to take to the dunes. (With about a +4 swinger) & just roost people with modded 450's. Especially them Yamaha's HE HE :beer

gasmask34
11-12-2006, 12:53 PM
hrc250r, He just wants to get the motor In It & get It running. I'm sure the pipe will hinder power lot's. A little at a time & 3leggeddog will fine tune Er.

hrc250r, If you build a 500 just to Drag Race use the stock 500 frame. Lost easier. It's pretty awesome to build one like this. You can bolt on all stock plactic & seat. Just think your everyday Joe will have no Idea It's a 500. Talk about the ultimate sleeper. I would'nt mind building a 250/500 just to take to the dunes. (With about a +4 swinger) & just roost people with modded 450's. Especially them Yamaha's HE HE :beer
when i first started building mine i had a 250r pipe and modified the flange to accept the cr 500 flange. when riding the bike 1 gear was good but the rest sucked because of the pipe. it will not let the motor breath. once i modified the stock cr 500 pipe it was like night and day. that's when i broke my neck in 2 places and 1 bone in my spine. go to 3wheeler.org and look for "finally made a pipe". it tells the hole story...gasmask2008 or gasmask34 users name...

200x Basket
11-12-2006, 06:42 PM
looking great!!!!!! for the rear section of the pipe you can get a mandrel bent 180* bend and put the 500 silencer on it.

3leggeddog
11-12-2006, 08:53 PM
yeap,a little at a time.i don't need it to make 60 horse,although that'd be sweet.i just want a good tourqy,lugger for hills,and trails.i'm sure we will get it figured out one way or another.

so do you think she'll be done by next weekend?did you set my other part out so i don't forget it again!!,lol.

everything looks great to me so far jason.sorry we had to cut the frame all apart,who would've know that 250r frame would be smashed flat on the bottom,lol.i have no idea how that would happen.

Louis Mielke
11-12-2006, 10:44 PM
Man I wish I could make the quick progress that everyone else seems to be able to do. I guess I'm just too poor. lol

Jason Hall
11-13-2006, 06:35 AM
Come on now Louis we know your loaded. Your 500 progress Is lookin awesome. I made a deal with 3leggeddog for his 85 gas tank so I can re-do my sub frame & put some rear fender's on my 500. As soon as I get B's 500 done I need to get started on my cr60 engine In a streched out zinger project, I can't wait.

3leggeddog, yes I will have It done by this next weekend. Yours Is on the top of the list. I wanna get that 350x from D so I guess I need to swap some R part's. Also I will put the clutch part on my tool box so we don't forget again DUH.

Louis Mielke
11-13-2006, 08:20 AM
HAHA LOADED! Yeah thats funny, maybe loaded with debt I shouldn't really have at the ripe young age of 24. I spend it then spend a month or two paying it off. lol. Sad part is I really am trying to save for a house too.

You do know I rolled into TF with my bikes stacked up in the back of a beat to hell toyota mini-pickup right? Far from loaded.

Man this bike looks wicked. 3legged don't mind the nay sayers on the stock length arm. I think it will be fine, just carbo load before each race so you have the extra weight to hold it down. Gawd I love the torgue of these engines. I really wish mine was back together now. At this point though I probably won't get to ride it again untill spring. blah.

PWK39
11-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Well she's on the right road old buddy. Your lower frame tubes were squashed flat on the bottom. Can't figure out how that could have happened :D. I'll get some 1" tubing on monday & rebuild the lower frame sector. The swinger bushings are made & the chain Is lined up sweet. I can't believe It, but the stock top 250 motor mount bolted right on with no modding. It also put the exhaust port In the perfect spot for the pipe to fit. The origional bike lower frame was Hit also or I would have used that.

May I ask what kind of tubing you are using?4130 chromoly or regular dom steel.Im not sure what honda used but it is very thin.I think I will tig mine
I'm afraid the mig will burn through.If you can let me know how this works out for you thanks.:)

Jason Hall
11-13-2006, 03:42 PM
If I used chromemoly we would have to rob Louis's house saving's lol. I think some nice think regular steel with do just fine. I've found If you use some thicker material you can concentrate the heat on the thick stuff & not burn through. I will let you know how It turn's out.

