PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke still number 1???

NOS_350X
10-19-2006, 01:07 AM
I think this says it all.

hrc85250r
10-19-2006, 02:17 AM
YAY! but seriously, 2 stroke is and always will be #1. the only thing that isnt #1 about it is emissions, which i dont care about honestly - i know, i know but really i dont care.

smokinwrench
10-19-2006, 08:03 AM
If that is a flat track race I can beleive the banshee won. If that is the hole shot on a mx race wait till the 3rd turn the banshee will be headed to the rear of the pack.

ATC crazy
10-19-2006, 09:18 AM
How do we know the Banshee isnt about to get lapped? :lol:

Mosh
10-19-2006, 05:44 PM
looks like flat track to me.you can see a swaybar on the 450r next to the shee.i mean behind the shee

theonlyjosh
10-19-2006, 05:51 PM
looks like flattrack, but ya whatever, i don't really like 2 strokes :P

NOS_350X
10-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Yes it is flattrack. Its funny because ALL I hear at the track is that the bike is out dated and i cant compete with the 4 strokes. Well ive won more than ive lost racing those 450's. Here soon i'm going to pull off the swaybar and raise it back up and do some mx races and well see how i do there, bet ya i'm not at the back of the pack. :D

One thing the guys ive been racing this series with noticed is in the straights they cant hang with the mighty shee. When i get on a track with a long straight its all over there. That banshee just takes off.

Mosh
10-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Yes it is flattrack. Its funny because ALL I hear at the track is that the bike is out dated and i cant compete with the 4 strokes. Well ive won more than ive lost racing those 450's. Here soon i'm going to pull off the swaybar and raise it back up and do some mx races and well see how i do there, bet ya i'm not at the back of the pack. :D

One thing the guys ive been racing this series with noticed is in the straights they cant hang with the mighty shee. When i get on a track with a long straight its all over there. That banshee just takes off.:lol: :cool: :D :naughty:

G-Ram
10-19-2006, 09:24 PM
YAY! but seriously, 2 stroke is and always will be #1. the only thing that isnt #1 about it is emissions, which i dont care about honestly - i know, i know but really i dont care.

ya, caring about emissions is for wimps hahaha

Somekindofjerk
10-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Everything is going FOUR stroke, pretty soon there wont be any pingers anymore.

ATC-Eric
10-19-2006, 11:56 PM
Everything is going two stroke, pretty soon there wont be any pingers anymore.

Wha? :wondering

IrvSLedman
10-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Everything is going two stroke, pretty soon there wont be any pingers anymore.

he ment either everything 2 stroke is going, or everything is going 4 stroke. lol i got em'

hrc85250r
10-20-2006, 12:10 AM
i disagree, the 2 stroke will come back in a few years, wait and see....i promise.

250r'en +TCB
10-20-2006, 06:22 AM
i disagree, the 2 stroke will come back in a few years, wait and see....i promise.
Not so sure, once they get phased out they will be kinda forgotten (just like ATC's......:rolleyes: ) maybe years down the road a new generation of riders will look back to pingers and want them though!!!

All I know is with my 310R, I have yet to find a 450 that stands a snowballs chance in hell of beating me!!!:lol: Maybe if they wanted to turn their machine into a time bomb they might have a shot:beer

If 4-strokes are sooooooo much better, how come you need to have another 200cc's to beat us??? Start racing 250 4-bangers with 250 pingers, then it will be a fair race!!! Not that it would be much of a "race" :lol: :naughty: :D

86waterpumper
10-20-2006, 04:51 PM
2 strokes aren't gone yet, they may be crippled, but some companies still make a big investment into them especially on the bike front. KTM totally redesigned their 250sx for this year, they have gotten it down to 208 pounds, so light that it's illegal for racing, and they and gas gas continue to develop new offroad bikes as well in the gncc and enduro racing, I'd say well over 50 percent of the bikes running are still two smokers, and most of the freestyle dudes haven't switched over yet either. In the racing aspect of things, it is sort of sad, because the amateur classes, and the younger racers were where you found alot of two strokes still being ridden, basically because of their lower cost etc. With the new crf150r watercooled bikes coming out, it will shut out alot of kids that could otherwise afford to race. In alot of cases, the four strokes are faster, but that doesnt' mean they are hands down the best choice for a bike or quad either in all situations. I have read on more messageboards than I care to name about plenty of people leaving two strokes and coming back once they got tired of emptying their wallets for the new breed high strung four stroke rebuilds lol.

Mosh
10-20-2006, 04:54 PM
I use my old silencer packing for air-freshners.LOL. My 2 strokes are not going anywhere without me clinched to em.Funny thing is,I used to be a four stroke guy.

gravelord
10-20-2006, 08:56 PM
4-strokes always say how 2-strokes blow up this and that, well guess what.... at least i dont have to worry about having my engine flooded. i DONT miss flooded engines. 2-strokes such a nice easy start, great power for engine size compared to the not so advanced 4-strokes, and best of all... easier to work on and cheaper parts (half the time) ... imagine what 2-strokes would be like 10 years from now if they dont stop making them? i wonder....