3leggeddog
11-14-2006, 12:32 AM
well not tryin to hurry ya jason,just curious.i guess between the tank,and shrouds,the hotel room,and just being your frined,which is a bonus for you,lol,we are even!?we'll work it out,you know that.

can't wait to get it home though.i gotta break it down for paint.then swap all the plastics,and stuff.

thanks jason,give me a ring sometime this week

Derrick Adams
11-17-2006, 03:47 PM
bump for an update

Jason Hall
11-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Made some good progress last night & today. Here are the latest Pic's. I'm welding the lower skid plate on now. Have to make the 2 lower mount's Then she Is done. I bet I had this motor In & out 15 times.

Derrick I should have the part's changed also, so both can be picked up sunday.

Derrick Adams
11-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Sounds great! We'll be up Sunday morning. Looks like the 500 is going to work out good.

3leggeddog
11-17-2006, 06:14 PM
yeah,looks real good.that pipe bender is sweet huh!!some paint,and some polish and the thing outta be rideable.nice work as always jason,thanks!!

Aussieduner
11-17-2006, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=Jason Hall]Made some good progress last night & today. Here are the latest Pic's. I'm welding the lower skid plate on now. Have to make the 2 lower mount's Then she Is done. I bet I had this motor In & out 15 times.

Awesome work Jason your very talented.

Aussie

fyi
11-17-2006, 06:33 PM

just a couple pics.she's a rag right now,but it'll get shined up,and blinged out eventually.http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/500r006.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/500r005.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/500r001.jpg

It's good to see that you're using a CR500cc based engine, instead of trying to adapt the Sabertooth 500cc conversion onto the 250R bottom end like I did.... The engine runs flawlessly and makes exceptional power everywhere, but after three broken transmissions in the 250R bottom end- even after every single strengthening fortification was done to it, it just wouldn't hold up to the torque of the 500cc conversion.

I got disgusted with it and put it in the corner for now, plus I spent sooo much money on that machine sorting through that issue, I could have built 2 complete, dune ready CR500cc-based trikes by now with ease!!

BTW- Take the other guys' advice here about having a longer swingarm... The first 4 gears of this thing can't be taken to full throttle without *massive* wheel spin or the front wheel trying to climb to the sky- even at part throttle!!! It's was a real handful with that much power- even for experienced riders.

My 2 pennies for what it's worth.. :)

-john

3leggeddog
11-17-2006, 06:40 PM
thanks for the advice.still stickin with a stock swinger for now though.my goal is to leave it stock for awhile,but who knows.i just wanna ride it with the stock swinger for awhile.i gotta see what all the hype is about you know.i've never rode anything that scared me.so i'm building this beast if for nothing else,but to scare the sh!t outta myself a few times before admitting that it's meaner then me,and needs a extension!!,lol.

Louis Mielke
11-17-2006, 06:46 PM
DOnt neeed no freakin extension!!! size doesn't matter, its how you use what you got....oh wait you mean the swingarm...mybad...

DeePa
11-17-2006, 06:53 PM
hey louis, whenever i read youre posts, i remember at that old coal pit where you thought there was a landing at the top of the small hill climb back to the trail...

you were pretty damn lucky there man...

brandon lookin good...

mike

fyi
11-17-2006, 06:53 PM
thanks for the advice.still stickin with a stock swinger for now though.my goal is to leave it stock for awhile,but who knows.i just wanna ride it with the stock swinger for awhile.i gotta see what all the hype is about you know.i've never rode anything that scared me.so i'm building this beast if for nothing else,but to scare the sh!t outta myself a few times before admitting that it's meaner then me,and needs a extension!!,lol.
The pull a built 500cc engine produces is just stupid and the first few times you really open it up, you'll be saying to yourself...."this is just nuts"! I know I did- until the damn trans broke again.......:mad:

3leggeddog
11-17-2006, 06:56 PM
i remeber reading about your misfortune.i hope you get it straightened out!!

Louis Mielke
11-17-2006, 07:09 PM
hey louis, whenever i read youre posts, i remember at that old coal pit where you thought there was a landing at the top of the small hill climb back to the trail...

you were pretty damn lucky there man...

brandon lookin good...

mike

LUCK!?? It twas not luck, that was all skill!!! lol. Dont worry it'll grow back!

fyi
11-17-2006, 07:51 PM
i remeber reading about your misfortune.i hope you get it straightened out!!
Thanks and realistically, I'll probably remove that engine from the chassis entirely and start over when I get over my disgust with the thing... I think I'll put a CR500cc bottom end in the chassis (built of course) and hopefully, I can use all this Sabertooth stuff on the motorcycle bottom end. I'd hate to not be able to use any of those trick parts I've already purchased. :(

BTW- I'm looking for a good running, CR500cc engine now...:D

Good luck on your project, as it looks pretty cool!:beer

-john

Yamahondaman
11-17-2006, 08:15 PM
Dont worry it'll grow back!
Yeah ... Like that guy's Head in Men In Black ........ :beer

Jason Hall
11-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Well A couple more Pic's. She Is done. I tightened all the motor mount's & mounted the CDI & coil. Thanks for the compliment's Aussie & other's.

Yamahondaman
11-17-2006, 09:16 PM
i think you need a NEW Name Like ...........
............. JASON'S ALL FAB...............
I or "WE" can do ANYTHING !!!!! :beer
L@@K'S GOOD !!!

200x Basket
11-17-2006, 09:47 PM
lookin good!!! so how many members does teh 500 club have now? I think we need a 500r forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3leggeddog
11-17-2006, 10:43 PM
looks sweet.i got my kicker the other day too.i think it'll work great.came from a 06 yz 250f.has a great bend to it to clear the frame.well we'll be up sunday to drop off 1 bike,and bring 2 home,lol.

350Xhilaration
11-17-2006, 11:06 PM
I've not ridden a 500trike, but have ridden some built CR500s and a really built 87KX500 my brother owned.

The KX was insane. Mine don't hang like yours B, but I put a decent amount of seat time on that KX and it was a very big handful. By time I could get to full throttle I had just about soiled myself. The nut job that had it prior to my brother had a dinky 42 or so tooth sprocket on the back. It felt like a street bike. I remember riding it on asphalt with balls all up on the tank and rolled through the gears and in 4th cracked the throttle and was pointing to the sky. I loved that bike.

If this CR motor runs anything like his KX did (which I'd lay money on that it will), you're in for a treat.

Great work so far Jason. Looks great. I can't wait to see the zinger!!! :eek:

3leggeddog
11-17-2006, 11:17 PM
i hope it rips!!i'm tired of underpowered machines.we all know scotts yfz is fast,but even that was not enough for me.

i've spent a good bit of time of jeff the dudes 500.pretty siick machine,with the fmf fatty,and all.but still i found myself wide open 2nd gear climbin hill in the valley.i remember thinkin thats exactly what i needed.i can't wait.

bottom line,it should be siick,and my next trip out,the first hill we go to will be the widow maker,point,and shoot!!!!!

3leggeddog
11-17-2006, 11:18 PM
o-yeah,i got these siick 500r stickers in the mail thanks to a great buddy downunder,thanks mate.very good quality!!

Jason Hall
11-17-2006, 11:31 PM
350Xhilaration, I can't wait to start on the Zinger Man. I got the motor In the mail Today. It will Be a 84 air cooled Cr60 powered stretched & suspended Zinger with red plastic & lot's of HONDA sticker's :eek:. I think this will be one of my harder project's to complete. but still look forward to doin it. My boy should really enjoy this bike. The Cr60 engine has a sweet power curve. Lot's of low end & Kx60 stompin top End.

theonlyjosh
11-17-2006, 11:39 PM
let's see some pics of the final product, i bet it's insanely fast and gunna look just 100% P.I.M.P. I think a 500 trike would be a little too much power for me to handle on a trike yet though... but i'm sure you guys all could throw it around lol. keep it up! :TrikesOwn

Jason Hall
11-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Here are the last pic's I will post. 3leggeddog will pick Er up on sunday & finish it up In Ohio.