Somekindofjerk
10-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Its the same as diesels. If emisions didnt beat em down they would be on everything we know and use. Diesel chainsaws, lawn mowers, everything. I think if two strokes do survive they will be heavilly modified to put out less imisions.

250rAL
10-21-2006, 07:19 PM
It used to be that 4 strokes were more complicated and harder to rebuild than 2 strokes but it didn't matter because they pretty much lasted forever. Now I've read recently of guys having major failures on year-old machines. People are going to get tired of that in a hurry. When they want to come back to 2 strokes, there won't be any. Maybe sometime 20 odd years in the future, we will come full circle and 2 strokes will be the new rage.

ceaserthethird
10-26-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm thinking of getting 2 KTM's , 2 strokes

has any one heard if KTM going to build a Quad ?

502SS
10-26-2006, 07:37 PM
It used to be that 4 strokes were more complicated and harder to rebuild than 2 strokes but it didn't matter because they pretty much lasted forever. Now I've read recently of guys having major failures on year-old machines. People are going to get tired of that in a hurry. When they want to come back to 2 strokes, there won't be any. Maybe sometime 20 odd years in the future, we will come full circle and 2 strokes will be the new rage.

There's been a good number of YFZ's around here this year that seized up and had to be fixed under warranty.

86waterpumper
10-29-2006, 04:17 PM
not sure why ktm hasn't built a quad yet, they could make a killing, the only thing I can think of is that they are going full bore as it is just to keep up with bike production. We recently rode at loretta lynns for the fall trail ride and 80 to 90 percent of the bikes there were ktms and most of them two stroke at that. In the meantime, gas gas makes some top notch quads, with high end stuff on them, both two stroke and four. They are basically race ready right out of the box, hydraulic clutches, ohlins suspension, brembo brakes, the two stroke model is a 300cc, same engine as in my ec300 dirtbike, so that means 50 or so hp, and I'm sure the 450 four stroke would have plenty power too, it's rated for 47 or so. Don't let the price scare you, they are high when new, but used ones can be had for practically nothing, as nobody much is really aware of them or hunts them up.
I see used gas gas bikes and quads both go dirt cheap on ebay, for instance a 2006 450 four stroke dirtbike that was a demo model a month or so ago went for like 3,700 or so.
http://www.grizzlycycles.com/gasgas/gasgas_quads.htm

Yamahondaman
10-29-2006, 04:28 PM
The 2 Strokers are pit bikes now ....

2strokes4life
11-02-2006, 05:58 PM
my name says it all. i will always run 2 strokes. i liked my 350x's but love my 250R's. mx quad and trike.hell with those over priced time bombs,450R's! too much money to buy,too much money to mod, and too much money to fix when the grenade after modding them.

Dirtcrasher
11-02-2006, 06:30 PM
I believe in years to come that the 2 stroke engine will come back. It is such a simple design with fewer moving parts and easy maintenance. Once the emissions are figured out they'll be back.

There are big problems with the 4 stroke motors. The smaller displacement 250 race motors aren't lasting very long at all and are making it nearly impossible for a racer to be competitive. If you can't afford a race motor then you can't keep up to the guys that are sponsored and get a new motor every weekend. Think about it, they have made these motors rev so high that they are now maintenance neccesary motors. And as far as that goes, you can't even merely pull of a cap and adjust a valve, it has to be shimmed and now there are at least four valves that need shimming - often. Even at a local expert level, these motors whether Yamaha or Honda simply don't last.

In the ATC world, we are all set. We either like the way a 2 stroke or 4 banger treats us and neither have big downfalls for the average rider. How many of us have a 20 year old 4 stroke motor completely stock?? quite a few I'll bet including me. AND, I don't HAVE to adjust the cam chain or valve lash, it won't blow up - it just ticks a bit more :D

The new 4 strokes simply aren't for me....

ATC crazy
11-02-2006, 11:53 PM
The only 2-joke I would consider owning, would be a 250R. Other than that...Im 4-stroke all the way. Torque is what it's all about, and you cant get that from a pinger unless you go to the big bores. Not to mention all the plug fouling you'd do on a 2-stroke if you dont know how to ride it.

El'Capitan
11-03-2006, 12:03 AM
well theres nothing like a 2 stroke powerband.....i just got my first 2 stroke not to long ago and im hooked. i wont go back to my X any time soon. no more 4 pokes for me

502SS
11-03-2006, 10:34 AM
The only 2-joke I would consider owning, would be a 250R. Other than that...Im 4-stroke all the way. Torque is what it's all about, and you cant get that from a pinger unless you go to the big bores. Not to mention all the plug fouling you'd do on a 2-stroke if you dont know how to ride it.

I don't believe that for one minute. I've ridden my modified '86 R all summer long with my son and his KDX50, which also means I have my youngest son riding with me. My R has spent 80% of it's time in 1st or 2nd gear this year, and I have not changed a plug yet.

2strokes4life
11-03-2006, 10:54 AM
plug fouling????? never had a problem fouling plugs in the past 20 years without a good reason.

SYKO
11-03-2006, 10:59 AM
hey KTM is building a quad!! 2 of them!! one is a 300 2 stroke!!!! helz yea!!!!! the other is a 450 4 stroker!!!, but can you belive it?! A NEW 2 STROKE QUAD!!! it may not be a trike, but it is a new 2 stroker, also since when do 2 strokes foul plugs? maybe if your riding some hillbilly tuned pos then maybe, but I have a seriosly modded R with a 40mm mikuni on it and have yet to foul a plug

NOS_350X
11-03-2006, 11:15 AM
the only times ive ever fouled plugs is when i leave the choke on by accident.

TRI-Zbrian
11-03-2006, 11:18 AM
yeah the only time i had problems with my tri z fouling plugs was when i was doing some very slow trail rideing.... wich wasnt what they are realy ment for... expecialy when there is no fan on them to assist in cooling..... and this was when i went very very slow.... normal speed trail rideing i was fine.... if you have the carb dialed in the right way on a 2 stroke and you dont mix the gas to rich you shouldnt have a problem at all... :Bounce

3Razors
11-03-2006, 11:46 AM
CC for CC a 4 stroke will never be able to compete with a 2 stroke

TRI-Zbrian
11-03-2006, 06:09 PM
CC for CC a 4 stroke will never be able to compete with a 2 stroke

agreed.... i mean look at it... for the 125 class they have 250 4 strokes and for the 250 class they have 450s .... its funny... 2 strokes are lighter... cheaper to build... they respond to mods alot better.. cheaper to rebuild.... and again like said they put out alot more power CC for CC.... its a win win situation with a 2 stroke... that crap that they dont last long and they blow up is just made up because of badely tuned machines or ones that were never taken care of.... its kind of like the idea of peeps pooring a bunch of money into a 4 cylinder VS a V8 you are alwase going to put out more power with the V8 with the same money spent no matter what...

2 strokes all the way for me....:w00t:

NOS_350X
11-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Those little 250F's are catchin the 250 2 strokes. It wont be long till they are there. Ive seen several in blaster frames with a 250f engine and i dont think there are too many 250's that can actualy hang with them. In the atv class they fit with the blasters around here they moved them up with the big bore blasters and those mini thumpers still walk away with it.

Here it is again, my banshee up front, In this race there was just the 3 of us so it was fun, we all are good fast riders and know how to ride. No one to get in our way.

3Razors
11-04-2006, 12:00 PM
In that case there is something wrong with the bike or something wrong with the rider. A good running stock stroke/bore 250r with proper mx porting and head mod's will have mid 40's hp. Something a 250F 4 stroke can only dream of.

Macs
11-04-2006, 12:55 PM
I do love the 2 strokes but i ride the thumpers alot more. This is for several reasons. the first is fuel economy. I usaully ride all day and dont want to strap gas cans all over the vehicle. Second thing is i cant tread lightly with a 2 stroke. If i have to take a hill from a dead stop i have to spin the tires all the way up it to keep the revs up. In the process i throw dirt all over the guy behind me. third is the dependability factor. I know i am going to get some disagrements but a 4 - stroke engine will last longer. On a 2 stroke a top end is ALMOST a maintenance item. I do agree that if you take care of the machine you will get extended life out of a top end but it still will not compare to a well maintained 4 stroke.

theonlyjosh
11-04-2006, 03:38 PM
I love 4 strokes, the sound, the power, the ride, everything, every 2 stroke i've rode i felt really rough and i don't like the loudness i like 4 stroke cause it sounds powerful. the only 2 stroke iw ould buy is a 250r.other than that 4 stroke 100%.

oldsking86
11-16-2006, 12:45 PM
I love 4 strokes, the sound, the power, the ride, everything, every 2 stroke i've rode i felt really rough and i don't like the loudness i like 4 stroke cause it sounds powerful. the only 2 stroke iw ould buy is a 250r.other than that 4 stroke 100%.

That's why you have such a huge dream lists of bikes because you stand for 4 strokes :crazy: THe reason why you feel 2 strokes are rough is because you can't handle the power maybe.. 4 strokes aren't bad but no where near the catagory of a 2 stroke, sorry pal..

I'll put it to you this way, I have a KX100 dirtbike and I raced my buddies 2001 warrior and whooped him by 3 quad lengths.. He's got tons more CC then me right? It's all about the power band ( and weight of course but I'm not light on that little bike haha)..

This is an old thread but I'm just reading around so

NOS_350X
11-16-2006, 09:56 PM
I'll put it to you this way, I have a KX100 dirtbike and I raced my buddies 2001 warrior and whooped him by 3 quad lengths.. He's got tons more CC then me right? It's all about the power band ..

This is an old thread but I'm just reading around so

No, its because its a dirbike vs a quad, an cr80, OR crf150r will run right with a trx450r. Dirtbikes are a he11 of alot faster than quads.

02CRF450 hp is 49.9
06 trx450 hp is 36.

bike engines rip.