Kintore
11-18-2006, 10:49 AM
your a master jason, that is SICK

i cant wait to see it, or ride it? :)

3leggeddog
11-18-2006, 03:23 PM
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can i come get it RIGHT NOW!!i'm stoked,see ya in the morning

3leggeddog
11-23-2006, 12:04 AM
well she's home,and we got a few more things together.i got the pipe finifshed up.painted,and ready to install.also got my kicker workin.i used a 06 yz250f dirt bike kicker.it clears the frame sweet,and fold up nice against the pipe.i turned the inside diamter of the kicker out enough to fit over the 500 lower nuckle.works great.i should have the last 2 radiator hoses ran tomorow.

i hope to be ridden it sunday.it will atleast run this weekend!i'll get some pics. this weekend.she's still dirty,and unpainted.mainly becasue i wanna wrk out all the bugs before i make her perty.in case we gotta move,reweld,grind down anything,wish me luck on my maiden voyage!

200x Basket
11-23-2006, 12:29 AM
good luck!! what do you plan to do about the rear fender / kicker interference? are you gonna pull the fenders off or make a flip seat? at 1st i pulled the fenders off and it was a pain. i them made the flip seat and i can start the bike without ever getting off!!! its not perfect but it is nice!!!! i cant wait to hear your ride report!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ATCR250R
11-23-2006, 12:32 AM
I cant wait to see this finished!!! All the 500's lately and somehow I am excited that I may be able to put together a '84 300R by next year? lol I hope none of you 500'ers invade my area soon!

3leggeddog
11-23-2006, 10:27 AM
donnu about the seat yet.i have tinkered around with some hinge at work.i can make it work,but for now,i think i'll just take the fenders off.hopefully when i cut em,the kicker will slide by,i doubt it,but it amy work without any further mods.

BigGreenMachine
11-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Blaster/Banshee fenders!

firefirefire90
11-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Wow! This is one of the Quickest 500 jobs I have seen! Jason, you do amazing work..If anyone should want to do a 500, I think you should have Jason do the frame. Thats amazing!

Jason Hall
11-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Thank's alot firefirefire90, I really dig building that kinda stuff :wondering.

3leggeddog
11-23-2006, 10:01 PM
we don't mess around man,git-r-done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

plus i don't have a running machine right now,soooooooooooooooo,gots to get her fixed up!!i can't go more then a week without ridin!

Bryan Raffa
11-23-2006, 10:04 PM
gettin there huh brandon,,Lookin Good!!!

3leggeddog
11-23-2006, 10:08 PM
yeap.i got minor things to do before sundays test ride.a new head gasket,some plumbing,and plastics.i'm gonna rip on it for a few weeks before i tear it down and redo it.after x mas she'll get a fresh coat of paint.

3leggeddog
11-23-2006, 11:35 PM
well i couldn't help but snap a few pics.those who know me well know this bike won't look like this long.what a raggggggggggggg,but she's 90% done.tomorow,while the wifeee is out spending my 500 funds lol,i'll be buttoning up the last few things.during the painting process i wanna snap alot of pics,and go into detail on how it was all done.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/500r011.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/500r010.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/500r009.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/500r008.jpg

Bryan Raffa
11-23-2006, 11:37 PM
did ya put the accu start on it? and i take it that pipe was re welded..:drool:

3leggeddog
11-23-2006, 11:50 PM
no accu start yet.jason made the pipe up there,but suggested i modify it a bit .so i cut the cone off both pipes. welded the 500 cone to the back of the 250r upper section of xpansion chamber,then cut the bent part off the 250r pipe,and welded that to the back of the 500 cone.the 500 cone was much larger in diameter,and alot longer.we already lost alot out of the expansion chamber,so this was an effort give the pipe more room inside to do it's thing.it turned out good,and fit's like a factory 250r pipe.hopefully it runs ok like this.sure would be wierd havin a out of frame pipe on my trail machine!!.lol

3leggeddog
01-10-2007, 07:11 AM
bumping this thread for another member.

350xBomb
01-16-2007, 10:04 AM
What did you do for the radiators...use the cr or the atc? How much was the lower frame dropped? loose much ground clearance?

Jason Hall
01-16-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm sure he used the 250 radiators. The lower frame cradle on a 250r Is tapered from the front to the cross over tube that has one foot peg bolt Into It. The 500 engine Is lower In the front compaired to the 250. When the frame tubes were put back In they were made to clear the 500 engine. He lost a little of the taper In the front of the lower cradle, but no total ground clearance. The replacement tubes were welded Into the cross tube In the same place as the origionals.

3leggeddog
01-16-2007, 08:22 PM
yeap,i used the 250r rads.